Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
BC30cal
The test you mentioned, the 300 H&H and 300 WSM. Cut the chamber for the H&H first, then the WSM. The idea was to use the same barrel in both cartridges. Both have almost exact case capacity. With the same primers, powder and charge, and bullets, same chrono, same strain gage, etc, both made the same speed and pressure and accuracy. I dont buy the whole case shape/special shoulder/ no belt idea. Here is one thing I have learned and will test against any data at any time :
Primers, gun powder, and bullets do not respond to advertising !
They will do what they do.
And another thing.....I dont think we need any more new calibers until we starting burning something other than smokeless powder. The perceived advantages of several of these new calibers, the real advantage is less than the noise in the testing.
All that coming from a man who must have at least 15 wildcats in 9.3 ! grin
Charlie

P.S. just remebered.....that particular barrel in the test shot better in every way with Ramshot Hunter than all the other powders.

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Charlie,

A few years after you ran the .300 H&H/WSM test I had some very interesting conversations with guys who run major pressure labs about case-shape affecting pressures. NONE of them had ever seen that in any of their testing--in other words, the same amount of powder room produces the same pressures and velocities, just as you found.

However, one of the guys (the oldest and most experiences) said that case shape did affect the consistency of powder burn, especially shorter cases with shoulder angles around 30 degrees, which is of course the modern ideal for "accuracy" rounds. Both shallower and steeper shoulders (including the 40-degree Ackley angle) resulted in less consistent pressures.

The notion that the .300 WSM's case-shape allowed it to produce more velocity due to "efficiency" of the powder burn was promoted by Winchester PR. Their major "evidence" was the fact that the smaller WSM case could achieve 2960 fps with 180-grain bullets, the same as the then-standard factory load for the .300 Winchester Magnum. But they apparently failed to notice (or decided to ignore) the fact that the .300 WSM required more pressure to match the .300 Winchester load. Since then, of course, SAAMI has approved even faster 180-grain loads for the .300 Winchester Magnum.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I read somewhere (I think it was P. O. Ackley) that powders of a certain burn rate such as IMR 4350 perform better with magnum primers vs large rifle primers. As I have several rifles that I use 4350 for I'm going to compare the results of std vs magnum primers regarding velocity and group size.

This may have been more true in Ackley's time, both the powders and primers were different than now. In general I think primers have gotten hotter as more slower and ball powders were available. But this may not be across the board for all of them.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I think JB touched on the 300 H&H/300 WSM test in one of his Gun Gack books.
Charlie I don't think we need any more calibers either. A deer is still just a deer the same as they were in the days of Jack O Connor and Elmer Keith. I drank the Creedmore Kool Aid briefly . Didn't care for the rifle it was in and wasn't impressed enough to buy reloading dies. I sold it and had a 6.5X55 built and I love it. My last three custom rifles are in classic time proven calibers. The Swede, a 38-55 on a high wall action and a 300 H&H on a #1. If it's not broken stop trying to fix it.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Charlie_Sisk
BC30cal
The test you mentioned, the 300 H&H and 300 WSM. Cut the chamber for the H&H first, then the WSM. The idea was to use the same barrel in both cartridges. Both have almost exact case capacity. With the same primers, powder and charge, and bullets, same chrono, same strain gage, etc, both made the same speed and pressure and accuracy. I dont buy the whole case shape/special shoulder/ no belt idea. Here is one thing I have learned and will test against any data at any time :
Primers, gun powder, and bullets do not respond to advertising !
They will do what they do.
And another thing.....I dont think we need any more new calibers until we starting burning something other than smokeless powder. The perceived advantages of several of these new calibers, the real advantage is less than the noise in the testing.
All that coming from a man who must have at least 15 wildcats in 9.3 ! grin
Charlie

P.S. just remebered.....that particular barrel in the test shot better in every way with Ramshot Hunter than all the other powders.

My understanding is that it wasn't an accuracy test; but I brought up in the past that the short powder column and 30 degree shoulder didn't seem to have a measurable effect on accuracy or getting the fuel "lit" with more "efficiency".

Everything appeared to be pretty much same/same, with the usual small uncontrollable variables.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

. . . . a man who must have at least 15 wildcats in 9.3 ! grin

You're my hero . . . a 9,3 Newton by chance?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I think JB touched on the 300 H&H/300 WSM test in one of his Gun Gack books.
Charlie I don't think we need any more calibers either. A deer is still just a deer the same as they were in the days of Jack O Connor and Elmer Keith. I drank the Creedmore Kool Aid briefly . Didn't care for the rifle it was in and wasn't impressed enough to buy reloading dies. I sold it and had a 6.5X55 built and I love it. My last three custom rifles are in classic time proven calibers. The Swede, a 38-55 on a high wall action and a 300 H&H on a #1. If it's not broken stop trying to fix it.

Probably don't really NEED the ones we have stacked away in the safe....

But, that's a 4 letter word to a Loony... blush

grin

DF

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I certainly cant say we dont need more calibers. But.....I my opinion.......the 338 Win Mag necked up to 9.3 , may be the most useful wildcat I ever made when it comes to putting meat in the freezer.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Muskegman
I wish you hadn’t mentioned that.....now I have to buy another reamer... grin
Charlie

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Fellas, this thread right here is why I have paid my dues of enduring a lot of Campfire dreck lo these many years now. Thank you, most sincerely.

While I have zero personal use for the magnum cartridges discussed in the course of the thread, the theory is transferable to that which does interest me. As an incorrigible student of the gun, I shall follow this thread to its end.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Am I wrong in promoting the following Therom:

The straighter the case becomes.....the more footpounds of energy is produced per grain of powder burned?

Thanks

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Am I wrong in promoting the following Therom:

The straighter the case becomes.....the more footpounds of energy is produced per grain of powder burned?

Thanks

You're correct in that case capacity to bore volume ratio matters, but the max average pressure of the cartridge matters as well.

That said, If two cartridges have the same capacity and operate at the same pressure, the one that as a larger diameter bore will be more efficient, ie, "the more foot-pounds of energy is produced per grain of powder burned."

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I certainly cant say we dont need more calibers. But.....I my opinion.......the 338 Win Mag necked up to 9.3 , may be the most useful wildcat I ever made when it comes to putting meat in the freezer.
Charlie

Ah, the 9.3 Norma?!?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Angus
You maybe right. About a year ago I started making rhubarb wine. Seems every batch turns out different, even when I do the exact same things. BUT IT ALWAYS TASTES GOOD ! grin

Did you give up on the 120 Knob Creek?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sitka
I’ll give up Knob Creek when the grass grows over me....... grin
Charlie

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Angus
I hadn’t given that formula any thought so I cant say. But after doing a lot of testing, to me, foot pounds of energy from a bullet is a might near useless number.......aaaahhhhhh....that statement will rub some hair the wrong way, but thats what my testing has shown. Your mileage may vary.
Charlie

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Angus
I hadn’t given that formula any thought so I cant say. But after doing a lot of testing, to me, foot pounds of energy from a bullet is a might near useless number.......aaaahhhhhh....that statement will rub some hair the wrong way, but thats what my testing has shown. Your mileage may vary.
Charlie

FPE is a useless number IMHO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What measurements are " needed" when comparing kinetic ordinants?

Why is the 9.3 deemed a superior ordinance?

Does temperature affect the performance of primers?

Is FPE a kinetic energy measurement?

Are metallic cartridges a kinetic ordinance ?

Thanks

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Angus,

Apparently you're one of the millions of Internet users who expect a "free" definitive answer in 2-3 sentences/ Good luck.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, Anaconda, Amos63, arky65, 10 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 768 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,100
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.