-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If I retire who will feed the cows, pull calves,doctor sickun's and piss the horses off? Retirement for me is face down in the grass kick a time or two then cross the river.

Last edited by catosilvaje; 12/24/20.

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

#5 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
19352012: If YOU or anyone YOU know is NOT enjoying and reveling in retirement, immensely, then they/YOU are doing it wrong!
I have been retired for 23 full years (I am 73 now) and these past 23 years of retirement have been the most enjoyable, most rewarding, most filled with pleasure years of MY life.
PERIOD.
IF... I had known exactly how wonderful, fulfilling and amazing "retirement" is I would have retired 4 years earlier at my first opportunity!
I simply shake my head in utter disbelief at your contention/observation!
SOMEONE is doing something wrong retirement wise - in your scenarios.
Long live early retirement.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Haven't you posted dozens of times about how your working years sucked and the area you lived sucked too? My life is way different than yours.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
We live off SS and rental income, and so do our cattle. Trump's policies have been hard on the farmers and fisherman, but I thought it was worth it, now it appears that it wasn't. The FRLA claims over 50% of the restaurants and motels are operating in the red.
If the checks quit coming for all the retired civil servants, freeloaders and deadbeats the other half will know how it feels to be kick in the guts by the government.

If you are living off SS, doesn't that make you a freeloader too? Oh, I get it, you paid into that, sorta like how I paid into my Civil Service Pension Plan and deferred income into it. So, how does that make me a freeloader?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dale06
Don’t know what category we fit in. We saved a lot and invested with a good financial planner, for the last 35 years. Had a good balanced portfolio of stocks, bonds, tax free munis, and other instruments.
And we lived well below our means. Worked out great. Retired on 61birthday and very comfortable.

That's the recipe! Delay some gratification and save/invest. It pays off in the end.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Worst advise you will ever get is from a financial advisor.

High school principals and guidance counselors would put any financial planner or internet rando to shame.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
We live off SS and rental income, and so do our cattle. Trump's policies have been hard on the farmers and fisherman, but I thought it was worth it, now it appears that it wasn't. The FRLA claims over 50% of the restaurants and motels are operating in the red.
If the checks quit coming for all the retired civil servants, freeloaders and deadbeats the other half will know how it feels to be kick in the guts by the government.

If you are living off SS, doesn't that make you a freeloader too? Oh, I get it, you paid into that, sorta like how I paid into my Civil Service Pension Plan and deferred income into it. So, how does that make me a freeloader?

Sorry if I offened you, for starters my SS can't pay for the ammo I shoot a month. I didn't mean to imply that you were a freeloader and don't believe I did. What I meant is, no one on the government tit has gone without a paycheck during the China flu hoax. We just add to the US debt to finance the American dream. Working for the government relying on the taxpayers to cover your azz doesn't seem like the American way, but a lot of folks made a career doing so. That's one of the reasons why I fully support President Trump.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always interesting to see people's perspectives on retirement.

I fully (OK sorta grin ) understand those that like their jobs and where they live and have no desire to stop getting up and going to work.

Myself on the other hand, at age 57 in a another week, have started to view work as that thing that keeps me from doing things I want to do other than work and keeps us in a place that I don't really enjoy. I didn't start savings as early as I should but have made up for it the last 32 years and assuming the new administration doesn't burn the economy down I think we're going to pull the trigger next year. Too many other things to do than work.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was a Johnny Come Lately to investing for retirement. I became especially interested in 2008/09 when the market crashed and I overheard a couple of the older associates at work talking about how their 401K's had dropped by 50%. As a military retiree, I didn't even know what was a 401k. I looked into it and found out my company had been contributing 4% of my weekly salary into my own 401k for the past 6 years and I had a total of $64K in there. I was elated, and began to order investing books off Amazon to educate myself. The self education has paid off, because it gave me a knowledge base from which to consider the advice of investors much more experienced than me. I lost many years of investing potential during my 26 years in the military, because we always managed to live above our means, which meant living in credit card and school debt, with no money left over to invest. Nevertheless, at age 49 I was hired on by an engineering and construction company in their pipeline division in 2002. I began to make much more money and eventually figured things out by the time I retired in 2018. I have been blessed beyond measure. So, the key is living below your means, if you are income limited, and invest the rest. I think Dave Ramsey explains this best in his 7 Baby Steps. Dave also recommends making more money, even if that means getting a second job delivering pizza.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
None of the above. I have money put away but I don't hardly look at it. I already draw a retired military pension and in 8 years will also draw a state pension from TX. Between those 2 that gives me over $5K a month in retirement. Assuming my SS isn't squandered by Congress I will also draw that which will bring me to $6800 a month. Anything I have set aside will be play money.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Wait till my medicare kick in, I’ll get myself a 19 year old korean home health nurse and a gold wing trike.

#VarminTrike

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did very well. I found it enjoyable to track funds, make changes, and track my efforts. I have since learned my technique is call momentum trading. It does piss me off when my financial planner tells me I was lucky and I should never expect the returns I achieved.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Wait till my medicare kick in, I’ll get myself a 19 year old korean home health nurse and a gold wing trike.

#VarminTrike

Pics or it didnt happen

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
None of the above.

I'm poor. I'm saving what little I can (which will go to land purchase, not "retirement" as such). It's all I can do.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,775
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.