Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a few rifles and scopes. Some are Leupolds and I like them when they are zeroed. None of mine have ever adjusted right. Which is ridiculous, they should move the amount the turrets indicate. I have had 2 fail. Sent one back and they fixed it. Have another old one that failed this year I plan to return. Not really in the market for new guns and scopes but if I decide to buy another scope I will look at other brands first.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by spence1875
Originally Posted by battue

No one is questioning the Mark 6 or Mark 8 tracking, they are built hell stout and heavy as heck, also for their price tag they had better track well.

No doubt, but most here want to compare their mid range leupold to the high end Nightforce, March, SB, etc, etc... So if they want apple to apples then they need to do exactly that...

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

While interesting, an experiment like that doesn't actually test what's most important when it comes to mechanical scope function: RTZ, repeatability, zero retention, erector/reticle alignment, straight tracking, and uniform click increments. If the click increments differ from advertised but are consistent, that can easily be corrected using a modern ballistic solver.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

No one is questioning the Mark 6 or Mark 8 tracking...

False.

wink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

No one is questioning the Mark 6 or Mark 8 tracking, they are built hell stout and heavy as heck, also for their price tag they had better track well.

No doubt, but most here want to compare their mid range leupold to the high end Nightforce, March, SB, etc, etc... So if they want apple to apples then they need to do exactly that...

Or a mid-range SS, like the 3-9x42HD.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve been done with Leupold for a while now, it’s not even a brand I consider when scoping a new rifle. Shooting is so much more fun and confidence inspiring since I started using aiming devices that actually work as advertised.

I do miss the tapping of both ends of the erector tube after each adjustment to help the scope settle in to the adjustment, I thought for years that was a mandatory action when adjusting windage and elevation on a rifle scope. Lol

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Yeah last i checked those are $599.00...My VX3i 2.5-8x36 I bought 2 weeks ago from Midway was $334.00 and $379.00 will buy you a VXi 3.5-10x40 so that still aint hardly apples to apples......Hb

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am just the messenger here. you can see for yourself just how little holds that turret adjustment assembly on. can't be blamed on funky C clamps or other stuff people make fun of me about. there is 2 dinky threads that are tasked with holding pressure on the erector which is spring loaded. AND it has to also hold enough down pressure on the seals to maintain gas and water seal. as for leupold tracking watch these videos,

brian Litz tests a fixed power leupold by chooting it and finds about 4% error. remember more than 1% IMO is a fail. but remember leupold came on this board and basically said all of us were full of it on scope tracking.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 01/04/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well a SS didn’t make the cut to be in that tactical scope test...but the point was with apple to apple, in that top of the line comparative test, Leupold scored higher than the Campfire Nightforce favorites.

Seems it shouldn’t be hard to acknowledge an obvious credit where credit is due...yet some have a hard time doing so...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
MTH:

I've read and heard the "lighter is better as its less inertia" argument from Leupold for years. And I believed it and spread it as justification myself for some time. But, after dancing the "Leupold shuffle" for years whilst trying to get them sighted in with adjustments that were inconsistent and didn't match the purported POI shift, and then having several of their scopes that were built with exposed turrets meant to be twisted go wonky within a couple hundred shots while other, only slightly heavier scopes from other companies keep right on working as they should, I can no longer give that assertion/marketing rhetoric much credence.

And while I do still have quite a few Leupolds in service in set it and forget it capacities, it doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling to know that they might not hold up too well to being turned on too often, even if I don't intend to do so with them.

I'm not disappointed at all that others haven't had issues with their Gold Rings; I hope their luck holds. Further, I sincerely hope that Leopold is someday soon known as a premier scope in terms of tracking, RTZ, and holding zero; I'll be happy to be buying and recommending them again. They are an American company with a strong manufacturing presence and a great track record of CS. Ultimately, stronger competition is much better for the consumer.

Last edited by Starbuck; 01/04/21.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Yeah last i checked those are $599.00...My VX3i 2.5-8x36 I bought 2 weeks ago from Midway was $334.00 and $379.00 will buy you a VXi 3.5-10x40 so that still aint hardly apples to apples......Hb

Well they’re $450 on sale, but even the $299 SS 6x and 10x stack up rather favourably against those Leups when considering what really counts. The whole argument “mid-range Leup versus $2k NF isn’t fair” gets repeated around here quite a bit, but the fact is that those mid-range Leups don’t do so well either against some scopes that sell for less.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah I agree that Leupold mid-range scope's dont track for chit and your right its preposterous to compare them to $1000+ Nightforce scopes, these are two different animals anyway, a Nightforce scope is built much heavier and more robust than the lightweight, sleek Leupold mid-price range hunting scopes......Hb

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

You will save the difference in price on ammo used to sight it in

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
[/quote]

You will save the difference in price on ammo used to sight it in
[/quote] 😂😂......Hb

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Starbuck, would you clarify what, in your opinion the weight in ounces of "only slightly heavier scopes" is? If that might be 25 to 30 percent of the scopes weight, that is quite a bit more than "slightly heavier". Just curious about that. RJ

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I for one use leupold scopes for everything.. doorstops,paper weights, hammers,propping open windows,stirring paint and have never had a failure . That being said just to inject some humor..
leupold has provided a lot of enjoyment for shooters for a lot of years.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah I agree that Leupold mid-range scope's dont track for chit and your right its preposterous to compare them to $1000+ Nightforce scopes, these are two different animals anyway, a Nightforce scope is built much heavier and more robust than the lightweight, sleek Leupold mid-price range hunting scopes......Hb

That scope in the first video above isn’t midrange in price. Unless 2 grand is midrange to you

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a movie about American executives following the same path to coast along on former reputations while cheapening quality. Looks like Remington is eager to share their name with the history of Winchester, Remington, Oldsmobile, Mercury, Pontiac, etc.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If this test had gone the other way....to some here it would have been definitive, empirical and conclusive proof Leupold can't run with the big boys...Since it didn't the excuses come out...funny that.

I have about 20 Leupolds and never had a problem getting any one of them sighted in...I know, I don't shoot enough or I wouldn't have 20....

Have to admit a recent SB was an easy sight in also....But hey, why not just tell it like it is rather than making excuses up...

Then again, around 100 Deer have went down by Leupold....As of now the SB none....No reason for me to trust it yet....But that would be an internet BS excuse, so ignore it....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
can't be blamed on funky C clamps or other stuff people make fun of me about.

You really should take your C Clamp testing, write some articles with pics that get published...you already have the pics...and see if any outside of here make fun of it....

Last edited by battue; 01/05/21.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 19rabbit52, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 3,050 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,313
Posts18,526,294
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.