Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The crazies in the northwest.

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Lots of stuff seems to have 2 or 3 names around these parts.

Tissue, Kleenex
Truck, pickup, rig
Soda, pop, cola
Semi, tractor trailer, big rig, 18 wheeler
Coho, silver
Chinook, king, blackmouth
Keta, dog salmon, chum
Pink, humpy
4 wheeler, quad, atv
Trackhoe, hoe, shovel, excavator
Bobcat, skid steer
Knuckle boom, grapple loader, log loader
Truck Cap, canopy
Reprod, second growth, dog hair

The annoyance is when folks know exactly what’s being discussed yet still point out the word use.
Like with clip and magazine. If you know what the guys taking about when he says he has a 30 round clip. Then it’s fine.

Rick
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
BJ when it's obviously a SJ.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
BJ when it's obviously a SJ.

I have pondered on this myself.

Scared the shït out of me? More like it scared it back into me, with the pucker factor.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I was perplexed by the term hummer for years, then late one night.....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have always thought fountains were "burblers" for many reasons.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Valsdad
T,

And a "Coke" is a Coke (tm) not a generic term for a soda..................and there is no "pop" attached to the soda word.............it's just a soda.

Not to hijack the thread or anything but I wish "...a coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be..."

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Tin foil

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Unthaw

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems to me your post is based on the misconception that the way words are used is somehow prescribed, perhaps by some official determination, rather than evolving and changing over time and varying from location to location and group to group.

I'd say yes and no.

Somebody mentioned the French. The French have a governmental agency that attempts to enforce rules. They especially want to keep foreign words out of the popular jargon when they conflict with existing French terminology.

We don't have any particular governmental agency, but we do have some private entities that try to enforce standard usage. As an example, when I got into journalism, everyone was expected to use the Associated Press style book as a reference. It had grammar rules, but it also had some actual words. When I got to college, everyone had to get a copy of Turabian's Manual of Style which followed what was called "The Chicago Method." It was more about grammar, but it did have some rules about how to pronounce things. When I got into Broadcasting, I had to submit to an evaluation of my speech, and I was given a list of deficiencies that I had to clean up. I remember the one that really rang the bell: "Dubya instead of Double-You." I was told I'd never get a job in radio if I could not pronounce the call sign properly. It was funny, because I'd grown up next door to Powell Crosley's brother, Louis. They'd started WLW radio as a way to sell their radios, and then went on to own the Cincinnati Reds. Lou said "Dubya-El-Dubya." and "Sin-sin-Na-ta." They also funded the Crosley School Of Broadcasting that I was attending at the Univ. of Cincinnati. He and his brother, Powell had grown up on a farm on the north side of Cincinnati, and were just good old farm boys. There was a mini-dialect of Anglo-Protestant farmers that was spoken on the fringes of Cincinnati that is now totally gone. It differed considerably from the Dutch-Protestant truck farmers and was different still from the Germans. When a guy opened his mouth back in the day, you could tell where he was from and what church he attended.

Bottom line: Americans don't have any carved-in-stone rules, but there are influences that force us to a standard speech.

I really interesting case is KYHillChick. She has two modes. The one is a very effete-sounding Midwest accent. That's her day-to-day speech. The other turns on when she gets below Richmond, Kentucky, or when she gets a long distance call from her family down at the KY-TN border. Pronunciation, grammar, her whole affect changes. It has to do with fact she went through accent-reduction training at Berea college during her degree program and then 30 years as a secretary up north here in Cincinnati. As soon as she gets close to home, it's like she's kicking off her shoes.

Me? As I said, I entered college with a quite a few quirks. My father was 2nd Gen German-American-- spoke German until he entered Kindergarten. I've got a lot of leftovers from that in my own speech. The other is being in what's called "Mid-Ohio." I was several years out of college, and well beyond my last air shift in radio before I realized that I'd started to lose my native mode of speaking, and I made a point of reintroducing it back into my everyday speech.

Stuff that's still in my vocabulary:

1) Everything is jake if it's okay, copacetic, or all right. If you are worried about whether your buddy is mad at you, you say, "Are we jake?"

2) If I've had business dealing with a man, I've had truck with him.

3) When it's time to go, I how up. That one perplexed me all my life. I even asked my dad. He'd forgotten. I finally realized Dad was in the pack artillery in WWII. They shot 75mm howitzers, carried on mules. To "how up" is the same as "pack-up" in the infantry. Duh.

4) When I can't hear what someone is saying, I say "Please?" It's from the German , "Bitte?" I picked that up in 1st grade. My teacher was a German Catholic. They all had that idiom. When I moved into a predominantly Catholic neighborhood as a kid, it stuck.

5) I make the mistake frequently of saying "What can I do to you?" It's a German-related quirk that I picked up from my father. You're supposed to say "What can I do for you?" It's gotten me into trouble a couple of times.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The amusing irony is that some of the examples given in this thread are actually non sequiturs, which means the examples themselves are misnomers.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Hot water heater????

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The world continues to go round-n-round, but....

Channel locks for slip joint pliers
Crescent wrench for adjustable wrench
Alemite for zerk fitting

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Once a spike-always a spike

Scrub buck

Meat hunter

Red herrings

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
‘Nother” as in, “that’s whole ‘nother’ ballgame”.

Don’t know if it’s incorrect or not but it bugs me when the local weather guesser says, “blah, blah, blah, to your north” vs “to the north”. I didn’t think one could possess a direction.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about "mango" for a green pepper? I started running into that about 30 years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Oriented vs Orientated

Hot tub vs hot tube

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
My all time favorite is the term "slingshot" being used for another type of stone launcher.

😉

Last edited by kaywoodie; 12/08/20.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
One I have never understood is calling the cupboard at camp a "press".

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r

Don’t know if it’s incorrect or not but it bugs me when the local weather guesser says, “blah, blah, blah, to your north” vs “to the north”. I didn’t think one could possess a direction.

Fine hair splitting: If you're a local weatherperson, it helps to say "our north." The point is to include yourself in the audience. If you're a national weather nitwit, you should say "your north." Sometimes on a national or regional scale one guy's north is another guy's south. Yeah, I know, confusing. However, think of how a low-pressure center moves east. Chicago may get it as preciptation from one direction. Lousiville might get from another.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (7mm_Loco, 264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,708 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,060
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.