Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Stammster
Out of the > 10 saws I have, the Stihl 250 and 361 are all I really need for felling, bucking, limbing, and milling of trees < 20” in diameter.

I prefer a 0.325” 18” bar/chain on the 250, but a 16” works fine.
The 361 wears a 20” bar most of the time, but will also pull a 25”. I like to mill with the 25” when on my Granberg, as it is long enough for me to use an extension ladder section as the mill guide.

For large milling or extremely hard wood, my 044 is a little faster. When milling, saw weight doesn’t really matter - but for felling and bucking, I seldom break out the 044 as it wears me out. In fact, I’d rather use my 250 than 361 for most light/medium duty for that same reason. Oddly, I often find myself reaching for the 250 rather than 026 for the same reason.

Good to hear you like the MS250. I like it a lot and don't have any plans to get rid of it. When I bought it originally, it was to be used for cutting trails and limbing/cutting shooting lanes. The weight was ideal for that. I didn't need a saw with much power for that either. That little saw has been through a lot. Much, much, more than it was intended or designed for. It's not going anywhere if I can help it.

Camp is where you make it.
GB4

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Do you have any recommendations for 2 stroke plugs not made there by chance?

Dwayne,

Do you have access to NKG plugs in your neck of the north? We've had pretty good luck with them on most anything I've needed them for. 2 stroke bikes, outboard motors, and chainsaws. They're made in Japan. But like most Japanese products, they seem to be a good quality item.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by White_Bear
I had a 95cc at one time but I was an animal back then.

Back then? The Bear is not to be messed with!!

Why am I not suprised that you had a 95cc saw? grin

Originally Posted by White_Bear
I currently have red saws but color doesn't make them cut. I have a couple of 71cc saws and they are getting a bit heavy. I love them for tearing into a pile of wood but way too much for tipping and limbing. I was actually thinking about selling one and getting a 55cc or so pro saw. I had a 95cc at one time but I was an animal back then. You mentioned a mill. Thanks, now I have another project and an excuse to keep them both.
I do like the 24" bar so I don't have to bend over while cutting. A 62 would probably be on my list if I owned just one saw. I thing my neighbor ND has one about that size.

We don't have any Red dealers anywhere near. That was what I looked for first since you and ND have and like them so much. Using Dave's saw before, I do like it.

The mill would be strictly for F'n around with. Nothing serious and no real plans for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Do you have any recommendations for 2 stroke plugs not made there by chance?

Dwayne,

Do you have access to NKG plugs in your neck of the north? We've had pretty good luck with them on most anything I've needed them for. 2 stroke bikes, outboard motors, and chainsaws. They're made in Japan. But like most Japanese products, they seem to be a good quality item.

tzone;
Thanks for the information sir, I do appreciate it.

Back when I used to be able to actually find the spark plugs on vehicles we owned, NGK were my go to plug in them and in 4 stroke motorcycles or generators.

It's funny how we - I anyways sir - make decisions based upon decades old experience which may or may not have any bearing whatsoever on current reality.

We had great luck with a couple Datsun/Nissan cars, but our youngest daughter's partner has had transmission issues with his newer one already at very low mileage. frown

Things change faster than I apparently keep up!

Yes though I do believe there's a purveyor of parts where I can source NGK plugs and will look into them.

All the best to you in 2021 and thanks again.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 12/30/20. Reason: wasn't done yet.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by High_Noon
If you're using it for a mill you need a 660 or 880. Other that that a MS261 would be excellent for the work you describe. If you want something bigger that can handle a bar longer than 20", a MS462 would be an excellent choice.

Does it really need to be that big?

If so, I’m not ready for that yet.

You dont want to mill with a saw below 80cc IMO.

I had a 562xp. Great saw, but mine was an early one with some electronic issues. I believe they now have these issues sorted out.
Stihl is coming out with a new saw called the MS4000 which the specs on it look impressive. The also have a 5000 with impressive specs.

IC B2

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
From what I understand those electrical issues have been fixed.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (007FJ, 160user, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,948
Posts18,480,334
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.