Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went with this J T Defense Mount
and a Venom on mt Gen 2 G19. I'm liking it a lot, so far, but only have 100 rounds or so in with it. It's fun to see both the sight and target again.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just sighted in a Vortex crossfire on my Blackhawk in 41 mag.

Worked good out to 100 yards.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by b_li_ber_tar_ian
I just got my son a G40 MOS for Christmas. He wanted a handgun to use during alternative season and didnt care for my 629. Topped off with a Holosun 507c x2, its amazingly fast and accurate out to 75yds. It's our first 10mm, luckily Sportsmans Guide had Fed 180gr 10mm for .47/rnd

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Great hunting setup. You’re correct! 75yds is easily doable.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sig 365XL with a Romeo Zero. Once you figure out the “presentation “ you find the dot rather quickly. What I like the most is that I can adjust the dot for whatever load I want to shoot. Fixed windage driftable sights were always seeming to be shooting low and left for me. (My buddy says”like your politics”)

Nice compact EDC setup. Oh, and mines a hybrid, my son and I traded grip frames so I have a 365 grip with the XL slide.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Trijicon RMR fan here. My G19 with an RMR06:

[Linked Image]

I assume that’s a campfire approved 10 shot 100 yard group? 😁

Nice shooting and nice looking setup.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Definite yes from me but I'd pass on the red-dot and go for the new HS507C-GR x2. I have several red-dots and this new Holosun green circle-dot is my favorite by far!
This pic is from my cell phone and isn't very clear. The actual sight picture is crisp and much easier for me to pick up compared to my Trijicon SRO....

HS507C-GR x2
[Linked Image]

Trijicon SRO
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The red dots are a game changer for anyone who has the age related eyesight issues. I use a Trijicon RMR and am very happy with it.

I found the easiest way to learn it is to have backup irons. When presenting the pistol, find the sights and the dot is there. No need to try to focus on the front sight (which I can't do without reading glasses at my age).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Thinking about a G19 MOS and RDS to stimulate the economy. Never used anything but standard sights.

Yes or no?

It was a game changer for me. At 56...I can out shoot my 20-something self with a 1911 wearing a Trijicon RMR.

I put one on my .500 NE double first. After a couple of African hunts with it...I put one on a 1911. Never going back.

Last edited by ledvm; 12/31/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Trijicon RMR fan here. My G19 with an RMR06:

[Linked Image]

I assume that’s a campfire approved 10 shot 100 yard group? 😁

Nice shooting and nice looking setup.

That's a group my daughter shot with my G19 during a family range day on my dad's place a short time back. She's a Sig fan, and had never fired a Glock or a pistol equipped with a RDS. I thing she got the hang of it pretty quick.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yes. Do it

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I shoot a Glock 34 MOS with a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro in competition. I like it, and it gives you a little more precision than irons. I also shoot some matches with iron sights. For carry, I use iron sights.

Do you use the delta or dot version?
Most reviews I've read prefer the dot, but the delta makes more sense to me.

I use the 2.5 MOA dot. It works well for me and is plenty bright, even on sunny days. I'd say the choice is personal preference.

As some of us get older, we are changing to RD as the ability to focus changes and slows. I don't compete, so I don't shoot nearly as much as you. Could you fill me in on why you prefer irons for carry over a reliable high end RD like your Leupold?

I had problems with the DeltaPoint Pro early on where it would suddenly stop working. One of the contacts was moving under recoil. I had to send it in to Leupold a couple of times. It's fixed and has been working well now for several thousand rounds. Still, I'm not sure I would trust it for carry. I think if I were to carry with a red dot I might use a Trijicon RMR as they have a reputation for greater reliability. They have a smaller "window" however, and are not as good for competition. I still shoot iron sights pretty well and mostly carry a Glock 26 or 19 which are much more compact than a Glock 34.

Many serious competitors who shoot slide mounted red dots have two guns set up that way, then they can send in one if it breaks and still have a working gun for competition. Most of these folks are shooting more than ten thousand rounds a year with their red dots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ledvm
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Thinking about a G19 MOS and RDS to stimulate the economy. Never used anything but standard sights.

Yes or no?

It was a game changer for me. At 56...I can out shoot my 20-something self with a 1911 wearing a Trijicon RMR.

I put one on my .500 NE double first. After a couple of African hunts with it...I put one on a 1911. Never going back.

Did you get a pistol with a RMR slide cut or have one cut?
I'm thinking about a Ed Brown RMR cut slide and build/fit a complete upper for one of my other 1911's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot a Glock 34 MOS with a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro in competition. I like it, and it gives you a little more precision than irons. I also shoot some matches with iron sights. For carry, I use iron sights.

Do you use the delta or dot version?
Most reviews I've read prefer the dot, but the delta makes more sense to me.

I use the 2.5 MOA dot. It works well for me and is plenty bright, even on sunny days. I'd say the choice is personal preference.

As some of us get older, we are changing to RD as the ability to focus changes and slows. I don't compete, so I don't shoot nearly as much as you. Could you fill me in on why you prefer irons for carry over a reliable high end RD like your Leupold?

I had problems with the DeltaPoint Pro early on where it would suddenly stop working. One of the contacts was moving under recoil. I had to send it in to Leupold a couple of times. It's fixed and has been working well now for several thousand rounds. Still, I'm not sure I would trust it for carry. I think if I were to carry with a red dot I might use a Trijicon RMR as they have a reputation for greater reliability. They have a smaller "window" however, and are not as good for competition. I still shoot iron sights pretty well and mostly carry a Glock 26 or 19 which are much more compact than a Glock 34.

Many serious competitors who shoot slide mounted red dots have two guns set up that way, then they can send in one if it breaks and still have a working gun for competition. Most of these folks are shooting more than ten thousand rounds a year with their red dots.

Thanks bowmanh. That makes sense.

I will keep that in mind. I like the size of the window too when I pick it up at the counter. I have a RD on a primary carry now, but was considering the Leupold if the prices come down. I don't think I will get in any serious competition at my age, but wanted a tactical edge. It's good to hear your experience with this since you have both.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just ordered a Swampfox Kingslayer with the green circle, dot reticle on sale at DVOR for my Ruger Mk IV Tactical. They just announced a Streamlight sale to so I'm about to pick up a light for it. My holster will accommodate the sight, but not the light which I'll probably end up having to take off and attach as needed.

I should be able to smoke furry things at night out to about 50yrds and in traps.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Did my part to stimulate the economy and bought this Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS and Holosun HS507C V2 locally. Both are new, never fired. That "dot" is going to take some getting used to after a lifetime of regular sights.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm one of those with aging eyes that struggle with open sights. My first red dot purchases were RMR's on hunting revolvers and I've been adding red dots to carry guns. Most recent have been Holosuns on a P320 and P365XL. I shoot much better with red dots but need more practice before I start carrying with them. I don't think I'd purchase a new handgun today that wasn't red dot capable...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a SIG Romeo on my Ruger super redhawk in .454 Casull. Works wonders for old eyes that can't see the irons worth a crap anymore.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (Anaconda, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 16,902 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,186
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.