Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Be careful when going small. I bought a Jayco J Flight 19 RB Baja Series. Tows great, but going up for sale, I am going larger with a slide. At first I thought it was OK but after a three week trip with just my dog and I is was evident it was too small, Don't know if I could do a month! Don't fool yourself about going with a cargo trailer, been there. A hot shower and a microwave are really nice along with an indoor toilet are really nice after a few days in the field. I am getting soft in my old age. We used to hunt with a tarp, sleeping bag, ice chest, and a cast iron skillet, but now if I'm roughing it, I bring a tent, a big one.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One big thing you can do to a cargo trailer to improve them for hunting is to flip the axle to give you more clearance. It goes from low rider to expedition trailer. Throw some traction tires on there to complete the look. grin My local trailer shop charged me $100 to do one of mine when it was new but you could do it yourself if you were inclined. For $100 it wasn't worth it to me to crawl around under the trailer and have it fall on my stupid ass.

LOL
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

My 'Pod I have ordered..standard ground clearance is 18"

The optional upgraded suspension I opted for adds another 2"

We have 'BFR's' in Utah------- grin

But again...these are 'short people' & not everyone's cup of tea

The 12 month wait prob is a big turn off to some....I'm locked in to an April build date

[Linked Image from escapod.us]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Just get a beater pop-up and go hunt.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Switch
Be careful when going small. I bought a Jayco J Flight 19 RB Baja Series. Tows great, but going up for sale, I am going larger with a slide. At first I thought it was OK but after a three week trip with just my dog and I is was evident it was too small, Don't know if I could do a month! Don't fool yourself about going with a cargo trailer, been there. A hot shower and a microwave are really nice along with an indoor toilet are really nice after a few days in the field. I am getting soft in my old age. We used to hunt with a tarp, sleeping bag, ice chest, and a cast iron skillet, but now if I'm roughing it, I bring a tent, a big one.

You forgot the Beauty Rest mattress with flannel sheets and electric blanket.

IC B2

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up one of these a few years ago. Starcraft AR-1 14B. Great little rig for fishing and hunting trips. Only gave $4K for it used.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

14 ft long. Has a fridge and microwave and a bathroom.Also has a 7 ft awning and a lot of storage space. Easy to tow with just about anything

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's nice. 👍

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MM879

I did not! I have a generator and a Dish TV too , I spent many many nights with the win blowing up my ass! Still do, last week we spent the night in our camper shells at about + 10 degrees, went to bed at about 6:30 because nothing to do in the raging wind. Longest night in recent memory! GSP's agreed and hated being stuffed into my bag.

Last edited by Switch; 12/29/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If looking for small, single person use, hunting/fishing- I’d get a slide in for the truck before a trailer.

Travel Trailers are in fact POS. It’s almost comical when you start going through them. Balsa and staples 😀
That said, I enjoy the heck out of mine with the family. Just don’t have any illusions as to their construction. I’d never buy a new one. The purpose built teardrops like Tikkas are probably an exception.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As to buy bigger, I’m of the opposite opinion.

I have a 23 Jayco that is definitely cozy with the wife, two kids, and a couple dogs, but I don’t hang out inside it much either. I’d not want slide outs or more weight and a bigger sail heading down the road.

Reasonably small and simple is my preference.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Check out Artic Fox they are a 4 season trailer or 5th wheel. Big thing is they are one of the few that build there own frame. Also the suspension is a little heavier than most

They come with Bigger tanks and enclose belly. I try to keep mine off bad roads as much as possible. They also come with heavier tire. But they are a little heavier to tow.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Have owned and hunted out of three Coleman pop ups and one ALiner a-frame. Something to consider when going with a pop-up - they cannot handle a snow load. Anything more than a few inches of snow and the canvas is at risk. Cable mechanism holding up top is fairly fragile and not able to handle loads of any consequence. A-Frame trailers like the ALiner are better but any snow load must be completely removed before you drop the lids. Any weight on top and the lid will come down violently.

Outside of snow country they work pretty well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MM879

I did not! I have a generator and a Dish TV too , I spent many many nights with the win blowing up my ass! Still do, last week we spent the night in our camper shells at about + 10 degrees, went to bed at about 6:30 because nothing to do in the raging wind. Longest night in recent memory! GSP's agreed and hated being stuffed into my bag.

My last trip was in 30F freezing rain. I started the Honda 1000 up put it under a tee pee and let it run till empty. Filled up and did it again. DVD collection is +100's . The digital antenna is fun to use the local broadcast. It is always good to see a different view. Go big and pretend it's home.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Neighbor down the street has a quad pod.
Cannot attest to the build quality but it looks like it might be handy.
http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2385&OB=DESC

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Solo, I loved a slide in. Me a coleman stove, lantern, water jug, ice chest and a litt li e heater. Never had to go back for lunch, or to move to a better camp. Companions, dogs, facilities all complicate things. A dead deer does too. A 6.2 should pull a lot. I do fine with a 3.5 in Colorado mountains.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought this used for $3K 4 or 5 years ago. Works great for Wife and I. Good for 3-4 days. If you stay longer than that then a shower and bathroom would be nice. Pull it around with my Nissan Frontier and still get 20mpg.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The RV market is crazy right now. Prices are high. Supply is low. Travel trailer quality is complete schidt when things are good. Imagine what's rolling off the line with a substantially new workforce trying to meet historically high demand. I'd try to find a decent deal on a used one, or I'd wait a while.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The trouble with Travel Trailers is they are always too big when you're towing them, and too small when you get there!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This popped up on the Albuquerque CL. Might give you some good ideas: https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/rvs/d/corrales-2020-stealth-6x12-camper-rv/7255315481.html

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (7mm_Loco, 35, Allen Martin, 300_savage, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 8 invisible), 1,703 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,475
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.