Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not much "come and go" with this old round, coming on strong for a century and change, still counting.

It's not going anywhere.

DF

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Really boring. If you are as bad a hunter as me, makes an ass shot, by boring, into a heart shot...a roundabout way to get to the heart, but it'll do it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Does boring mean fantastic?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Does boring mean fantastic?

Boring?

Yeah, pretty much... That one was shot with a win model 70 as well. Its boring and its old:
Bolt is on the right side though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Because it's dependable just like it's little brother.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, that's real boring... grin

It'll probably do the same thing next time and then again and again....

I do like your ctg holder. I have one just like it. Pat does a great job with his leather work. I'm wearing one of his belts. That thing will outlast me. And I also like his slings.

Back to the rifle. Yeah, it's boringly nice.... cool

Just the handle's on the wrong side.

Otherwise...

DF

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I do like your ctg holder. I have one just like it. Pat does a great job with his leather work. I'm wearing one of his belts. That thing will outlast me. And I also like his slings.

Otherwise...

DF

Lol. I’m wearing one of his belts as well. When I bought it I bought two. Well, several years later and the extra is still hanging brand new in the closet.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Otherwise...

DF

Lol. I’m wearing one of his belts as well. When I bought it I bought two. Well, several years later and the extra is still hanging brand new in the closet.

May as well sell the extra one on the Classifieds, you not gonna need it if you waiting for the first one to wear out.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I dusted off one of my boring old .30-06s this fall. Have killed more big game with my NULA Model 24 than any other rifle since acquiring it in 1997, but hadn't hunted with it in a while. So worked up a new load with the 175-grain Barnes LRX, using IMR4451. When I got to the max load listed it grouped three in half an inch, and it managed to take down a mule deer doe at 327 yards, rear-quartering shot that damaged very little meat. Don't usually use that much gun (or bullet) on mule deer does, but that part of our local valley has a grizzly or two wandering around....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That LRX would put a crimp in an ole Griz...

How fast you think that bullet was moving?

DF

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
It's not boring , it's ordinary, 114 years of history gives it creds , name familiarity, instant recognition with no mysteries left about it. Most who buy and use it shoot 150's or 180's point it right the job is dependably done, it works for ordinary people some less skilled and some above average but allways some that are ordinary. So the crux of the matter is because it is ordinary to so many users that some see it as boring. When I see a 30-06 the first thing I think of is a 1903 that my grandad qualified expert with in 1917 or my dad in 1942. I like the commercial 06's I have but it's the Springfields and the 1917 Eddystone Enfield that are special to me because they are ordinary and a special level of ordinary in my book and you know to last 114 years and still going strong it's level of ordinary will be hard to ever surpass. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So a 308 is just a little less than ordinary.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Every time I shoot my first and last 30-06 I don't think boring! The rifle is accurate, handy and not too heavy. It isn't pretty anymore but neither am I, we both still get the job done.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In addition to being “boring” I think they will be very available for the foreseeable future. Guns that are in stock are 308, 30-06, etc and the out of stock inventory are 6.5s of all persuasions.

Used gun rack at my LGS routinely has nice 30-06s available. I missed the boat on a CZ in 30-06. Seems a young man’s grandfather had left him the rifle in his will. He had stripped the finish and applied a hand rubbed oil finish. Looked completely custom. Very nice. Asked them to consign it so he could get a Creedmoor. Seems rounds like the 30-06 won’t kill as well as the older rounds.

Last edited by philgood80; 01/01/21.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Buckstopper
Originally Posted by jwall
It would become MAGIC if they changed its name to 30 creedmoor !!

Or the 30 Whelen!

I'd buy a 30 Whelen before I'd buy a 'creedmoor', uhh I already have whistle

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JackRyan
So a 308 is just a little less than ordinary.

a 3 0 what ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by philgood80
In addition to being “boring” I think they will be very available for the foreseeable future. Guns that are in stock are 308, 30-06, etc and the out of stock inventory are 6.5s of all persuasions.

Used gun rack at my LGS routinely has nice 30-06s available. I missed the boat on a CZ in 30-06. Seems a young man’s grandfather had left him the rifle in his well. He had stripped the finish and applied a hand rubbed oil finish. Looked completely custom. Very nice. Asked them to consign it so he could get a Creedmoor. Seems rounds like the 30-06 won’t kill as well as the older rounds.

That's the exact opposite of my area. I had to hunt and look for a 30-06. 6.5 and such all over the place. Ammo and hardware.

Talking the week before Christmas.

All hunting season I poked around various places. Almost every place had at least 4 boxes of 6.5, 6 Creed and 224 Valkyrie.

ZERO standards like 06, 08, 270 etc.

One place even had a good selection of Swede, 7 Mauser, 8 rem Mag etc.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why do folks call it boring?

Because their lives are an existential hell of dissatisfaction. They are constantly searching for some new thrill to stimulate their dead souls but, never finding it, they continue their vain and fruitless quest while all the time their haven and safe harbor is sitting at home, unused, "boring".

Yet like the prodigal son, when they have finally spent their fortunes and honor they return home to find their "boring" .30-06 waiting for them, not rebuking them but rather rejoicing at their return. It will kill the fatted calf for them...

... or fatted deer, or elk, or bear, or any multitude of fatted beasts of the field and forest using most any reasonable bullet and always with just one well placed shot.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A Remington 700 ADL 30-06 with a 3x9 scope is as boring as it can get. The poor chumps that have used them for years just don't know better. grin

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Its like a decent hammer.
Useful tool, kinda understood most workers would have one.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 160user, 21, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,855
Posts18,478,502
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.