Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Fiddy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Found it again. It definitely came from the rear quarter of the animal, though it was impossible to tell from exactly where. But now that I've got the area narrowed down I can pay more attention next time.

GB1

Fiddy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Simoneaud

I'm glad the bone wasn't in the ribs. The meat from around the ribs and under the belly is my favorite part of the rabbit.

I've been busy at work so my wife did this one in a wine sauce in the slow cooker. If I'm being honest I wish she hadn't. I prefer braised or at least slow cooked in something other than the wine. Not to knock her for trying but she didn't properly follow any recipe and it showed.

It fell apart a bit during slow cooker extraction.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
We always piece em out.

Never have found the bone you are describing.

Something that small looks vertebrae related.

I am MAGA.
Fiddy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
We always piece em out.

Never have found the bone you are describing.

Something that small looks vertebrae related.

That is what I keep thinking. I'll do some better forensics on the next one, maybe next week.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Fiddy

Found it again. It definitely came from the rear quarter of the animal, though it was impossible to tell from exactly where. But now that I've got the area narrowed down I can pay more attention next time.

You have there what is the rabbit version of the "knee cap". Even when you bone them out it is so small and surrounded by flesh they are easy to miss. If it bothers you just remove the meat on the front of the middle leg joint. Half inch either side of the joint should easily take out the bone. I am used to wild bunnies and my experience is limited. But usually the rear leg is so small from the "knee" down the section is not worth saving and gets discarded. So no trouble with the knee caps.

IC B2

Fiddy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Originally Posted by Fiddy

You have there what is the rabbit version of the "knee cap". Even when you bone them out it is so small and surrounded by flesh they are easy to miss. If it bothers you just remove the meat on the front of the middle leg joint. Half inch either side of the joint should easily take out the bone. I am used to wild bunnies and my experience is limited. But usually the rear leg is so small from the "knee" down the section is not worth saving and gets discarded. So no trouble with the knee caps.

That makes perfect sense. I cut them off the hanger right at that joint, which would also explain why its only sometimes I find this bone. I'll move up the leg a little, and let the misses know too.

Funny you mention there's nothing desirable below that joint... I have a dog who eats anything, including months-old deer bones she found in the pasture this evening, as well as a few pigs who are not slouches in the dispose-all department. None of them will eat the foot!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,397
Posts18,488,893
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.