Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks! I do love nice .22s. That sporter is my favorite.

I am not hurting for a new hunting rifle.. My favorite is a Win 1894 saddle ring carbine in 32 win spc from 1909. It has its dings and a great patina. It oozes soul and history. I love hunting with it. If the weather isnt great, I use an early Contender with a 10" 357 Herrett barrel. A 1st gen Colt Woodsman for small game.

I havent kept any safe queens. I do get enjoyment from using them. I think my issue is that someone kept this unfired and as new for 51 years, and I cant imagine seeing another one like it. She is over the hill and seems a shame to deflower her now. Lol.

HR IC

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Ive been in a similar situation several times, and have always decided to take it hunting. The joy it brings to me is worth the cost in depreciation.

And if you do hunt with it until the end, it will probably still be worth what you paid for it. Scuffs and all.

Another factor to consider is the type of hunting that you do. A stand hunter won't usually put a lot of wear and tear on a rifle each year, while a stalker or mountain hunter may add quite a bit.

Maybe it's your bluebird day stand rifle. It's fun to have something nice to look at when the animals aren't cooperating smile

Last edited by WhelenAway; 01/07/21.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Unless you need the money why do anything at this point, it's a long time until hunting season. Give yourself time to think about, once it is used then the decision is irreversible, in a few months or years you may decide what you really want to do with it and you will have given yourself enough time to make (hopefully) the right decision.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It has a lot of appeal.
When you go to your local rifle range. just put it in the gun rack when you go to the restroom and it will be gone when you get back. Problem solved.

Last edited by StrayDog; 01/07/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You were blessed with this rifle, you should count your blessings and use it.

Be thankful.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

T
T
Go and shoot the cowboy hell out of it.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If its the "one" youve always wanted im also in the camp of using it. Let it bring you joy and happiness every you look down at it in your hands when you handle it.

Ive got some exquisite leverguns and an beautiful old Rigby 416 Mauser. Yes sir i use them

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Tough decision. Good luck with that! I'm too poor to ever so much as think about buying something so nice, so my problem kind of solves itself. Ironically my Grendel AR is probably my most expensive gun (all items are mid-high tier). I am inclined to favor preservation or "special tag" / ceremonial use only. Though I appreciate the artistry of firearms they are tools after all.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Rambler214

I havent kept any safe queens. I do get enjoyment from using them. I think my issue is that someone kept this unfired and as new for 51 years, and I cant imagine seeing another one like it. She is over the hill and seems a shame to deflower her now. Lol.

This sounds like a vaginal issue !!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are male deflower ASAP

if you are female sell and shade your eyes.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Someday, you'll leave it to a child or grandchild. It'll mean more to them if their grandpa used it and it has some hunting stories to go with it.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have one, I hunt with it. It was meant to be hunted with.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]carolina beach restaurants

Last edited by hanco; 01/08/21.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
In todays market prices are crazy.... If you got it for a very good price, but are hesitant to hunt with it., sell it for a profit, and buy a couple other things. We have all done that.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
IMO there isn’t a Remington 700 out there that has any true collector value. Some might be nicer than others, but they are all utilitarian hunting rifles. Now if it had some historical or famous hand engravings, or made for an influential historical figure maybe, but that rifle??? Shoot it and enjoy it. When your done with it, maybe it will have some honest use marks on it, but it will be a good, well cared for rifle that was used as intended.

Now if you aren’t going to enjoy using it, sell it to some sucker that thinks it’s exceptionally unique and charge them accordingly....then pick up something you will enjoy using. JMO.

Shoot straight, shoot often
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
When I first got my Rem 700 mtn rifle back in 1990 it came in with the most beautiful wood I'd ever seen. The gunshop owner and another fella were there and both offered me a profit if I would let one of them have it. I declined but later at home I went crazy for a few days trying to work up the courage to scope it and shoot it. If it shot mediocre I'd offer it back,but it shot as good as it looked. The first time hunting with it I was nervous, till I tagged out. The first time I was caught in the rain I fretted over its cleaning like a new parent. 62 head of game later (whitetail, mulies, antelope) as well as a few varmints for myself, wife, kids,nephews, and once a brother, I can tell you hunt with it. It will come to have its own name, it will be desired by all who get to use it, and it will become your friend. Sitting on stand with it now I often talk to it. We have both gotten silver gray around the muzzle together and it's no longer a tool, it's my companion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
Crazy talk....... shoot it, hunt it and enjoy it, that's what it was made for. When you are sitting on stand you can admire the wood.

THIS

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had a great friend who had a beautiful custom rifle built on a Springfield action. It was a tremendous sacrifice at the time for him as he had gone through a devastating divorce. It really was something special. He carried it to the stand in a soft case to protect it. But he still hunted it! He killed some amazing deer with that rifle. His grandson now owns it and the pictures of his grandfather’s trophies.
Hunt the rifle. Take every precaution you need to feel comfortable to
take it afield but hunt it.
GreggH

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Beautiful rifle! I only own one rifle that was sort of a “dream rifle” instead of just a tool. I know it would be “worth more” to someone else if it was unfired and in the box, but not to me. I lay it on a towel on the bench at the range. I don’t usually worry about stuff like that. It is pretty but I have found I enjoy it more when I look at it across my lap in a tree stand or the deer woods rather than in the gun safe. I don’t take it if I need to drag a rifle through a thicket. I have plenty of hunts where the chances of beating up a rifle are pretty slim. It isn’t my primary hunting rifle but I have killed a couple of deer with it and plan to use it in the future as well. That is when I enjoy it most.

Ultimately, I think you have to decide how you would enjoy it most.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Shoot it. You planned on using it till you die then passing it along. You are gonna be dead for a loooooong time, might as well enjoy it before then. After that you wont regret maybe scratching it a little...

You live once, who deserves it more?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took all my “too pretty to hunt” kimbers and sold them and got into either ugly wood rifles or stainless synthetic guns.

I’m currently rebarrelling and restocking my first rifle, a savage 110 in 270. Never liked the round, stock was drilled off center barrel contacted one side and the other side had a gap that gravel would get stuck in, trigger was 7# with a 1/4” or creep... you get the idea.

It was given to me by my grandfather who won it in a $5 raffle. So I really couldn’t get rid of it. So I’m rebarrelling it to 35 whelen and putting it in a B&C stock. Make it something I wanna take in the field!!!

If It can’t be used for whatever reason I don’t want it in my
Safe.

Last edited by Mjduct; 01/08/21.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by hikerbum
In todays market prices are crazy.... If you got it for a very good price, but are hesitant to hunt with it., sell it for a profit, and buy a couple other things. We have all done that.

This had something to do with my hesitation. IMO I got it for a great price. A buddy at work already offered me double for it, and they have been selling online for a good bit more than that yet. I could make a tidy profit on it, but man, I already know I would rather have it than a little extra cash.

But there has been some terrific advice and insight on here. I love it. I am planning on keeping it. Probably breaking it out in the summer for some range time, and using it for fair weather hunts. We rough it pretty good on our big hunting trips and the weather gets real nasty so I may be waiting on bringing it to camp. Or maybe not!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 49 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,510
Posts18,490,768
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.