Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Teal
Dont know about boring but I was just at Cabela's.

4 boxes of 30-06 on the shelf, Hornady Outfitter.

42.99 a box of 20.

That my friends is what will fuel a resurgence of reloaders in this country. Lord help you if you like to shoot in volume, have a Wby, and don't reload....

You have a wby and don't reload? Damn, it's because I bought a wby in the 90's that I started loading ammo. I got a hell of a good deal on a nice 300wby, but had no idea what wby ammo cost. Trust me, the reloading equipment was far less money. You must be a doctor or some such schidt...

Some of us didn't take a wtby to reload, we knew what could always happen, and the positives of reloading. Heck some of us started well before out of high school and with a lee loader set and a mallet and are still moving right along.

Though eventually did get a few rounds in wtby chambers.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
It's cousins (270, 280, 308 etc) are never branded boring so why the 30/06?

because of whats ruining Trump. Media.

06 is just fine.

Although I only own a few in Garands and have only shot pigs with it. Its still just fine.

In fact I got excited this year to see a client bring a 308 on a moose hunt. I was far more impressed with his rounds impacts on moose than the latter, and latter had 338 win mag and had as good if not better hits than the 308 client.

Of course I once again came to the conclusion that Partitions are not reliable to me at all. While Barnes continue to be.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm curious. I know this place bashes the 30-06. Does it happen much on other boards?

Most of the 30-06 bashing, and 270 bashing as well, reminds me of high school. It was cool to bash authority, your parents music, old people generally, etc. because teen boys want to be accepted by their peers. Like Chester here. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rost495

06 is just fine.

Although I only own a few in Garands and have only shot pigs with it. Its still just fine.

In fact I got excited this year to see a client bring a 308 on a moose hunt. I was far more impressed with his rounds impacts on moose than the latter, and latter had 338 win mag and had as good if not better hits than the 308 client.

Of course I once again came to the conclusion that Partitions are not reliable to me at all. While Barnes continue to be.

What happened with a Partition on this particular hunt? Care to share the details?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Switch
The horse is beaten!

Yeah, maybe, but not dead.... wink

DF

I've still got 2.............

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just re-barreled my last 30-06 to 7X57, it is no longer boring....... smile

Luckily I still have several 308's to shoot up my .30 cal bullet stash

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Teal

I need a Garand

I don't blame you but be forewarned, you'll want more than one as they are worse than a bag of Lay's!

SD

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
It's a short jump to imagining and designing a lighter and easier to use deer rifle. Which to many, if not most, equals less boring...

Weight and recoil...

Nothing wrong with the 30-06, really.
But it never caused the excitement that the 5.56/.223 does...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Nothing wrong with the 30-06, really.
But it never caused the excitement that the 5.56/.223 does...

After decades of endless '06 articles eventually they had to move on to something else laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's boring to a hobbyist or loony who likes to experiment and has the means to do so. To a guy who wants a serious, dependable killing tool he can rely upon to keep his freezer stocked with meat, boring is good. He's not interested in being entertained.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
It's boring to a hobbyist or loony who likes to experiment and has the means to do so. To a guy who wants a serious, dependable killing tool he can rely upon to keep his freezer stocked with meat, boring is good. He's not interested in being entertained.

Name a bottlenecked centerfire cartridge, introduced since 1930, and larger than .20 caliber that might fail substantially in that regard?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Name a bottlenecked centerfire cartridge, introduced since 1930, and larger than .20 caliber that might fail substantially in that regard?

Hmm. 22 TCM and 5.7x28 come to mind. They would likely work, but I doubt a majority would consider them "a serious, dependable killing tool" for hunting what a guy would use a 30-06 for.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
........Aside from its wonderful all around capabilities it is too common and too generic........

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

06 is just fine.

What happened with a Partition on this particular hunt? Care to share the details?

