Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A decent sale w/ free shipping:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015085264?pid=113204

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020438152?pid=988434

And BTW, I have the "Pal" version... nothing fancy, just works.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sometime in the 1990s, I assassinated my Chrony.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Based on the comments above, perhaps a good thing?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
At the time, the Shooting Chrony worked just fine. A 150 grain RN ended its life. Who says light 30-30 bullets are no good? smile

Of course, as technology advanced, other products became attractive. Considering my own circumstances, I have never seen the need to spend any more than the price of a Pro Chrono.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ll be the odd man out here.
My two hunting pards that have gone on to the happy hinting grounds had agreen and a red shooting chrony.
Other buddy had Oehler.
Put them back to back and there wasn’t enough difference to sneeze at.
I am now in possession of both of them but haven’t used either one in a few years.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I owned three Shooting Chronys from the early 1990s until around 2008. The first I tested against an older, very reliable chronograph, one of the primitive models that required turning a dial around a series of numbers. Some would light up, and you could then look up the velocity in a booklet.

Bought that first Chrony because it would be a lot faster at the range, and easier to set up. I checked it with some .22 Long Rifle ammo, and the Chrony got the same velocities. Used it for a few years until it quit working at all, perhaps due to so many shots being fires from higher-powered rifles. Bought it so cheaply (as I recall $50) that it wasn't worth repairing, so I bought another. That one showed increasing velociities over a few years--so slowly I didn't realize it was happening until it became too obvious. Sent it back to Chrony, and when it came back did the same thing. Junked it and bought another, though should have learned my lesson by then, because I needed a chronograph right away due to my work.

In the meantime Oehler started making 35Ps again, so I ordered one. That particular Chrony did NOT match the velocities of the Oehler, and velocities also varied far more under different light conditions. In the meantime I'd run into more than one guy at the local range who had problems with his Chrony, including one who's Chrony starting showing velocities 500 fps faster than normal with 180-grain .30-06 loads.

At that point I started trying other chronographs as well, including a ProChrono Pal, which I used for quick range trips because it was quicker to set up than the Oehler. When the Pal showed up I tested it against the Oehler during a long afternoon range session lasting about 4 hours, and with several rifles the readings were right together, including under different light conditions.

That said, the Pal was not nearly as good for real ballistic analysis, because the light-screens are so close together, but it worked fine for quick sessions until an unexpected gust of wind toppled its tripod one day. Sent it to the factory to be repaired (which worked, unlike my Chrony repair), and in the meantime ordered another for backup. Tested it against the Oehler too, and it was also dead on. Eventually gave one of them to a younger friend with a growing family who really couldn't justify even $100 for one. It's still working great for him.

After that purchased several other chronographs, primarily to test for magazine articles, including a couple of Magnetospeeds and a LabRadar. All of them recorded the same basic velocities the the same loads. Have seen so many Shooting Chronys NOT do that I've lost count.

Might also comment that if you haven't used your Chrony in several years, you don't use a chronograph much.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Pro Chrono with blue tooth last year. It works great, and the data is saved on my phone. My brothers 1990s Shooting Chrony works ok, just not as good as mine.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Brad

Based on the comments above, perhaps a good thing?

Not perhaps but absolutely the right thing, I did exactly the same then bought the Oehler 35p that I am using to this day.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have owned 4-5 chrono's over the years, if they still made the screens I would probably still be using my Custom Chronograph (and I DON'T consider it primitive, John--sheesh).

I compared velocities of my LabRadar to my M35 most of one summer, and calculating for distance to muzzle they agreed within single digits all but for a few shots. One of those shots were about 35 fps difference though. Never did figure that out.

Also have compared my LabRadar to another one and they agreed with one another within single digits. These days I use my LabRadar a lot more than my M35, it's just so much easier, plus I can chronograph shots from prone position.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
One of those shots were about 35 fps difference though. Never did figure that out.

35 fps is well within the extreme spread of most ammunition. So, which one was right? My experience with the LabRadar shows attention must be paid to alignment, before and during shooting. Mine gives good readings as long as I do that. It is not uncommon, however, for it to get bumped and numbers go crazy. This happened during a recent class when the students were measuring velocity with both an Oehler and the LabRadar. Numbers were in good agreement for the first couple of students. By the 8th student, it was obvious the ball head on the mounting plate wasn't tight enough as the machine had drooped. My fault, not the LabRadar's fault.

