#15491372 12/05/20
P
PWN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
[Linked Image]
1984 at the Lost Creek trialhead near Creede, Colorado. My uncle and I packed in about 9 miles to some high country trout steams and beaver ponds for 7 days of fishing and camping. My pack was a large ALICE and was stuffed with about 75 pounds of crap. I can't believe I toted canned goods and 5 pounds of potatoes to fry with the trout we were going to catch. My uncle carried a NVA pack he used in the war on a medium ALICE. His pack was equally as heavy and he had a 6 pack of Cokes and a canned ham. I hope the two quart canteens I had strapped to the side were empty, but as young, tough and dumb as I was they were probably full. Our tent was a tarp and we slept in ponchos with liners on military pads. Travel "light" freeze at night. Damn it was fun and we caught and ate more Brookies and Cutts than you can imagine.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How the hell did anyone ever kill things with external frame packs, wood stocked rifles and no Mountain House? Inquiring minds want to know.

That's not to say technology and equipment advances are a bad thing. I wouldn't want to be out and about trying to make fire without a lighter and some sort of fire starter, or doing everything with a blacksmith forged spring steel blade.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

We NOW carry 200lb of ultra-lite gear!

It's not the cast iron stove that throws me off my stride...it's the 50lb sack of potatoes!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Great picture. We did a few of those trips, I do remember the tiny cast iron pan and coleman white gas stove. Seemed crazy until we broke out the steaks, but you can't live on ramen alone.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The most phenomenal packer I ever saw was many years ago in Idaho. We were camped at a lake 8 miles back in the White Cloud Mtns. A guy came in behind us with 2 young daughters. He had their 3 sleeping bags, one of the old fashioned umbrella tents with the spider in the top, about 9x9', and a large cast iron frying pan. His pack had to have been well over 75lb.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dang dude, besides the pack, were you skidding out logs too?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
PWN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I forgot to mention I also had an Coleman single burner stove full of fuel also.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You are a poet...at least your feet know it for they are longfelllows,

P
PWN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Odd angle on the photo or on the photo of a photo I posted. At the time I wore a size 9.5 jungle boot.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My shoulders & back hurt just looking at that picture, lot's of large ruck memories ; - )

...and looks like your 1SG also required issued green jungle boots be dyed black, I had weird dye marks on my feet and socks for months...

Last edited by stealthgoat; 12/09/20.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The "canned ham" part cracked me up smile

Well played. I'f I'm gonna hump a 6-pack, coke is not the likely load.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yours truly, getting ready for a week long winter climbing trip in the Presidential Range of NH's White Mountains. Post Christmas 1977. I was 16 years old and had just done a 2.5 mo's/650+ mile walk on the Appalachian Trail. Pic doesn't show the 6lb snowshoes. Total weight was right at 75lbs. Considering I weighed no more than 140 lbs I'd say that's a lot of weight. smile

We climbed the bulk of the peaks, sleeping just below timberline in -15*F temps. Had a blast...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I inherited the same crampons and have that same Ice ax in my "tool collection" wall.

Great pic!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

I inherited the same crampons and have that same Ice ax in my "tool collection" wall.

Great pic!

Ha!

Salewa Crampons, and a 55 cm Forrest Mountaineering Axe. I still have the crampons, but the axe is long gone having given way to a 60 cm Chouinard axe (circa 1980) that I still have.

Will say, in my late 50's (59) packing out 75-85 lbs of elk is a lot tougher.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looks like a Jansport D3 pack? I'm same age and still have a D2. Damn thing could hold a lot of heavy stuff:) I used it on a back pack trip a couple summers ago and sometimes use it pack out game if I can't get access to horses.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, D3... the "wings" cracked from weight the first few weeks using it in July 1977 in NC. Overall, was a good pack.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have one of the wood handle axes similar to the one in your pic... Camp-Interalp...I think they made them for REI, years ago. I have an old maybe 1930s era forged ax I'll try to get a pic of.

For alpine, am using a modern BD Raven and have some BD graphite alpine and water ice tools.

That blue ax in the pack pic was sold through REI, too and I have a steep drooping pick hammer from the same line.

Got a collection of ice screws, old school to modern.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
sleeping just below timberline in -15*F temps. Had a blast...

That is cold! What bag were you using then for that?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hauled my D3 all over Colorado in the 80’s, loved that pack and the places it took me to.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

I have one of the wood handle axes similar to the one in your pic... Camp-Interalp...I think they made them for REI, years ago. I have an old maybe 1930s era forged ax I'll try to get a pic of.

For alpine, am using a modern BD Raven and have some BD graphite alpine and water ice tools.

That blue ax in the pack pic was sold through REI, too and I have a steep drooping pick hammer from the same line.

Got a collection of ice screws, old school to modern.

Joe, the ash handled axe above is indeed an REI Camp/Interalp model. It's a 90 cm "walking length" axe I picked up in the late 70's. I too have a BD Raven, which is incredibly light compared to the old warhorses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 54 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,074
Posts18,482,669
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.