Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by Brad

There's no reason for most people to own a chronograph. If you use tested loads from a manual and are taking shots at 200 yards or less, you don't need one. Please don't feel that your response was unappreciated. smile All the best.

I must simply disagree.

All barrels/chambers are different. I'm working with two rifles right now, that if I used max published data I'd be Waaaay over max pressure. In the day and age of an $89 chronograph I think it's borderline irresponsible not to own one. Velocity data is quite literally 50% (and more) of the handloading equation.

We'll have to agree to disagree. You could make that argument with people who reload and may not follow the recipes in their manuals, but if you follow the book and the rules of working up loads, you will not be way over max. There will always be exceptions, but I have never heard about or read of a reloader who was injured with a book load. Now, I am sure someone will chime in with just such a story, but they are clearly the exception, not the rule.

What's it like to live in the Stone Age?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by noKnees
I have to agree that speed is a key metric for load work up.

Having a chrono can help, but it is only part of the work up. I agree, knowing the velocity is good, but reloaders have to know what they are looking at, They have to be able to recognize problems with more than just velocity.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Brad
What's it like to live in the Stone Age?

Mercifully, I do not. I have learned a lot over the years, but one is technology does not always make up for bad judgment.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

This year, one of my 270's was packing a 160g NPt with 59.2g of IMR7977 with WW cases and WLR primer--the same as Hodgdon was using in their pressure data--for an average velocity at 2804 fps with a 22" bbl.

Hodgdon's max charge was 60g and using a 24" bbl. I'm assuming Hodgdon's is using piezo pressure gun, and the chamber would be at SAAMI minimum specs which tends to produce more velocity than our joe average bbls, factory or custom.

My rule of thumb is to subtract 20fps per inch of bbl when comparing my loads to pressure data. In other words my 58.2g of powder is probably right there at max pressure. 60g would be most likely be over pressure and as it's been noted by JB and other articles I've read pressure signs don't generally show up until well over pressure.

Your response outlines one of the dangers of using a chronograph when doing load work ups, and why reloaders can get into trouble.

Imagine for a moment that a new reloader reads in his manual that a certain bullet and load will generate 2800 fps. Does he confirm how the manual determined the velocities? Does he know the barrel length of the barrel used in the manual? using what equipment? Does the manual even publish this information?

Let's say the manual states that they used a 24 inch barrel and got 2800 fps. Our reloader has a rifle with a 22 inch barrel. He loads the max and only gets 2720 fps - according to his chrono.Assuming his chrono is accurate, he decides that he can increase the amount of powder until he attains 2800 fps. Can he?

If he sacrifices the correct color of chicken, yes.

But seriously, of course he can. He can schit in his own shoes if he wants to. Is it safe to load over-pressure? Likely. But the question becomes, "When does it become unsafe?" A few thousand PSI, say to 68K PSI MAP on a very consistent load velocity-wise, likely isn't going to be noticed, let alone likely unsafe.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
..But seriously, of course he can. He can schit in his own shoes if he wants to. Is it safe to load over-pressure? Likely. But the question becomes, "When does it become unsafe?" A few thousand PSI, say to 68K PSI MAP on a very consistent load velocity-wise, likely isn't going to be noticed, let alone likely unsafe.

Again, I have to look at all the companies who publish manuals. They have to assume that their readers will follow their instructions. It's never wise to ignore your manual unless you know what you are doing. Publishers cannot make that assumption, so not having a chrono won't put you in harm's way. Follow the manual's advice and everything will be fine.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not used my Chrony since I developed 400 grain Cape Buff loads for my Winchestrb1895 .405 WCF. There were good book loads to follow that included load and velocity, but not pressure. My Chrony and I matched them well , down to 1 foot second. This ammo was very carefully loaded with TAC and the results were gratifying. The final load matched the book exactly and the average shot to shot deviation was zero, so I stopped at 2076 fps for the .411 Woodleigh buff loads. FWIW, they were accurate and deadly in Africa.
I used my Pressure Test II to compare this ammo with factory Hornady 300 grain ammo and some of my other handloads. Pressures were safe, but still running above that stated in a couple of my load books. So, I switched to VV N133 which has a reputation for running 10,000 - 12,000 PSI lower than most popular powders and BINGO, same velocity 10,000 psi lass; actually dropped below 40,000 psi! Good for my Simson Suhl .405 DR also. Another Win Win deal!

