Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

How many generations are you removed from agriculture?

In other words, how far down the family tree do you have to go to find a farmer, rancher, trapper, etc. who made their living from the land?

I am two generations removed.
My fraternal grandparents were crop farmers and latter, dairy farmers.

I attribute many of my values and ethics to my early exposure to that life style and the influence of my parents / grandparents. I am curious about the values, ethics, and lifestyles among hunters and outdoorsmen and wondering if there might be a correlation.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
two

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hmm - my father use to make his living as a tree farmer than moved on - dunno if that counts. Otherwise simply my Grandparents were tree farmers and involved in the evergreen business.

Learned a lot about how to treat people from them and the value of family combined with hard work.

Me

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I harnessed hitched and drove draft horses for a farmer I worked for while I was in high school.

My maternal grandfather never lived in a house with indoor plumbing or electricity. At one time he owned 26 draft horses.

Two generations. His values are a part of me.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Two, but the origional family farms are still owned by the family.

Doc

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Maternal grandparents farmed

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My Dad, brothers and I made our living farming until the late 70's.
When Grandpa passed on, Dad and Uncle sold the farm.Changes in zoning changes, available farm labor and taxes made small family farms harder to hold onto back then.. Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Three generations for me

Both sets of my great-grandparents were farmers. My grandparents transition into industrial jobs in the years following WWII

HBB

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Made a living, or supplamented thier income? My dad still ranches as does my brother. IMO there are very few opperations that can soley make it by farming or ranching. Especially if the land wasn't inherited.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Two. Sure adds a different perspective when you know how to do things for yourself. Father raised his own dairy cows until he could drive and then headed to the city that did not include slopping hogs or dragging a cotton sack.

stumpy

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
depends.........does it have to be direct or can i branch over to uncles? if direct 2, my maternal grandfather raised wheat and cattle till he retired from wheat in 2000(he quite with cattle in the mid 80's). one of my maternal uncles still this does here. another uncle(this one is one of my dads brothers) had an orchard in the Yakama Valley. hell now that i think about it my half brother was running his grandparents farm till just a few years ago mainly doing barley and cattle. i still help out one of my paternal grandfather's brothers during branding season. one of my other great uncles is raising horses.......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
One.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have farmed deer and operated a hunt preserve for 10 years.

My Father was a dairy farmer..........

My Grandfather was a dairy farmer/ Livestock dealer..........

Hunting the "Roar",
Mark Luce

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two for me, My Mother's family operated a large farm in Ireland.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
My grandparents on each side were farmers. I have several uncles and cousins who farm the same land. I've spent a lot of time on each one and worked for one uncle from the time I was 12 to 16.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm one generation outta the cotton fields of the boothill of Missouri.

My grandfather on my dad's side was killed by a 12 guage back in the mid 20's,... details are sketchy,... but he left a woman with 5 sons. My dad was the baby of the family.

All the boys pitched in by pickin' cotton. They lived in a series of abandoned houses for a spell until my grandmother married Mr Bivins,... who, during his younger days had been a hand on the King Ranch.

My dad used to tell me how they kept the house heated during the winter.

The boys would wait alongside the railroad tracks,... then when a train came by they'd all jump on it,.. work their way back to a coal car and throw coal off the side. After a bit they'd jump off then walk back,... pickin' up the coal along the way.

He'd tell me how the boys didn't particularly like Mr Bivins. Apparently, he was a hard ass.

He said that Mr Bivins had an old Dodge,...but when he was headin' into town to get his buzz on he'd ride his horse.

The horse knew the way back. The Dodge didn't.

One night the boys were sittin' on the porch. Mr Bivins had ridden into town to have a few drinks. After a while here he comes along on the horse,... got it gallopin'.

Dad said that there was a little bridge across a creek that led onto their property. A recent flood had left it covered with buckshot mud.

Mr Bivins,.... drunk,.. rounded the bend on the gallopin' horse and headed across the bridge.

The horse hit the mud and all four feet shot out from under him. During the ensuing "ker-plop",.. Mr Bivins caught the saddle pommel right in the belly.

All the boys ran out to check on him.

He was layin' there with the wind knocked out of him makin' these "quack quack" noises.

My dad,.. a little shaver, looks up at my Uncle Harvey, who was the oldest of the bunch at about 15 or so and asks, "Is he gonna die?"

Uncle Harvey says, "Hell,... I don't know,..... and I don't care".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought we were rid of you... wink wink

My late father grew up on a farm in Illinois and went off to college, WWII, then law school. In later life he bought a farm and went broke, farming melons. I bought off a small piece of one of his farms and am now following in his footsteps. crazy

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Can't really say how far removed I am. One of my great-grandfathers on my dad's side was an immigrant, and worked as a hired hand for some homesteaders. His wife was also an immigrant. However, farming/ranching was not his life's work. That's all I know about any of my great-grandparents. None of my grandparents were farmers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a farmer, but I have worked in agriculture since about age 6. First memories are of hauling shocks of wheat to a stationary thrashing machine and cutting tobacco (early 50's. I did row crop work to get through college and have been with extension and agricultural research service since. 1Minute

1Minute
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
None-
I own a farm in eastern Colorado.

It's about 15 miles from where I grew up, and where my father and grandfathers both farmed.

Farming is not my primary means of earning a living, however- my occupation as a petroleum geologist takes care of that.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 63 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.