Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter

they used choppers with thermal to try to find him at night he had a foil-lined tarp he would sleep under. wouldn't build fires.

Sounds like he got his jollies giving the finger.

That I understand.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by MattMan
Originally Posted by Texson2
How many of us can go off 30 miles into the Bush and live off the land for three weeks?

Unless you’re in Alaska, none of us. There’s NOWHERE in the contiguous 48 states much more than 10 miles from the nearest road. If you find a spot that is, post up the coordinates.

Bob Marshall Wilderness for starters.

I would think you could in the CMR as well.

Guess it also depends on how you define roads. There are expanses in the high desert that are miles and miles from a county road, let alone a state highway. There may be old 2 tracks or ranch trails, but a long ways from a road.

I would suppose you could also get that far away from roads in ynp.

Allagash wilderness in maine.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by atse

Remote trail cams would make it more difficult now. The same with thermal from a chopper. I have looked down in heavy timber from a chopper with a thermal scope. Heat signatures are fairly easy to see.

Guatemalan's that can't spell "cat" have that problem sorted out.

I'd think most anglo's could too.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by deflave

There are plenty of places in the United States that you can do that legally.

I don't see any point in his endeavor.

In an area with almost no public land to speak of amid huge landholdings I would guess that hopping fences was not an uncommon practice among the local working class stiffs. As noted, before the era of trail cams and thermal cameras.

Heck, we have had poachers going after deer and hogs with firearms, crossbows, bows and even dogs well inside the city limits right here in San Antonio along the undeveloped flood plains.

With respect to antlers it does seem a puzzle to me that people would run big risks and/or pay serious money while obsessing over large antlers but, since I once drove 2,000+ miles to find a Connecticut warbler I ain’t gonna judge 🙂

If ya wanna hate on that Prince of Poachers guy IIRC from reading his book years back he also poached on at least one occasion in West Texas and New Mexico (unless that was another book, pretty sure it was him).

Jimmy Buffet sang about smuggling weed, in “Rocky Top” Lynn Anderson sung about murdering strangers and Federal Agents to protect the moonshine trade (when I first heard that song on Hee Haw it made my blood run cold grin ) I’m pretty sure most everyone who likes those songs is against weed smuggling and murder.

The appeal of the Poachers guy is his extraordinary feats of endurance, hunting and woodcraft as well as the snapshots of life in South Texas.

Doesn’t mean ya gotta approve of what he did or feel bad that he got caught. Seems like he sure got off light.

I don't see his accomplishments as any form of accomplishment.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Spoken by a true expert on the lack of accomplishment.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Spoken by a true expert on the lack of accomplishment.

gunnotawizard,

I believe this was 20 miles IN.

Your turn.

LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by stxhunter

they used choppers with thermal to try to find him at night he had a foil-lined tarp he would sleep under. wouldn't build fires.

Sounds like he got his jollies giving the finger.

That I understand.

Yeah me too.

Let's go poach JamesJr's place.

LOL

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

I would sure like to know where a person could get 10 miles from a road in the CMR. 3-5 maybe depending on how roads are counted. If we are talking 2 tracks that count as county or refuge roads probably not even that far.

If you count winter I would say that's easy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoot, half of Wyoming is nowhere near a decent road.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I went to school with Charles, always kind of a loner, but in ninth grade he was making close to 20-k a year with his taxidermist, he was the best bird man in Texas. I remember thinking that may be more than my Dad at GD made, I always liked Charlie because he new his hunting, I know ,was raised on Ranch. I saw him last year at 45 reunion, he was sorry about the poaching in his life. but what a rush.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Angus55
I went to school with Charles, always kind of a loner, but in ninth grade he was making close to 20-k a year with his taxidermist, he was the best bird man in Texas. I remember thinking that may be more than my Dad at GD made, I always liked Charlie because he new his hunting, I know ,was raised on Ranch. I saw him last year at 45 reunion, he was sorry about the poaching in his life. but what a rush.

Is he white trash?

Or just motivated?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
ive got a copy of the book if anyone wants to read it id sent it out
its a good read albeit needed a editor who could lay out pages and spell

shoot me a pm if you wanna read it

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

The frank church. Middle fork of the Salmon river

Originally Posted by renegade50
How many of us can go off 30 miles into the Bush and live off the land for three weeks?

Unless you’re in Alaska, none of us. There’s NOWHERE in the contiguous 48 states much more than 10 miles from the nearest road. If you find a spot that is, post up the coordinates.

Guess it also depends on how you define roads. There are expanses in the high desert that are miles and miles from a county road, let alone a state highway. There may be old 2 tracks or ranch trails, but a long ways from a road.

Allagash wilderness in maine.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Like everything else, so many wannabes and experts want to pass judgement. Not for me to say. Charlie will have his judgment day before God.
I tell folks I had the worst three hobbies in the world. Hunting, Horses and Women. Been a helluva a lot of fun and hopefully I ain’t done yet. Hard for me to condemn a man who’s passion is hunting and chasin pussy. Give em hell Charlie, you did it brother and did it your way. Pass all the judgement you want but y’all haven’t heard his really good stories and probably never will . He’s already wrote a second book.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

JFC.... really?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Damn. You ever been to Texas?

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

I would sure like to know where a person could get 10 miles from a road in the CMR. 3-5 maybe depending on how roads are counted. If we are talking 2 tracks that count as county or refuge roads probably not even that far.

If you are talking a paved road, no problem. If you are talking a county road, I think you could still get that far in, at least travel miles. Maybe not as a crow flies, but the track it would take to hike down into maybe billy creek or west of snow creek on the shore.

Last edited by Tarkio; 01/01/21.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Damn. You ever been to Texas?

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Roger, thanks for posting this. Having lived in Harlingen a few years, I was aware of an illegal Nilgai, (hog & deer) hunting operation that poached the Laguna Madre side of the King Ranch. One thing I never really understood was how some of those barrier islands were also habitat for Nilgai, deer, hogs, AND rattlesnakes! How the fug did they get out there? Hard to believe any animal would swim a mile or more.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most remote place in lower 48 is in Yellowstone NP
21.7 miles from the nearest road.
Googled it so don’t know how accurate
But just real simple math........
I mean.....big ranches........a radius of 30 miles is.......1.8 million acres.........plus an extra 9000 or so acres
But just saying 1.8 million is enough

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (7887mm08, 35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,515
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.