Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I am trying to help a friend find a Ruger heavy barrel 77/17 HMR for the upcoming Ground Squirrel season (this spring) and my searching and inquiries have stunned me!
For example there is a Ruger 77/22 Magnum heavy barrel on gunbreaker right now that has had 26 bids and the current high bid for this Rifle is $2,000.00 (two thousand dollars!)!
This Rifle is described as "might be new in the box"?

I will provide the link: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885816813

Yikes, is an understatement I now surmise.

Then there is a used Ruger 77/17 WSM that has six days to go on its gunbreaker auction and is currently bid up to $1,381.00 (20 bids!)!

I understand that many models of the 77/22's and 77/17's have been discontinued but to gain this much in value (apparently!) is again stunning to me.
Maybe I will open another venue in my gun chasing/trading/acquisitioning?
By the way the few Ruger 77/17 HMR heavy barrels I have seen of recent I advised against my friend pursuing them, as "I" thought their asking prices were to high - maybe I was giving bad advice?
What have you'all seen in your areas regarding the heavy barrel Ruger 77/17's and 77/22's
TIA
If I could only see into the future - life would be so much easier.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When one can buy a new Cooper for about the same price - I don't think so.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They don't make these anymore, so guys that want them will pay big bucks online for them. This is nothing new. You see the same thing with many other hard to get rifles. Ruger m77 boat paddles, pre 64 winchester model 70's, etc. etc.. I wouldn't pay the exorbitant prices you see online, when you can buy something very similar these days with the RAR rimfires. If a guy is looking for a using rifle, there is nothing wrong with the RAR. It is not as refined as the 77, but its good enough for killing squirrels with... As for what I've seen in regards to these Ruger heavy barreled rifles. I've seen them in the $7-800 range locally.. As I've said many times before, I've seen some stupid crazy chidt on gunbroker. Who knows if some of these sales are legitimate or not?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Bsa1917hunter: I agree on the weird things seen and done on gunbreaker - I don't participate there myself at all just trying to get a line on a Ruger 77/17 HMR for my friend.
I don't trust that place after being "invited" to aid in bid fluffing and seen so many bad deals emanate from there.
But that is just me - seems 26 bids on a single Rifle shows some intensity credibility there?

Cooper57M: I agree with you on that assessment - but still I am awed by the prices and popularity (lots of bids on similar guns!) of these rimfire Ruger 77's?
I know I am now motivated to "adjust" my values on my personal inventory of guns by what I have seen of late on these discontinued Rugers.
I am hoping the gunshows here in the northern Rockies will get rollin again - soon.
I may head over to the Post Falls, Idaho gunshow upcoming (December 12th & 13th) as a collector friend relayed to me yesterday that show is still on.
We'll see.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Think I’d just get a few CZs for that kind of money

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
VG,

That rifle may have sold to a collector as it’s an unusual configuration, not having the laminated stock that is typical of the varmint barrel models. Since there are not that many variations for this model family, I’ve seen some collectors try to get one of each. All it takes is two bidders that want it, and the price can get stupid high!

These are more typical of what I’ve seen for the varmint barrels selling lately:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885869085
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/886239992
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/886486208

I won’t be shocked if any of these approach $1000, given the crazy prices these days.

If your buddy is not firm on getting that exact model, he should consider buying a standard blued .22 mag with sporter barrel (~$650) and installing a factory take-off varmint barrel (~$100), or a even custom barrel.

Good luck with the search.

Rich

"One useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a Congress."
- John Adams
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Bsa1917hunter: I agree on the weird things seen and done on gunbreaker - I don't participate there myself at all just trying to get a line on a Ruger 77/17 HMR for my friend.
I don't trust that place after being "invited" to aid in bid fluffing and seen so many bad deals emanate from there.
But that is just me - seems 26 bids on a single Rifle shows some intensity credibility there?

