Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Use a chest rig and/or a small tactical pack.

I like bananas on my peanut butter sandwiches.

Who doesn't? (?)

Use REAL chest rig, not a bino rig or fanny pack and save your back ache...thank me, later.

Thank you for what? Not answering the question?

Smokesdoofus...you get that out of your vote interpretation machine or was it your mommy's laptop?

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Deputy Fife: go find a beach and pound some sand.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
q
Thinking about replacing my 32 year old Packs Plus (USA made but now defunct company) lumbar pack with shoulder straps.

I might have the same one, haven't worn it in years. I used to wear it with a small stuff sack.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Razz

Badlands Monster Fanny Pack

https://www.badlandsgear.com/products/monster

I have an older one of these, diff camo pattern, that still gets use in situations like you noted. I like the various compartments, shoulder straps stashed in the pack but available if you pile gear on. Straps on the top and bottom to attach layers you may have peeled off, or to carry along a rain jacket. Lots of room for peanut butter and banana sammiches too!

I had one of the older ones, circa 2010ish.
Its size and structure worked fine for what the OP is asking about, though the main zipper didn't last too long.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Tinman and others who commented on fanny packs, thanks!

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by douglasfir
Hard to beat a simple Mountainsmith Day pack, although it might not be as big as what you're looking for.

This

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Tinman and others who commented on fanny packs, thanks!

Would ya’ just buy the damn Muley Pack from Wilderness Pack Specialties and tell us how it works?!!!!

Geeeez.....

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used the badlands monster for half day jaunts from a backcountry camp on my muzzleloader elk hunt this year. I liked the storage capability and still good freedom of movement plus handy hip pockets. The water bladder bag is only for like a 2 liter or something smaller than normal.

I also carried a pack frame in and then strapped it to that pack. I used a little Kuiu attack bag for water

Last edited by exbiologist; 12/19/20.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
whatever lumbar pack you go with, get shoulder straps- they don't have to be really beefy, but just letting the shoulders take a little weight really helps; I added MountainSmith strappetes to my Gallatin- much better

my Gallatin in action- pulk loaded with Christmas tree smile

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mtwarden
whatever lumbar pack you go with, get shoulder straps- they don't have to be really beefy, but just letting the shoulders take a little weight really helps; I added MountainSmith strappetes to my Gallatin- much better

Watch it! Trees are like cougars. They can sneak up from behind and you don't know they're there until it's too late.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by mtwarden

Watch it! Trees are like cougars. They can sneak up from behind and you don't know they're there until it's too late.

laugh

I did have one pretty good wreck with it coming down a steep switchback, the tree slid off the side taking me with it, the snow was deep enough for me to dig in- released the was it belt and shoulder harness and let it slide to the bottom, had to recenter the tree on the pulk and the rest of the way was fine smile

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A friend of mine just overhauled his pulk. He got a real heavy duty plastic toboggan. Then he bolted 2 18" pieces of 1.5" angle aluminum on the bottom for runners. He kept the angles at the rear so he could turn it. He hasn't done any heavy pulling with it yet but it sure seems to keep the sled from slipping on side hills.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's where camo pays off. In this photo, you hardly see the camo pack at all. It just sort of disappears into the background.

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Smoke will love it........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Smoke will love it........

I'll need to put that one through its paces. From the looks of it there's not enough volume to hold my gear.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I need a new one, looking to get one that's on the big side for a lumbar pack. Would use it for hikes and day hunts where I don't need a full-on backpack.

Never used one myself but a friend uses a Badlands "Monster" fanny pack and another uses a knock-off, maybe by Allen, of the same design. They seem happy.

Another thought .. maybe completely off the rails .. I've been pondering one of the hydration vests the mountain bikers use, one with a couple of small front pockets for phone / camera / a few extra shells with the idea that it would fit closer, maybe under my rain gear instead of over it. One of my favorite spots to hunt has plenty of water nearby but not right where I want to sit to hunt so being able to grab even a pint worth, then go sit hunkered down in brush while I watch might be just right. I've used a regular day pack and it's ok, just looking for something a little more ... minimalist.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Osprey used to make some good ones but now all they make is a small one. I'd go with the Mountainsmith.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Blacks Creek lumbar pack. It's an older version but fits the bill nicely. It may be available.......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks b, any idea of the volume on that one?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not until I get home. Its bigger than the Badlands Monster fanny pack.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 67 invisible), 3,250 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,380
Posts18,469,532
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.