Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Last year my doe in Maine went 146. She was good sized. Lots of 250+ bucks in Maine I am told this year. Funny, here in Maine the first question is always what did it weigh? Racks are fine but we hunt for weight with bucks.

The way life should be.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Have no way of weighing dressed deer so go my how much meat we get. Average doe is maybe 50lbs. Few years ago brother shot one that went 75 lbs meat. She was flat out large.

If I don't get a chance to weigh a deer live or dressed weight, I estimate it using the Pennsylvania Game Commission heart girth measurement method which has a table of edible meat.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What th they eat plays a huge part.

No one farms here anymore.
Fields were planted in plantation pines.

Hard woods are getting scarce.
Lot of places only hardwoods left are on creeks and Rivers.

Go north to the MS delta and west to the MS River and the deer size are bigger.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

TDN Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roundoak
Assuming you are talking a Whitetail doe, I called a hunter in our Whitetail deer camp who keeps track of deer weights and racks and he got back to me with a 2009 doe that weighed 156 lbs. field dressed. He went on to say that the average for a field dressed doe in his records was 117 lbs..

Thanks! That’s helpful info.
Yes, I’m talking whitetails. Usually my does are late season and just get hung up at home to butcher w friends and no weight is taken. But, I think I’m going to start keeping track.
This years doe was taken in Ottawa Co. Michigan.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Probably 15 years ago I shot a doe here that dressed 150lbs, she was HUGE. Her head looked like it was off a mule......

I shot a bigun this year. Her head looked huge too.

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Farm I used to hunt was not hunted much for years prior. When it was the family only shot bucks. Lots of old does and tons of food. Biggest one on a scale dressed 180. We shot a couple that seemed bigger but did not weigh them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yikes! a 180 lbs dressed doe?

Our record doe is 174lbs LIVE weight. Folks on forums used to say I was lying.

BTW: Our camp record buck was 275lb live weight. I've seen 300 pounders at the processor.

This year, my son pulled out two doe. One weighed 164 and the other 170.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Farm I used to hunt was not hunted much for years prior. When it was the family only shot bucks. Lots of old does and tons of food. Biggest one on a scale dressed 180. We shot a couple that seemed bigger but did not weigh them.

Mike,
Are you in Saskatchewan per chance? That's the only place I've ever seen a doe that I thought might be north of 175lbs (dressed).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman

Folks on forums used to say I was lying.

FWIW, we seriously doubt you're a liar - but must say you've demonstrated a penchant for spinning some rather fanciful yarns. smile

Originally Posted by shaman
[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]
This is our camp record, taken in 2007. He went 275 lbs live weight and scored 165. If I remember, we weighed the viscera and it went 80+lbs.

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane

Mike,
Are you in Saskatchewan per chance? That's the only place I've ever seen a doe that I thought might be north of 175lbs (dressed).

For reference, this buck was under 190lbs field dressed. I'm a little over 6' tall. 175=doezilla

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
No scale weight but took this doe in NY a long while back. Worst tasting deer I have ever brought home. My WAG is that she dressed at near 200#.?. I am 6"6" and 240ish# in that picture. The yearling on the panel behind me is bigger than most adult deer in VA. What do you all think she might have weighed?

Semper Fi

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't make it a habit of weighing does (or bucks) unless they are exceptional. A local tavern used to have a heaviest doe contest every year along with the big buck and heaviest yote contests. Largest I ever weighed in was 157 lbs dressed and I've seen maybe 2 on the hoof that were as large since. WAG I'd say an average doe around here dresses in the 110 lb range.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SKane

Mike,

Southeast Wisconsin. About 800 acres of farmland surrounded by houses and heavily hunted smaller parcels. Lots of deer on the property that likely never left their whole life. Had the age and the food. Did not make a habit of aging the deer but the few we did when the DNR was at the registration station were six plus. Several we shot had teeth barely above the gumline.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by haverluk
No scale weight but took this doe in NY a long while back. Worst tasting deer I have ever brought home. My WAG is that she dressed at near 200#.?. I am 6"6" and 240ish# in that picture. The yearling on the panel behind me is bigger than most adult deer in VA. What do you all think she might have weighed?

Shes got the build of cows we shot. Shes is every bit of 150. Hard to tell how wide she is. But she could go 175 or better if she is a "square" deer. Big does seem to not be as long as bucks rather they are "square" in their body dimensions.

Last edited by mike7mm08; 01/02/21.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Shes got the build of cows we shot. Shes is every bit of 150. Hard to tell how wide she is. But she could go 175 or better if she is a "square" deer. Big does seem to not be as long as bucks rather they are "square" in their body dimensions.

I think I understand what you mean by “square.” Here is another pic.

Semper Fi

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've killed just over 100 doe whitetail deer and only weighed one

117#

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I think I understand what you mean by “square.” Here is another pic.

Yep shes "square". Not one dimension stands out as being big compared to the rest. Width and height are nearly the same. I would say she easily breaks 150 and is approaching the 175 range. Touch thin through the hindquarters in my opinion to break 175. Impressive doe none the less.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here locally I’d say an average would be somewhere close to the 100lbs mark. I weigh them occasionally and of the 4 I weighed last they was 85 to 109lbs.
Shot a mature buck other day and he was 179

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That sounds about average .

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The stop and rest periods are effected more by our weight not the deer!😁

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,074
Posts18,482,669
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.