Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Use to be until a took a crack at a nice Mule Deer buck at 560 yards in Idaho unit 55 back in 96. I killed that buck it's hanging in my den but after that I put a variable on the Sako

Secured with Optilocks, right?😂

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Much as I truly like the 6X, the dirty little secret is that lurking inside every 3-9X (etc) there's a 6x...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skeen
[quote=GRIZZ]Use to be until a took a crack at a nice Mule Deer buck at 560 yards in Idaho unit 55 back in 96. I killed that buck it's hanging in my den but after that I put a variable on the Sako

Secured with Optilocks, right?😂[/quote. 1996 dumb fuqk... Opticlocks were not around back then. I didn't start using them until way later. Get a clue.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have one 6x, a 6x36 Leupold with their post & duplex reticle on my M70 FW 30-06. I had a 6x42 HD and traded it for a Big Bore 3x HD for my M99 Sav. The 6x36 is perfect on my FW.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 65BR
Which 1-6 ?

SWFA SS HD 1-6x24. Heavier than I’d prefer by quite a lot, but man do I like this thing. And it was a demo for well under $500.

Edit: and as noted above, one of the stops on the dial is 6x. Though I find I like 2.5x.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One of my go-to, do everything BG rifles wears a Leupold 6xLR. It's on a .280AI, with the load I'm using I sight the bottom dot in at 400 yards. Then the first dot is very close at 300 yards. Anything under 250 yards or so is a hold straight on and shoot.

Last edited by super T; 12/16/20.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Brad
Much as I truly like the 6X, the dirty little secret is that lurking inside every 3-9X (etc) there's a 6x...

There's a 6x lurking inside of every 6x too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is an interesting discussion. I have have more than a few rifles set up wit 1-4, 1.5-6, 2-12, and 2.5-10 none of them get off the bottom number until I have a target where I need the higher X's. I have as many or more critters that come all the way into shoelace range as I do hang up where I need a higher power. Leaving any of my scopes at 6x would cost me fur. I do have a number of scopes up to 20x- 32x but there for colony varmints and paper.

I mainly hunt coyotes now when I killed a lot of deer my main scope was a 1-3, 1-4,and 1.5-4.5 on bolt action or Sav 99's. My deer hunting was all still hunting or tracking.

Last edited by erich; 12/16/20.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Use to be until a took a crack at a nice Mule Deer buck at 560 yards in Idaho unit 55 back in 96. I killed that buck it's hanging in my den but after that I put a variable on the Sako

Yep, guess it’s better to have it and not use it, than not have it and wished ya did. Never had problems with a variable scope, ever. Lucky sumbitch yet again!! 😂😂 carry on

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Originally Posted by MichieD
Originally Posted by Judman
With all the “reliable “ glass nowadays, why is fixed a thing? Never seen the allure of a fixed scope, especially 6x..

When you always looking at hairy critters with the same magnification, everything becomes easier. Lots of 1-4 or 1-6 scopes these days, I have a few, the 1-4's never leave 4x and the 1-6's never leave 6x. Same with several other variables, they stay in one place.

If there is an advantage to more moving parts/lens/prisms, I don't know what it is.

This is the reason I finally converted most of my rifles to fixed power scopes. I found in hunting situations that I wasn't ever changing the power setting. I would zoom in at the range, get the rifle zero'd and then set the scope on 3x 4x or 6x and never change it. Finally gave up most of my variables and swapped out for Leupold 6x36s (FX-IIs and M8s) along with a couple Weaver Classics in 4x and 6x.

Me too!

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Funny thing is, though, there's no 3 or 9 in there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman

Yep, guess it’s better to have it and not use it, than not have it and wished ya did. Never had problems with a variable scope, ever. Lucky sumbitch yet again!! 😂😂 carry on

Gotta get ur azz of the couch and actually use something to have problems!!

Come on man, get with the fuggin program here!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by liliysdad

Funny thing is, though, there's no 3 or 9 in there.

That's apparently tough to grasp smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Not tough to grasp but as I pointed out earlier there are actual reasons like one less lens element compared to variables that give them an advantage and then their is the view. I did about a 8 scope comparison one time all against a swarovski 30mm fixed 6. Had variables from leupold a few 1 inch and 30mm mark4s, burris, Swarovski, leica and s&b. All set on 6x the Swarovski 6x was markedly superior to the leupold and burris scopes. And although really no brighter than other alpha glass as far as anything usable it was definitely easier to get behind and felt clearer to me.

Just my 2 cents. I like them all , getting snobby about glad as I get older and fatter. Lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by micky
Some have asked about the Meopta. It is a very good scope, but if you can find the Kahles or Swaro, go that route. I like the Kahles the best for optics with the S&B close on its heels, but the S&B (klassic I think) is heavy. I don’t have a PMII but if anyone wants to trade, I am gun rich and cash poor right now. The Meopta is the best readily available scope there is IMO, now that we’re back on topic.

For the price, the Leupold 6x36 or SWFA are really good too. I really enjoy the AO of the SWFA and the reticle for squirrels hunting. I doubt SWFA had that in mind but the combo is very effective. Tube length on the Leupold is the best I have found for a scope that doesn’t have a straight tube.

If you have a gun that kicks like a mule and want to add some weight, the IOR and Kaps are your huckleberry. The IOR is tank with good optics. The Kaps has better glass at less weight.

Once you get into the Weaver, Burris, Nikon, Sightron realm, they all work fine but once you play with the higher end stuff you will likely stay with those. I do like these on brush style guns. With longer eye relief, a fixed on a slug gun or 45/70 or 444 just work very well.

Micky

Working on a Kaps now. Waiting on a phone call from the dealer. Seems to be a good balance of quality, weight, and reticle. Pretty sure it’s going on my Fieldcraft if he comes through with it.

Carried a Weaver K6 a bit this season. Not the best for every situation, but a good choice for sitting and waiting on something to
wander by, which is what I generally do, and not too much power for offhand shooting.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Unit 55. Very possibly the greatest deer hunt in Idaho, outside (maybe) of the ridiculously hard to draw November rut hunts.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by 65BR
Which 1-6 ?

SWFA SS HD 1-6x24. Heavier than I’d prefer by quite a lot, but man do I like this thing. And it was a demo for well under $500.

Edit: and as noted above, one of the stops on the dial is 6x. Though I find I like 2.5x.

Same here. Wished I had 4-5 more for that money.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Unit 55. Very possibly the greatest deer hunt in Idaho, outside (maybe) of the ridiculously hard to draw November rut hunts.

Would you zip it Ted!!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
😂😂 fuuckin rookies

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
6x fan but might be “was a 6x fan” after I mount up a 3-9 SWFA. We’ll taste the Kool-Aid and see WTF

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,719
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.