So, it appears that my old Chony is still "good enough" for my needs for a few more years.

BTW, I hand loaded for my .308 at first until Hornady came out with Light Magnum ammo and I have used that ever since and it is accurate and my old M70 FWT loves it.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

This year, one of my 270's was packing a 160g NPt with 59.2g of IMR7977 with WW cases and WLR primer--the same as Hodgdon was using in their pressure data--for an average velocity at 2804 fps with a 22" bbl.

Hodgdon's max charge was 60g and using a 24" bbl. I'm assuming Hodgdon's is using piezo pressure gun, and the chamber would be at SAAMI minimum specs which tends to produce more velocity than our joe average bbls, factory or custom.

My rule of thumb is to subtract 20fps per inch of bbl when comparing my loads to pressure data. In other words my 58.2g of powder is probably right there at max pressure. 60g would be most likely be over pressure and as it's been noted by JB and other articles I've read pressure signs don't generally show up until well over pressure.

Your response outlines one of the dangers of using a chronograph when doing load work ups, and why reloaders can get into trouble.

Imagine for a moment that a new reloader reads in his manual that a certain bullet and load will generate 2800 fps. Does he confirm how the manual determined the velocities? Does he know the barrel length of the barrel used in the manual? using what equipment? Does the manual even publish this information?

Let's say the manual states that they used a 24 inch barrel and got 2800 fps. Our reloader has a rifle with a 22 inch barrel. He loads the max and only gets 2720 fps - according to his chrono.Assuming his chrono is accurate, he decides that he can increase the amount of powder until he attains 2800 fps. Can he?

Steve,
I pointed out in a previous post that one must account for bbl length. Owning chronograph(s) for almost 40 years one of the first lessons I learned was about bbl length and velocity. Most manuals do list bbl length and some manual list the bbl manufacturer. Some manuals discuss their methods and equipment used.
I also learned that with various loads sometimes increases in powder when nearing max charge can result in little or no increase in velocity or vice versa. In my 243's I see a fair amount of change in velocity with seating depth of the bullet. That is also where a chrono comes in real handy. If I'm seeing max velocity with a load and want to seat the bullet closer to the lands, I take that into account and may decrease powder charge a couple tenths or so.

Back in the 90's some friends and I had virtually unlimited access to a Oehler M43 Ballistics Lab for a couple summers. We bought and glued a LOT of strain gauges on rifles. There was a steep learning curve with both the M43 and learning computers of the time, but one could see at times when pressure went up without much increase in velocity. Again, this always happened when we at, near, or over max listed powder charges. I've remembered that and have practiced my loading accordingly. When I stop seeing expected velocity increases when near max charge the odds are I'm at or over pressure. That is a rule of thumb but certainly has exceptions.

A chrono isn't a replacement for a pressure receiver and bbl, but it is a useful tool for a handloader.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brad,
Thanks for the striking photo! Good Show!

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree that the Chrony has its faults. I learned long ago that overcast days were my friend. But it really put an affordable chronograph in the hands of shooters back in the day, though most have upgraded to more reliable equipment. I used my Chrony for a physical science lab where the students fired a Styrofoam dart from a dart gun and measured velocity, then used the dart's mass and velocity to do KE and momentum calculations. Had to play with the lighting then too to make it work well.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Steve,
I pointed out in a previous post that one must account for bbl length. Owning chronograph(s) for almost 40 years one of the first lessons I learned was about bbl length and velocity. Most manuals do list bbl length and some manual list the bbl manufacturer. Some manuals discuss their methods and equipment used.
I also learned that with various loads sometimes increases in powder when nearing max charge can result in little or no increase in velocity or vice versa. In my 243's I see a fair amount of change in velocity with seating depth of the bullet. That is also where a chrono comes in real handy. If I'm seeing max velocity with a load and want to seat the bullet closer to the lands, I take that into account and may decrease powder charge a couple tenths or so.