Another incident was when informally shooting some shots ammunition and a new rifle last August. It was a quick look and I used the LabRadar by itself instead of also setting up an Oehler. Expected velocity was in the 2680 fps range. Measurements were going as expected. Suddenly, I got a velocity of 7,400 fps. I saw the bullet impact the berm so knew it didn't go high. I navigated the LabRadar to the page that showed all measurements of that shot and it gave:

V0 - 7400
V3 - 6977
V25 - 2666
V50 - 2631
V75 - 2597
V95 - 2572

So, it appears, the numbers at 25 yards and beyond were likely correct. Either that or the bullet "slammed on the brakes" between 3 and 25 yards. Such a large error is easy to see. What if it had been 45 fps? I wouldn't have reason to suspect one reading that is 45 fps off. It wasn't important so I really don't care. I discarded that shot and went on about my business.

I also have to monitor students to ensure they line up properly on the skyscreens when using the Oehler. The "proof" value will tell me when they get misaligned.

All chronographs can give a bad reading. Dr. Oehler recognized that a long time ago. It is the beauty of the "proof" screen. If something is wrong, it will tell you. You can then diagnose and fix the problem. Having the "proof" measurement has saved my bacon...more than once.

Although the Oehler includes the "proof" screen, the same benefit can be realized if you use two chronographs for all measurements. Well done, Casey, on your comparisons.

There is no doubt that people trust the Oehler equipment. It has long been the "gold standard". Have you ever seen anyone claim to trust an Oehler because they "Checked it against Brand X"?

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don’t use one much because I mainly stay with known loads and my shot distances here are 200 and under so it really isn’t necessary.
Just relating my experience with the chronys vs the oehler.
Chrony did miss more readings but they were basically equal.

Last edited by Sid Gray; 12/20/20. Reason: Additional info
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Sid Gray
I don’t use one much because I mainly stay with known loads and my shot distances here are 200 and under so it really isn’t necessary.
Just relating my experience with the chronys vs the oehler. Chrony did miss more readings but they were basically equal.

There's no reason for most people to own a chronograph. If you use tested loads from a manual and are taking shots at 200 yards or less, you don't need one. Please don't feel that your response was unappreciated. smile All the best.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

There's no reason for most people to own a chronograph. If you use tested loads from a manual and are taking shots at 200 yards or less, you don't need one. Please don't feel that your response was unappreciated. smile All the best.

I must simply disagree.

All barrels/chambers are different. I'm working with two rifles right now, that if I used max published data I'd be Waaaay over max pressure. In the day and age of an $89 chronograph I think it's borderline irresponsible not to own one. Velocity data is quite literally 50% (and more) of the handloading equation.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Brad

I must simply disagree.

All barrels/chambers are different. I'm working with two rifles right now, that if I used max published data I'd be Waaaay over max pressure. In the day and age of an $89 chronograph I think it's borderline irresponsible not to own one. Velocity data is quite literally 50% (and more) of the handloading equation.

We'll have to agree to disagree. You could make that argument with people who reload and may not follow the recipes in their manuals, but if you follow the book and the rules of working up loads, you will not be way over max. There will always be exceptions, but I have never heard about or read of a reloader who was injured with a book load. Now, I am sure someone will chime in with just such a story, but they are clearly the exception, not the rule.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

We'll have to agree to disagree. You could make that argument with people who reload and may not follow the recipes in their manuals, but if you follow the book and the rules of working up loads, you will not be way over max. There will always be exceptions, but I have never heard about or read of a reloader who was injured with a book load. Now, I am sure someone will chime in with just such a story, but they are clearly the exception, not the rule.

But Steve.....

Even if we could go out and buy all the same brand of components that were used in the published data (which in these times are nigh unto impossible), there are the variations in lots/manufacturing runs with components. Primarily powders and brass. There are also changes in the ogives of bullets from time to time. There will be times when a max powder charge, or even a charge approaching max exceeds the published velocity. And as you would well know if we are getting a velocity above the published velocity, the odds are we are over pressure.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You are assuming that changes in propellants or other components will cause a large (dangerous) change in generated pressure. If this was the case, we would have read about Hodgdon recipes and others causing a firearm to self destruct. I say Hodgdon because they never used to publish bullet manufacturers, just things like 50 gr, or 60 gr loads.

i have never seen a warning in any manual advising users to confirm the book load with a chronograph before attempting any loads in their book. I have read that reloaders should work up loads and not jump to the maximum. I do not believe that any company will publish information that is clearly dangerous or irresponsible. If you cannot trust a manual published by a major manufacturer, then I would suggest you shouldn't be reloading.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
This year, one of my 270's was packing a 160g NPt with 59.2g of IMR7977 with WW cases and WLR primer--the same as Hodgdon was using in their pressure data--for an average velocity at 2804 fps with a 22" bbl.

