Originally Posted by iskra
With high probability of same generic era steels used, seems strange "if to intentionally" subject Argies to differing heat treating results!
John

Remember, that each contract to supply battle rifles was initiated by the Country that was making the purchase. Those countries in turn provided specifications for their rifles. Among other specifications, this often included the steel used and other considerations.

All receivers of this era were heat treated using similar methods but the actual specifications were dependent upon both the caliber and contract specifications.

The 1908 Brazilian produced in the same factory but for the 7x57 cartridge. The receivers being equal to the 1909 in fit and finish however subjected to less exacting care than the 1909's thus finding themselves used for custom builds less often due to condition. Nonetheless, the 1908 also exhibiting setback in some examples.

Never heard of any other SA receivers with setback? Well, I guess that's where having had the benefit of rebarreling hundreds of Mausers, I have seen it in various models, SA other than Argentine included. The worst was a Steyr 1912 that exhibited pocketing of .012". Now John, this will blow your mind, it passed a headspaace check with a nogo gage. I remachined the lug seats, had the action hardened, installed a take off Husqvarna M146 barrel rechambered in 9,3x62 and that sweet little rifle would drive tacks!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by z1r; 01/11/21.