A chrono isn't a replacement for a pressure receiver and bbl, but it is a useful tool for a handloader.

I'm glad that you accept it's a tool. It will never replace common sense and knowledge. I will say this to you, and others in this thread. Some of you kept saying "I know...". This is not a swipe at you personally a/c, or anyone else who has responded. The manuals were not printed for you personally, but the general public. You might know what you are doing, but the companies don't know you. You shouldn't assume that others will take your advice and use it properly either.

When I was in the military, I worked for a man who used to smoke in the explosives storage area, That was where we kept propellants, and other explosive types. He broke the rules, and was caught twice, but always said, "I know the dangers and know what I am doing. I only smoke in empty bldgs." Until he caused a fire in the compound. Low explosive powder dust was on the floor when he put out his cigarette. Two lessons were learned. Housekeeping and stupidity.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
This reloader can see both sides of this issue. Still, I fall on the side of spending the $90 to be sure.

I’m currently working with a long-throated 7x57 that’s been in the family for 4 generations. I carefully worked-up to the “family recipe” load, and found good accuracy with no outward pressure signs. While the rifle has many dozens of big game heads to its credit, the chronograph showed my 160 grain Partitions were being launched at a blistering 2,280 fps.

The “family recipe” was already over book max for the powder. blush

Nostalgia for the family history is wonderful, but I’m grateful I have a tool that can help me safely maximize the potential of this wonderful rifle.

FC

Edit to add: My experience with a Shooting Chrony was that, on those intermittent occasions when it did deign to display a reading, 'twas frequently erroneous. The device was perhaps better than imaginary toilet paper, but only slightly. I moved on to the PAL unit that's been strongly suggested in this thread, and have been very well pleased with it. The customer service folks there are excellent, too.

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 12/20/20.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Steve,

Yes, common sense, knowledge and experience/info gained over the years make a chrono one of the most useful tools a handloader can own.

And we haven't even discussed cold weather testing........... smile

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My use of a chronograph is twofold: 1) to catch any anomaly that might show up, 2) it's just kind of fun to have more data to mess with/records to keep.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 300_savage
I agree that the Chrony has its faults. I learned long ago that overcast days were my friend. But it really put an affordable chronograph in the hands of shooters back in the day, though most have upgraded to more reliable equipment. I used my Chrony for a physical science lab where the students fired a Styrofoam dart from a dart gun and measured velocity, then used the dart's mass and velocity to do KE and momentum calculations. Had to play with the lighting then too to make it work well.

All good points--especially about the Chrony putting an affordable chronograph in the hands of shooters.

My primary problem with them was in general they weren't very durable. As a result, you never knew when they might go slowly or quickly bat-schidt.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My may problem with them was in general they weren't very durable. As a result, you never knew when they might go slowly or quickly batp-schidt.

And that is why I started this thread looking for a place to get one repaired.

But this has been a very interesting conversation.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I thought I knew a lot about reading "pressure signs" until I actually began conducting pressure tests according the the SAAMI recommended procedures.

Having to learn the SAAMI procedures and conduct a fair bit of pressure tests made me go home and pull the bullets from my favorite 25/06 load.

I've blown up a bunch of guns. One was unintentional and resulted in significant injury (I was 16). I never want to experience another "pressure failure" unless it is at the end of a long string that is attached to the trigger.

My "Rule of string" for blowing up guns was to estimate how much I thought I needed and double it.

Velocity, in my opinion, is the best predictor of the safety of your loads. Measure it the way you feel is most appropriate for your situation.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Years ago I shot mine with a .375 Ruger.

Best thing i ever did.

Lefty

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Curious stuff this. I purchased a Chrony about 22 years ago, and a friend did likewise about 10 years ago. The one I purchased is in other hands but they both continue to function properly. The one my friend has was set up behind a Pro Chrono a few weeks back and the spread between the numbers was low double digits. Something in the 20”s IIRC.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Luck is always a factor in life in human existence.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
True, and I've always maintained it's better to be lucky than good. grin

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 62 invisible), 3,207 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,881
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.