Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Just a reminder if you live in the NW and make a trip to the coast. This cheit will kill your dog! One of mine just now getting over what is being treated as salmon poisoning. 3 days in the hospital. $$. Very rough on a dog.

If up to a week after visiting the coast they start diarrhea, maybe vomiting.. then not eating/drinking... Get them to a vet ASAP.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Went through this twice with my golden. Good old garbage gut retriever/lab. A friend of mine also from Oregon just went through this a couple weeks ago. It’s no joke and will quickly get expensive. After the second time my golden had it the vet gave me enough medicine to treat the third time if needed. Thankfully I never needed it. Tons of misinformation about dogs becoming immune once they get it. NOT TRUE.

Last edited by LowerRiver; 12/12/20.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Explain please.

Dogs can't eat salmon?
Or just too much?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Salmon poisoning is a parasite dogs can get from eating raw anadromous fish. Usually only an issue along the west coast streams and rivers. Pretty much deadly if not treated and very expensive if not treated quickly.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
^ Yep.
6 years ago a different Lab of mine got it. I hadn't been near the coast.. best I can figure it was from a buddy having cooked some salmon fillets. A drop of blood must have hit the ground and the dog licked it up. VERY nearly lost the dog, cost me thousands of $.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No issue for humans?

The best thing about the 'fire for me is this.
I have learned so much stuff from outside my sphere, it's amazing.
Useless for me maybe, but darn interesting.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Dillonbuck
Nope, no issue for us people. It's one of the peculiarities of living near the coast from northern California to Alaska.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not an issue in Alaska was shocked after 30 years in Oregon to come to Alaska and see dogs eating raw salmon.

https://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/outreach/Pet-Health-Topics/categories/diseases/salmon-poisoning

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
^ That makes sense as I think salmon are sometimes fed to team dogs.
Looked up distribution of the disease and found this:

"Geographic Distribution: Coastal areas of Washington, Oregon, northern California, British Columbia, Brazil (2004)"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Not an issue in Alaska was shocked after 30 years in Oregon to come to Alaska and see dogs eating raw salmon.

https://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/outreach/Pet-Health-Topics/categories/diseases/salmon-poisoning

That was interesting... another critter has had a name change since I went to school...
Vector was not Nanophyetus salmincola, but Trogalatrema (sp?)salmincola. And the bacteria it carries is the real problem. Lost a Brittany to it while in college.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by longarm
Just a reminder if you live in the NW and make a trip to the coast. This cheit will kill your dog! One of mine just now getting over what is being treated as salmon poisoning. 3 days in the hospital. $$. Very rough on a dog.

If up to a week after visiting the coast they start diarrhea, maybe vomiting.. then not eating/drinking... Get them to a vet ASAP.

Thank God your dog survived. I visit the coast always have the e collar on or leash and never out of sight

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thank you Ribka!

I took her out this morning for what turned out to be a peak goose experience. She was absolutely on fire this morning, just perfect. I was so impressed. A buddy and I filled our two-man limit of Canada geese by 10:30. Six small Cackling and two larger Lessers.
We were right on the X. At one point there were 2000 - 4000 geese on the grass in front of us, the sky just seemed filled with them pouring in. Jules sat perfectly still, never made a sound.
Her best retrieved today was after a wounded Lesser. It was flying horizontally about 3 ft off the ground. Jules was in full speed pursuit behind it. At about 250 yards out she jumped into the air and grabbed it by the ass! Boom!
Asleep in her bed now, one more day of antibiotics to wrap up the salmon poisoning treatment.

I'm a very, very grateful fella today.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]350z wallpaper

Last edited by longarm; 12/14/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I almost lost a lab pup to it years ago. It was from a trout. Poor pup was sicker than hell and yes the vet bill was expensive.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
I almost lost a lab pup to it years ago. It was from a trout. Poor pup was sicker than hell and yes the vet bill was expensive.

Ditto.

Current hound licked several trout we caught. Several days later. Off to the vet for a 3 night stay.

Buku Bucks!

😎🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just seen this Dan, thank god Jules made er through!! Good hunt yesterday too, she looks happy. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. One of those things where some fish are carriers and others of the same guild are not. One may get through several sessions with fish and dogs and on the 10th go around, down they go.

1Minute
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Lost a dog to this years ago. Be careful out there.

SGT. USMC 72-75
DAV
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Sorry to hear that Idbob

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thank you Ribka!

I took her out this morning for what turned out to be a peak goose experience. She was absolutely on fire this morning, just perfect. I was so impressed. A buddy and I filled our two-man limit of Canada geese by 10:30. Six small Cackling and two larger Lessers.
We were right on the X. At one point there were 2000 - 4000 geese on the grass in front of us, the sky just seemed filled with them pouring in. Jules sat perfectly still, never made a sound.
Her best retrieved today was after a wounded Lesser. It was flying horizontally about 3 ft off the ground. Jules was in full speed pursuit behind it. At about 250 yards out she jumped into the air and grabbed it by the ass! Boom!
Asleep in her bed now, one more day of antibiotics to wrap up the salmon poisoning treatment.

I'm a very, very grateful fella today.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]350z wallpaper

How awesome is that!? Glad so see your girl on the mend and doing what she loves. Had to treat a dog of mine for SP as well. She chewed the head off a steelhead I caught. Took her to the vet immediately and got her on antibiotics, she recovered none the worse for wear.

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks ryoushi, we are heading out in the morning for ducks.
Glad yours recovered too.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks ryoushi, we are heading out in the morning for ducks.
Glad yours recovered too.

How'd you do? I've hunted the valley quite a bit but never really figured those birds out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would trout carry this?

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
JimHnSTL,
Any anadromous fish in the NW.

ryoushi,
Mallards and woodies tucked up in their hidey-holes. It's all jump shooting now, hardly see any flying at all. I watch the river level compulsively this time of year and know where the little flooded spots are that they like. No decoys and more sneaking around.. my favorite kind of duck hunting

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a couple heelers and wouldn't think about feeding them raw salmon. Yea, I know mushers feed salmon to their dogs. Anyway, many years ago (probably 30 or 40), I brought home a bunch of salmon and filleted and packed them up in the kitchen for freezing. Buddies and I were having a few beers during the process and I didn't feel like taking much time with the skin, bones and other sh*t. I threw the garbage bags with the salmon remnants out next to garbage barrel. The next morning I went out to take care of the garbage bags and there was small sh*t piles all over the floor of my boat. One hell of a mess. The squirrels had fed on the salmon revenants, got sick and puked that sh*t all over the floor of my boat. My fault so I'm not blaming the squirrels. Never found a dead squirrel but I know it didn't sit well with them. I think they probably crawled off and died. I suppose I would have. Nope, no raw salmon for my dogs. JMHO

Last edited by DouginAlaska; 01/22/21.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Wow, I never heard of salmon poisoning. Just saw this post now... after feeding my dog some salmon tonight. Thankfully it seems like it shouldn’t be an issue as it was cooked and leftover from my 3 year olds plate of dinner.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
It's not the salmon per se, it's a microscopic 'fluke' that is hosted in a freshwater snail in the PNW. Any anadromous fish can host the fluke, and the bacteria in the fluke, and dogs being dogs, an otter carcass, or fish duck, or heron poop, can infect your dog. Watch for distemper type symptoms with diarrhea...get the dog to the vet or get some ringers lactate and a needle from vet supply...quick. Dehydration...It is more often than not fatal.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.