Ok. 308 Win. 168 Barnes TTSX. Shots around 125 yards or so. Low through heart and leg meat. Pass through. Moose don't realize they are dead. We decide to take another shot. Same distance basically. Enters rear of lungs, exits through shoulder meat and part of scapula. Pass through. Moose still not aware of death. Third shot enters shoulder meat, exits center of neck, pass through bang flop.

Move onward. 338 Win Mag. 250 partition. Pretty slow. Range just under 100 yards. First shot broadside centers both lungs, just at the crease of the leg. Caught a hair of shoulder meat, no bone other than rib. Moose is sick. But moves off a bit. Still standing so lets do it again. This hit is about 5 inches from first, basically same perfect placement. No exit on either shot. In fact neither of the 250s even made it to ding the inside of the ribs on the off side. Guessing they were both in the off side lungs somewhere. Normally I dig but lets just say it was a super long day and even longer night working on getting him back to camp which was complete by about 9am the next morning. I didn't dig.

JB told me once on an issue with NP on small whitetail and 300 mag that the 180 was NOT a mag bullet, but the 200 was. I'd be impressed with that bullet. But Barnes was around and figuring out how to shoot them and then along came the TSX and the TTSX and between them and a few bergers here and there I'm good. Not a nosler in the household anymore other than some old 6mm partitions been here for years.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by brydan
...After decades of endless '06 articles eventually they had to move on to something else laugh

I guess this will happen to the 6.5CM then. Endless Creedmoor articles have been happening for a while.

I wonder what the next big thing will be?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

06 is just fine.

Ok. 308 Win. 168 Barnes TTSX. Shots around 125 yards or so. Low through heart and leg meat. Pass through. Moose don't realize they are dead. We decide to take another shot. Same distance basically. Enters rear of lungs, exits through shoulder meat and part of scapula. Pass through. Moose still not aware of death. Third shot enters shoulder meat, exits center of neck, pass through bang flop.

Move onward. 338 Win Mag. 250 partition. Pretty slow. Range just under 100 yards. First shot broadside centers both lungs, just at the crease of the leg. Caught a hair of shoulder meat, no bone other than rib. Moose is sick. But moves off a bit. Still standing so lets do it again. This hit is about 5 inches from first, basically same perfect placement. No exit on either shot. In fact neither of the 250s even made it to ding the inside of the ribs on the off side. Guessing they were both in the off side lungs somewhere. Normally I dig but lets just say it was a super long day and even longer night working on getting him back to camp which was complete by about 9am the next morning. I didn't dig.

JB told me once on an issue with NP on small whitetail and 300 mag that the 180 was NOT a mag bullet, but the 200 was. I'd be impressed with that bullet. But Barnes was around and figuring out how to shoot them and then along came the TSX and the TTSX and between them and a few bergers here and there I'm good. Not a nosler in the household anymore other than some old 6mm partitions been here for years.

Wow. I'm just as surprised that all three Barnes exited as I am that neither Partition did. Thanks for typing that up!

Some years ago during a rodeo with a big muley buck, my brother shot him in the ass as he was hobbling away at about 400 yards with a 200 gr Partition out of a 300 SAUM. When I was gutting that buck, I discovered that the Partition didn't make it out of the guts, so then we started measuring and digging. It penetrated 14-15" tops. Not what I would have expected.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Not many, and that's the point. Part of the hobby is arguing minutia. grin

In the end, boringness is subjective and determined by application. A 30-06 doesn't make for a very good 13-stripe ground squirrel rifle. But it might prove entertaining!

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

06 is just fine.

I have never witnessed a partition penetrate as well as a TTSX or TSX

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I bought my son a 30-06 when he turned 14 and loaded it with110 grain bullets. Well today I bought my first 30-06. Figured I'd stimulate the economy with a new Kimber Montana.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

Don't you think this is comparing oranges to apples? 168 grain .308 Barnes to 250 grain .338 Partition?

I've shot a lot of big game with the 180 grain .308 caliber Partition. Never had a failure or problem. Only recovered one bullet. All 1-shot kills except for one caribou that I flinched on.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.