Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just bought a set of Swaro El's and they didn't come with a neck strap. I've always carried binos with a neck strap so I can quickly access them , glass something I spot and put them back under my unbuttoned coat or shirt, depending on what I'm wearing at the moment. Never really cared for a harness, since I usually carry my daypack when I'm out and about hiking and spotting.

So, who makes a really comfortable neck strap? I see lots of these on line, but I don't want to go through this a half dozen times and have it arrive and find out it is only slightly better than a shoe string- which I've used in an emergency when I broke my neck strap one year.... wink These Swaros are also quite a bit heavier than the Leupolds I used to carry, so I'm looking for something a bit more substantial than the Leupold strap I've been using for years...

TIA,
Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Bob you need to try a bino harness. You won’t have near the neck fatigue with a harness when packing around heavy binoculars.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...msclkid=556b7ce2e73d1e66cd462308a236c266

I have the crooked horn outfitters but several people make them now.

Last edited by MadDog4298; 12/28/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Consider a chest bino pouch/pack, they are pretty much in vogue now especially for heavier binos.

Alaskan Guide Creations, Vortex, Kuiu, Mystery Ranch and others make em. Better protection than the bino harness and less fatigue than a neck strap.

Alaskan Guide Creations

Vortex Guide

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not sure any neoprene strap is better than any other

I use the Nimrod harness for heavy binos and the Rick Young harness for light ones. The Rick Young system can be used a number of different ways

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I use the Rick Young bino harness. No neck fatigue, keeps the binos out of the way until they are needed. Highly recommend.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you want a swaro neck strap, I have the ones that came off my EL's.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I use a vero velleni and like it when not using a chest rig

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I use Rick Young as well. Very simple harness but works great. I use it for a 8x42 as well as a 12.5x50 and have no complaints.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BluMtn
If you want a swaro neck strap, I have the ones that came off my EL's.

I would appreciate it if you feel like messing with sending them down. PM me with what you want for them and other info.... funny thing, I hunt the Blues in Oregon quite often....

I'm just not the harness type of guy... I wear a heavy coat most of the time elk hunting, along with my day pack and other things. Having a harness around my chest the couple times I tried it just drove me crazy. I prefer the simple notion of having a neck strap and I wrap it around my shirt collar for a bit of extra padding and slip the binos into my unbuttoned shirt or coat when I'm not using them and they are extremely handy to get out quickly and put back if I have to move to a better spot quickly or have to get down on my hands and knees to creep up on a perch to spy on an animal.... getting too old to change tactics now.... wink

Thanks for the info guys... Midway has the Vellinni units on sale at the moment also, so I may have to try them...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by spence1875
I use a vero velleni and like it when not using a chest rig

These help to reduce the felt weight of the binoculars. If I might be running, crawling or climbing I have a mini bungee cord I put on around my waist, it is long enough I can glass without taking it off and it helps to steady the binos some too. I know what you mean about the harness and they seem so overbuilt on some models like you were going to load a deer quarter in there and haul it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I go to the hardware store, buy harness leather straps, and cut to desired dimensions. Lasts for decades and is cold and/or UV resistant. Don't care for the harness systems where one is tugging against restraining shock cords etc during extended glassing. Being out there with a goal of nailing deer, elk, or whatever, weight is no issue.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/29/20.

1Minute
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Bighorn
I use the Rick Young bino harness. No neck fatigue, keeps the binos out of the way until they are needed. Highly recommend.

This x100

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still use the elastic harness type but with all the plastic noisemakers removed. Can’t get into the chest pack tacticool woke sacks....

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 16bore
Still use the elastic harness type but with all the plastic noisemakers removed. Can’t get into the chest pack tacticool woke sacks....

I went o a full on chest rig a few years back, and its the best thing I ever did....never cared what the deers, coyotes, or Fudds thought about how it looked. Binos, mouth calls, caller remote, spare mag, first aid, rangefinder...all right where I need it without having to dig or fumble.

[Linked Image from evike.com]

Last edited by liliysdad; 12/29/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For something to hold them up the Rick Young can’t be beat.

For a no frills bino harness badlands makes some great ones at a decent price point.

If you want it all. The new one from Sitka although much for shed hunting/ hiking will replace everything else in the hunting season.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Rick Young is the way to go.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by liliysdad

I went o a full on chest rig a few years back, and its the best thing I ever did....never cared what the deers, coyotes, or Fudds thought about how it looked. Binos, mouth calls, caller remote, spare mag, first aid, rangefinder...all right where I need it without having to dig or fumble.

There a molle pouch for the sink? laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by liliysdad

There a molle pouch for the sink? laugh

Oddly enough, not a single molle strap anywhere on the whole rig...

Pouch that holds my rangefinder, one that holds my diaphragm calls/tourniquet/random nonsense, pistol rides in the right hand mag pouch, Lucky Duck remote in the left pouch, the middle two pouches I split to hold binos. Two pistol mag pouches carry mouth calls, howler, strikers, etc ...

It's a hell of a set up. I don't have to carry a pack much anymore when coyote or turkey hunting, and everything is exactly where I need it to be.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,395
Posts18,488,841
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.