Cooper57M: I agree with you on that assessment - but still I am awed by the prices and popularity (lots of bids on similar guns!) of these rimfire Ruger 77's?
I know I am now motivated to "adjust" my values on my personal inventory of guns by what I have seen of late on these discontinued Rugers.
I am hoping the gunshows here in the northern Rockies will get rollin again - soon.
I may head over to the Post Falls, Idaho gunshow upcoming (December 12th & 13th) as a collector friend relayed to me yesterday that show is still on.
We'll see.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Do your buddy a favor and tell him to get a CZ457 or even a Savage 93.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I keep reading about these crazy guns and ammo prices. Because of my financial situation and age I am downsizing my collection a bit. When I try to sell some of my firearms and ammo I don't get anything near what I see/hear. That said I am certainly getting more than I would have gotten say a year ago.

Regarding the specifics on 77/22s I sold mine several years ago to help fund a Cooper JSR. No regrets on that decision. Also despite my downsizing the Cooper is not on the for sale list.

Last edited by silver78; 12/07/20.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The pop up in local stores occasionally. Last one i saw a couple months ago was 650

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I may head over to the Post Falls, Idaho gunshow upcoming (December 12th & 13th) as a collector friend relayed to me yesterday that show is still on."

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know anything about it.

I will be there!

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I obtained one of those about 2+ years ago... Got rid of that horrendous 'target gray' and it's now back to SS... Nice rifle.. I had NO idea that a similar specimen is bringing that kind of coin.. Hmmm.. Do I REALLY need one of these? laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I see them though not as commonly as other 77/22 variants. Retail locally up to $750. Gun Shows about the same but seller sometimes has more room for negotiation and or trade. Last show before COVID $575 for a 22WMR. Guy was walking around with it for $650. No takers and he didn’t want to take it home. Shipped it to CPC for a full ”Tune” which really shrunk the groups.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Redneck: Interesting your removal of the "Ruger target gray".
My lifelong friend Jack from Yelm, Washington (who passed on this summer) over the years "removed" the gray from several Ruger Rifles.
If I recall correctly he sandblasted the "finish" and let it stand as sandblasted!
I saw a few of these Rifles and they, indeed, looked better to my eye (as well as Jack's).
Yes the "profit seeking" side of me is also contemplating trading in some of my 77 rimfires!
By the way my first Ruger 77/17 HMR V/T came with the traditional bright stainless finish - it was from the first year production run of those and I have only seen two others of these early bright stainless finished 77/17 HMR's.
And I tried, unsuccessfully, to buy both of those - I really like the looks of those early 77/17 HMR's.
How do you remove the lacquer like looking easily "marred" "target gray" from the Rugers?
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Powered brush wheel.. Whole thing took about 20 mns... I got rid of ALL of it... Rifle looks 100% better now..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Its getting close to Xmas.
People pay silly prices to secure an exact gift.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I can’t fathom spend 10% of that amount for an inaccurate rifle. Spend a similar amount or far less and get a gun that will out shoot the Ruger, even after you replace the barrel, trigger, shim the bolt and free float the barrel.

NRA Patron
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Dale06: If, in your travels, you come across one of these Rifles for $200.00 (like you refer to!) I will gladly buy that Rifle from you for twice what you paid for it!
Plus shipping and insurance!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dale06
I can’t fathom spend 10% of that amount for an inaccurate rifle. Spend a similar amount or far less and get a gun that will out shoot the Ruger, even after you replace the barrel, trigger, shim the bolt and free float the barrel.
Mine's been fairly decent... Loves a certain manufacturer and dislikes the other three I tried.. I usually like to keep a new rifle as-is.....so when or if I decide to sell it it's not modified at all sans the crap gray finish.. But - since I have removed the gray I'm tempted to try two things: first - a new and proper crown.. Test fire. If similar results, then glass bed/free float and try again...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Redneck: I bought a heavy barrel Browning T-Bolt (with a beautiful walnut stock!) in 22 Magnum a year and a half ago and when testing ammunition it shot the Norma hollow-point ammunition the best.
I mean it shot this stuff really well!
Of course after the initial carton of that Norma ammo ran out (Ground Squirrel Hunting!) I can't find any more of it.
Some on this forum think that CCI made this ammo for Norma - it if that helps any?
Good luck and let us know how its going.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cooper57m
When one can buy a new Cooper for about the same price - I don't think so.

If anyone had a clue what BB (Cooper57m) has done with a 22lr you might listen to him...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,555
Posts18,491,722
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.