Hodgdon's max charge was 60g and using a 24" bbl and producing 2843fps. I'm assuming Hodgdon's is using piezo pressure gun, and the chamber would be at SAAMI minimum specs which tends to produce more velocity than our joe average bbls, factory or custom.

My rule of thumb is to subtract 20fps per inch of bbl when comparing my loads to pressure data. In other words my 58.2g of powder is probably right there at max pressure. 60g would most likely be over pressure and as it's been noted by JB and other articles I've read pressure signs don't generally show up until well over pressure.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

You are assuming that changes in propellants or other components will cause a large (dangerous) change in generated pressure. If this was the case, we would have read about Hodgdon recipes and others causing firearm to self destruct. I say Hodgdon because they never used to publish bullet manufacturers, just things like 50 gr, or 60 gr loads.

i have never seen a warning in any manual advising users to confirm the book load with a chronograph before attempting any loads in their book. I have read that reloaders should work up loads and not jump to the maximum. I do not believe that any company will publish information that is clearly dangerous or irresponsible. If you cannot trust a manual published by a major manufacturer, then I would suggest you shouldn't be reloading.

Oh stop it. I've had soft brass produce bodacious ejector marks with minimum powder charges with several different powders. I've hit max listed velocity with less than max charge before and have had max charges be well below max listed velocity (accounting for bbl length) before also.

Changes in components can damn sure change the pressure equation.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 12/20/20.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

This year, one of my 270's was packing a 160g NPt with 59.2g of IMR7977 with WW cases and WLR primer--the same as Hodgdon was using in their pressure data--for an average velocity at 2804 fps with a 22" bbl.

Hodgdon's max charge was 60g and using a 24" bbl. I'm assuming Hodgdon's is using piezo pressure gun, and the chamber would be at SAAMI minimum specs which tends to produce more velocity than our joe average bbls, factory or custom.

My rule of thumb is to subtract 20fps per inch of bbl when comparing my loads to pressure data. In other words my 58.2g of powder is probably right there at max pressure. 60g would be most likely be over pressure and as it's been noted by JB and other articles I've read pressure signs don't generally show up until well over pressure.

Your response outlines one of the dangers of using a chronograph when doing load work ups, and why reloaders can get into trouble.

Imagine for a moment that a new reloader reads in his manual that a certain bullet and load will generate 2800 fps. Does he confirm how the manual determined the velocities? Does he know the barrel length of the barrel used in the manual? using what equipment? Does the manual even publish this information?

Let's say the manual states that they used a 24 inch barrel and got 2800 fps. Our reloader has a rifle with a 22 inch barrel. He loads the max and only gets 2720 fps - according to his chrono.Assuming his chrono is accurate, he decides that he can increase the amount of powder until he attains 2800 fps. Can he?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have to agree that speed is a key metric for load work up. Many times I have had pressure signs below book maximums, No I wasn't injured and could back off or try different combinations of powder or bullet, Most agree that these pressure signs, like hard bolt lift or brass flowing in to the ejector slot occur many thousands of PSI above SAAMI max pressures. While its great to have rifle and brass that can handle that from time to time, id rather not depend on it. Now that I use a chonograph for load work up I usually get tipped of by velocity before I get to the point of high pressure signs.

The other side of the coin is stopping at a book max because without a Chronograph you have no idea that your load is still way below expected velocity.

Its probably 15 or so years ago I got my shooters Chrony for something like the cost of 2 boxes of bullets ( I think mine was a refurb from midway) Its was a useful tool that was worth more than I paid. It missed some shots, but mostly worked for my purposes. In the end I mostly replaced it with a Magnetospeed, just for the convince of set up, but still use the shooting Chrony when I have a bigger project and want to shoot groups with out removing the MS. I never did an extensive side by side, but on the few occasions when I did some parallel shooting they matched up within 10 fps or so. With MD's comments I am tempted to do a better comparison with the Shooting Chrony and Magnetospeed.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 65 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,413
Posts18,470,470
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.