Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by Rolly
Since the 280 AI has become so popular I couldn't help but wonder why a 270 AI wouldn't also become popular if promoted by the gun press and manufacturers ? I understand that we don't really need a 270AI but then again one could argue that we didn't really need the 280 AI either and yet it has become wldely used and available.

my dog knows more about guns and chambering than you do

seems like a rude and uncalled for comment

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my opinion, cases based on the '06 - going AI is not worth the troubles for velocity reasons. I think there are cases that "improving" them is worthwhile, based on increased velocity alone. A few come to mind: Hornet, H&H cartridges, cartridges based on the 250 Savage. But, I finally got my 300 H&H pre-64 Winchester and I would not consider trying to improve it.

I have a pre-64 375 H&H AI and it does get higher velocity than 375 H&H, however, I bought it "AI'd" and got it for about 1/2 price of a standard 375 pre-64. I do not have means to accurately test pressure. (Some of the loads for the 375 H&H AI in Load Data are incredible!!!) I don't mind it being "improved", but the price my kids will get for it someday will be lower do to this "improvement". From what I've read by Ackley and others is that 375 Weatherby data can be used in this cartridge and I've been limiting loads to match Weatherby velocity and it happens to meet the loads of the Weatherby grains of powder wise.

When I built my 375 Whelen, I decided to go AI mainly for shoulder issues and availability of reamers and dies. It had nothing to do with velocity. It was work getting it to feed. A 9.3x62 would have been much easier.

I use 220 Swift data in my 22-250 AI and I believe that is prudent. (That 22-250AI shoots 1/4 MOA or less with full power loads.) This is a varmint rifle and 22 Creedmoor wasn't considered.

My 280 AI, in my opinion, was not enough improvement on velocity to make it worthwhile. I have not shot it enough to say that it significantly reduces case stretching, but I've heard it enough times from others that I suspect it to be true.

Finally, making statements like, "my dog knows more about guns and chambering than you do" I believe is rude and uncalled for also.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/20/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by outahere
AI's do look cool.

That was enough for me to try it (once) with a 338-06 IMP.

Made no sense but I do love the round!

funny when the anti gun lib puppets chime like they know something about firearms

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bugger
In my opinion, cases based on the '06 - going AI is not worth the troubles for velocity reasons. I think there are cases that "improving" them is worthwhile, based on increased velocity alone. A few come to mind: Hornet, H&H cartridges, cartridges based on the 250 Savage. But, I finally got my 300 H&H pre-64 Winchester and I would not consider trying to improve it.

I have a pre-64 375 H&H AI and it does get higher velocity than 375 H&H, however, I bought it "AI'd" and got it for about 1/2 price of a standard 375 pre-64. I do not have means to accurately test pressure. (Some of the loads for the 375 H&H AI in Load Data are incredible!!!) I don't mind it being "improved", but the price my kids will get for it someday will be lower do to this "improvement". From what I've read by Ackley and others is that 375 Weatherby data can be used in this cartridge and I've been limiting loads to match Weatherby velocity and it happens to meet the loads of the Weatherby grains of powder wise.

When I built my 375 Whelen, I decided to go AI mainly for shoulder issues and availability of reamers and dies. It had nothing to do with velocity. It was work getting it to feed. A 9.3x62 would have been much easier.

I use 220 Swift data in my 22-250 AI and I believe that is prudent. (That 22-250AI shoots 1/4 MOA or less with full power loads.) This is a varmint rifle and 22 Creedmoor wasn't considered.

My 280 AI, in my opinion, was not enough improvement on velocity to make it worthwhile. I have not shot it enough to say that it significantly reduces case stretching, but I've heard it enough times from others that I suspect it to be true.

Finally, making statements like, "my dog knows more about guns and chambering than you do" I believe is rude and uncalled for also.

AI designs have me puzzled : the .473 AIs have a shoulder diameter of .455”, the CM has a .462” shoulder diameter.
Shorter case body, but not used in the longer improved cases

I’m thinking about a 6.5 280 improved 30 with a CM taper, shoulder diameter of say .460”

Any thoughts ?

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

338Rules
On that 6.5-280AI.... If you want one you will get one. But a really great rifle builder I know started with a 6.5-06 and then tried at least 4 different chamber configurations to optimize it. There were shoulder angles of 28, 30, and 40. There were different body tapers. When he got to the “final most bestest” version, for which he had custom dies built, he said it was a waste of time and suggested the 6.5-06. So there you go.

Lastly, my beagle doesn’t give a rip about cartridges because she is preoccupied with getting a treat.

Last edited by RinB; 01/27/21.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rick,

These days, as another rifle-loony option there's the 6.5 PRC--which has just about exactly the same case capacity in a shorter, 30-degree shoulder case.

Of course I had to have one, so had Charlie Sisk rebarrel my 9.3 Barsness-Sisk rifle he built 15+ years ago on a stainless, short-magnum 700 action with a stainless Lilja barrel. Had Charlie install a stainless Lilja 1-8 twist in the same contour (so I could interchange barrels) and it shoots VERY well. The velocities are just about exactly what I got with my 6.5-06, a Shaw custom rifle made a dozen years earlier....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When firing forming the .280 case .
The case will actually get about .003 shorter.
They dont move much after FF.

Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My cousin and hunting buddy is building a 6.5-280 AI or 6.5-06 AI, I don't remember which.

If I build a 6.5-06, it will be a a necked up 25-06 with no other changes. (Clearly, there is an huge abundance of animals out in the world that neither the 270 nor the 25-06 would work for an assortment of very valid, important, and significant reasons. Thus my totally desperate need for a 6.5-06).

I don't think the '06 case needs improvement (or is significantly improved) in calibers 358 and smaller.

I do think an AI case looks nice. In most cases there isn't a lot of negatives with the AI case/chambering, though some people do a bad job of chambering the AI. And there is the often quoted case stretching issue.

Less than .01% of my center fire shooting is with factory ammo, so I have a different view in this regard than some regarding the 'AI or not AI' issue..

If you want an '06 or 280 AI case based rifle, that should be good enough reason to do it.

Bugger

Last edited by Bugger; 01/27/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bugger,

After my experience with the 6.5-06, would not build a conventional one--or use .25-06 brass necked up. Instead I'd build a 6.5/.270, and neck down .270 brass--for two reasons:

The .270's neck is longer, which reduces throat erosion slightly.

Necking down .270 brass bypasses the probability of creating the "dreaded donut" at the base of the neck, due to the thicker brass of the expanded .25-06's shoulder.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good advice MD thanks.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
IC B3

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by RinB

338Rules
On that 6.5-280AI.... If you want one you will get one. But a really great rifle builder I know started with a 6.5-06 and then tried at least 4 different chamber configurations to optimize it. There were shoulder angles of 28, 30, and 40. There were different body tapers. When he got to the “final most bestest” version, for which he had custom dies built, he said it was a waste of time and suggested the 6.5-06. So there you go.

Lastly, my beagle doesn’t give a rip about cartridges because she is preoccupied with getting a treat.

Given Nosler 280 AI brass and a standard style (not the Type S bushing) Redding full length sizing die, the 6.5-280 AI is just as easy as the 6.5-06. I've been working with one lately. It's a very likable cartridge.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One factor is the .270's SAAMI maximum average pressure is 65,000 PSI--as high as they allow for ANY cartridge.

Half or more of the reason the .280 AI gets more velocity is SAAMI's MAP for the standard .280 is 60,000 PSI, because it was originally introduced in Remington's semiauto rifle. When SAAMI accepted the .280 AI they standardized the MAP at 65,000.

Just "Ackley Improving" most rounds doesn't gain much extra powder room, and in fact in some basically none--as in the .35 Whelen AI, because there's no enough shoulder there to gain significantly more room.

The reason reason most Ackley Improved rounds gain significantly more velocity over the standard version are handloaders "work up" loads until they see "pressure signs," then back off a little. This generally means pressures a lot higher than data or factory ammo for the standard rounds.

About the only real advantage in AI'ing any cartridge is reduced case-stretch, due to the sharper shoulder maintaining headspace more firmly in the chamber.

Great info here. Thanks

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

(Excerpted from a few posts up)

First I’ve heard of this. A longer neck in a rifle cartridge tends to equal less throat erosion? Why?

Is it just the slightly increased distance from the main powder column to the throat?

Always preferred the extra grip on the bullet & less protruding of the bullet into powder space but this is another factor to appreciate longer necked cartridges for...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Common folk can get by with a 270 or 280. Never known a deer to understand the difference.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Originally Posted by MGunns
Common folk can get by with a 270 or 280. Never known a deer to understand the difference.

Yup that pretty much covers it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

338Rules

RinB Your beagle knows best !

The more I look at all these improved, and semi improved case designs, the more I like the Weatherby 6.5 RPM .
Just need dies and a source for good brass. Might want to long throat it a bit in a 700 LA
I’m sure we’ll see a few variations on the RPM case : 7mm, Or even a 9.3 come to mind.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LJB

338Rules

Given Nosler 280 AI brass and a standard style (not the Type S bushing) Redding full length sizing die, the 6.5-280 AI is just as easy as the 6.5-06. I've been working with one lately. It's a very likable cartridge.

LJB Why not the Redding Type S bushing die ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MGunns

More alike than different really. Pressure and Twist being the principal differences between those two.
Plus availability. ;-)

Tight Twisted 270s might become all the rage. Say that fast three or four times , ha

Those 130s spun fast might be just the ticket for whacking coyotes

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Originally Posted by LJB

338Rules

LJB Why not the Redding Type S bushing die ?

The Redding Type S dies (either FLR or NS) do not resize the neck all the way down to the neck/shoulder interface. This is true for every cartridge on which I have used them. When necking 280 AI cases down to 6.5-280 AI with the Type S die this "reverse donut" can be too large to fit in the 6.5-280 AI chamber. The standard die on the other hand sizes the neck all the way down to the neck/shoulder interface, which allows the necked down brass to chamber easily. Of course, once the initial neck reduction is done, the 280 AI Type S bushing die (with the right size bushing) can be used if you want to do so.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Anteloper

(Excerpted from a few posts up)

First I’ve heard of this. A longer neck in a rifle cartridge tends to equal less throat erosion? Why?

Is it just the slightly increased distance from the main powder column to the throat?.

Yep. Throat erosion is worst right in front of the case mouth, because that's where pressure and heat are highest. A longer neck protects more of the steel.

John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.