Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Am familiar with the Vaughan and Audette results. Conflicting results are always interesting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have tried indexing rounds years ago and did not see where it helped. I found that eliminating or minimizing runout at it source was a better fix for the problem.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Assuming that the chamber is actually concentric to the bore, wouldn't a case have to be neck sized to see any benefit to less than 0.004" of runout? Otherwise, the case is just laying at the bottom of the chamber, out of alignment with the bore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BABore
Assuming that the chamber is actually concentric to the bore, wouldn't a case have to be neck sized to see any benefit to less than 0.004" of runout? Otherwise, the case is just laying at the bottom of the chamber, out of alignment with the bore.

If one has the case sized correctly (even FL sized - so there's just a hint of resistance to bolt closure), won't the cone-like nature of the chamber and cartridge shoulder center the round as the bolt is closed? Or will it still possibly be tilted? Might depend on the nature of the bolt face and feed style.

Rex

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by TRexF16

If one has the case sized correctly (even FL sized - so there's just a hint of resistance to bolt closure), won't the cone-like nature of the chamber and cartridge shoulder center the round as the bolt is closed? Or will it still possibly be tilted? Might depend on the nature of the bolt face and feed style.

Rex

In theory, if the shoulder is not bumped, yes. All ties in with chamber to bore concentricity, bolt face being perpendicular to chamber, and locking lug engagement. All in a perfect world!

Which I believe is why JB stated you see runout having more effect in a blueprinted bench gun. All of those issue should be addressed. Factory rifles, not so much.

Last edited by BABore; 12/22/20.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Consistency is the key, and if they're bananas they're not laying there out of alignment the same way shot to shot.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like Eric Cortel and think he gives good advise. Having said that, I do believe that chamber/bullet profile/freebore/brass fit to the chamber all pay a part in the final group size ( as well as other factors) I know that I what I saw on my rifle (that I mentioned earlier in this thread) runout did make a difference. Maybe it was because it was a sporter barrel vs a heavy barrel like Eric has, or one of the other factors mentioned or a combo of factors. Either way, I feel that I want to have as true and straight a round as I can. I strive to keep every at zero but my upper limit is .003 (YMMV)

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What tool do you use to measure run-out?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by mathman
Plan 1: Do your steps 1 and 2. Then install the expander and push the necks over the ball to expand them, but not all the way into the die of course. Check the neck runout to see what you've got at this point. Then you'll know if your brass is sized straight.

I do a variation of this as Mule Deer wrote about in Gun Gack 1. I use my universal decapping die and then FL resize with the rod a little loose so it can seek the center. It works great. With something like a 22-250 expanding the neck in a separate step would probably give better results due to the amount of body taper.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Another thing to consider is how much the die is sizing the neck compared to how much sizing the neck actually needs to hold a bullet.

jmh3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This is a little off topic, but I bought a custom rifle a few years ago that came with a suggested accuracy load that had the bullet jammed .01 into the lands like a bench rest load (this is a hunting rifle but the builder does a lot of bench rest work). Does jamming the lands help at all if you don't reduce the neck tension like they do in their bench rest loads? It would seem from the responses above regarding jump that you would need zero run out if you jammed the lands with a neck that had enough tension to feed from a magazine. I never shot the suggested load because I wanted to use a different bullet, but I was curious if it would work for hunting purposes.

------------------------
John
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

A post that is chasing this question down the rabbit hole!

Mr B,
Vaughn reasoned thru the mathematical reasons why he thought indexing should work, then reasoned thru possible reasons why it didn't turn out in his testing. One of the factors he theorized was the ejector tipping the case in the chamber (he used a Remington 721 which is very similar to the Rem 700 mechanically). Audette shot a P64 M70...no ejector to push the case. ...and I'm not sure what the backend lockup of a Mann Fixture looks like, but I thought my surplus Mann barrel was threaded for a Springfield receiver...in which case, no ejector.

There's other things that he chased that are relevant to this discussion such as the tilt in the bolt that the trigger causes (and that he said shimming or sleeving didn't completely correct. And the headspace dim of the cartridge relative to the chamber.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I am very familiar with Vaughan's book, since I purchased a copy shortly after it was published, and have read it several times. He also concluded that his 721 actions bolt lugs and recessed were lapped due to long use!

I read Audette's stuff on indexing quite a while ago, can't remember where.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got RCBS dies that aren't working (no doubt, due to me). Regardless of having the decapping rod tight or loose, or high up in the body, or whatever, I spend hella time correcting runout in finished rounds with a TruAngle tool.

Run out is often a product of inconsistent necks (thickness), and the best dies in the world will not rectify that issue. I both turn and ream all my brass after its first firing. Helps a lot.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/22/20.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ChrisF
One of the things mentioned in the Abatiello article is that when they indexed the eccentricity (high point indicated) the same for rounds with high runout, the groups got smaller. Creighton Audette demonstrated similar. Harold Vaughn wasn't able to replicate the results.

If you can't get rid of your runout, try marking the high point and load the rounds into the chamber with the high point in the same place.

Do you zero your sights for the monkeyed up crooked indexed rounds or the straight ones?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Like you, I had an RCBS die that was driving me nuts, switched to Redding type S and now all my dies are type S and life is simple. ( granted, I only load for 3 cartridges)

There will be the one that claims anything above RCBS is a waste of money, whatever, it’s made it easy for me.

Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I've got RCBS dies that aren't working (no doubt, due to me). Regardless of having the decapping rod tight or loose, or high up in the body, or whatever, I spend hella time correcting runout in finished rounds with a TruAngle tool.

Would it work better for me to try this:

Step 1: Deprime with Universal Decapping Die

Step 2: Size in current RCBS die with decapping/expanding rod removed

Step 3: Expand case mouths with Universal Case Expanding Die?

Or am I just a small amount of understanding away from making my current dies sing?

FC

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I am very familiar with Vaughan's book, since I purchased a copy shortly after it was published, and have read it several times. He also concluded that his 721 actions bolt lugs and recessed were lapped due to long use!

I thoroughly enjoyed (and continue to enjoy) Vaughn’s book! I had probably bought three or four copies after wearing out my first copy and having one or two not come back after lending it out.
Too bad PS is defunct and thus this book is out of print.

Yes, Vaughn found that that his old bolt had the lugs lapped into contact through long use. ...and when he replaced it, he found that the new action had contact on the bottom only...so he recut the bearing surface of the bottom lug to allow the top lug to bear. He mentions that he found the same situation with his three custom bench rest actions.
I remember a well known rimfire benchrest smith described the same situation in front lug rimfires and set out to redesign the walker trigger so that it did not exert an upward force. That was hella controversial and sparked some very heated discussions.

Vaughn’s solution was to cut the bottom lug and bolt face to account for the bolt tilt which showed improvement in both his instrumented testing for wayward forces on the receiver and in his shooting for groups.

Last edited by ChrisF; 12/22/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by centershot
What tool do you use to measure run-out?

Concentricity tool and your eyes.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually, just using your eyes works for making sure runout isn't any more than .005--which is plenty for most factory big game rifles. Roll the loaded rounds across a smooth, flat surface and if you can't see any "wobble" in the tip of the bullet, runout is normally .005 or less.

John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,081
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.