Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Air compressor relay went out in my truck the other day and bought a new one at NAPA. $18

In the evening I decided it would be good to keep a few spares on hand. Popped into eBay and picked up 5 with pigtails and 10 without for about $25.

Obviously, the eBay ones are made in China.

BUT... does that guarantee that the one I got from NAPA... was NOT BE MADE IN CHINA?

Need some CV axles for my Toyota. Went to RockAuto. $34.87 each. They had some CV axles up to $200 plus

The cheap CV axles arrived and they look fantastic to me.

The $160+ delta is the nature of this post.

What would I be getting for the extra $160?

Pondering buying a used Kioti tractor. Pre DEF 35 hp unit in mint showroom condition. Decided to call a couple of Kioti dealers to see what values they wood place on the machine. Most tractors are out of stock at the moment and the salesman tried to sell me the Branson brand. Lots of talk how Branson makes the John Deere machines and how they are just as good is Kubota and Kioti.

Bottomline, Jacks boot thread got me thinking about what brand you can really trust in 2020.

Does NAPA just repackage a cheap Chinese relay?

The same with CV axles?

I know I used to trust White and Nick boots...

Same with Carhartt and Duluth.

I still trusted Patagonia and Keen as of a year ago, but their politics are wearing me thin.

Believe it or not, I do trust Walmart on dog food, generic oils and lubes and many Great Value canned goods.

I trust Tractor Supply on virtually nothing.

Home Depot yes... and Lowes not so much.

I trust Toyota immensely.

That kind of thing.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Awhile ago I needed a decent home shop vise. Didn't like the looks of the big box store Chinese vises, so I went online and ordered a trusted American brand, Wilton. Decent vise, cost a fair amount more than Home Depot or Lowes. Looked at the box. There in very small print Made in China.

Hard to avoid this sort of thing these days.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pepcid

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Paul39
Awhile ago I needed a decent home shop vise. Didn't like the looks of the big box store Chinese vises, so I went online and ordered a trusted American brand, Wilton. Decent vise, cost a fair amount more than Home Depot or Lowes. Looked at the box. There in very small print Made in China.

Yepp...

Lowe's clearanced out their Bessie line a few years back. 80% off. Bought everything they had. The clamps are good... not great, but the vises SUCK. I HAVE HAD TO REBUILD 3 OF THEM SO FAR. Pure junk gears.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Most auto parts anymore, and probably most anything parts, the only difference is what province in China they were made.
They all pretty much smell of salt water.
I used to trust Wrangler - but they've quit making shirts by size; went to the S,M,L, XL thing, instead of inch sizes.
In an oriental made XL, I look like an orangutan in a circus tent - arms hanging out, and twice the material around the middle than necessary!

Can't trust ANY maker any more!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Jake has an eight inch Pony brand vise, I like it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’m not sure on country of origin. But hand tools made by Klein, Mobil One full synthetic oil and filters are a couple things I don’t deviate from.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Landscaping / gardening / digging tools by W.W. Manufacturing seem good to go. I have abused the crap out of one of their Lesche digging tools for years, prying with it, pounding it through gravel driveways, etc. and it has never bent or broke. All I have to do is sharpen it on a bench grinder occasionally.

http://www.wwmfg.com/default.asp?contentID=1092

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Tikka, coors, Toyota, mystery ranch, hornady, BCM, aimpoint.

In no specific order.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 01/02/21.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Who ever made my heart stent. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kubota is the best and NAPA isn't nearly what it once was.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago I had an 80's something Subaru. It was very reliable but it had a weak spot - the front CV joints. I got VERY good at replacing them. After a couple times, I discovered that Autozone had a lifetime warranty on them. They still went out regularly but it never cost me anything other than an hour's labor. They had a core charge so they probably sent them to Mexico or somewhere to be rebuilt.
I sold the car with over 300k and everything was still working great - other than those axles.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Klein tools

Knipex tools

Wish I could think of more.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Paul39

You damn sure can’t buy what I call a Crescent (adjustable wrench) that is worth a damn or not made in China anymore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Kubota is the best and NAPA isn't nearly what it once was.

Keep an eye on Kubota parts; some of their oil filters are made in China. I've gone to Carquest Premium filters as they are made in the USA by Baldwin or Wix.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Red Wing boots.

------------------------
John
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thank you Bill Clinton.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hornady, RCBS, Tony Llama boots, Carhartt, Kingsford charcoal, Oak Ridge Spices, SWFA SS fixed scopes, Harley Davidson riding jackets - brands I trust without thinking twice on buying if it's something I want.

Me

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My chevy truck was built in Canada, but was finished in Indiana , it had electrical switches that were bad when new worked some times, chevy would not replace them, unless they quit working all the time... found out they were made in mexico. bought new ones made in China. the new ones now have 108.000 miles on them and never missed a lick.. I believe some chinese made auto parts were very good made as they were in compition with Mexico for suppling the automakers with common parts to build autos and trucks on the line..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trust is a strong word...not sure you could name a corporate entity I trust in 2021. Brands I think are less likely to f.uck me over with garbage products or service are;

Toyota
Lie Nielsen
Lee Valley/Veritas
Knipex
SK
Makita
Milwaukee
Carhartt
First Lite
Hornady

Last edited by hillestadj; 01/02/21.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 10 invisible), 1,516 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.