Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wife and I just finished #50 of elk jerky after a dandy season and I would like to be able to keep some jerky out of the freezer to avoid the taste and texture the freezer can add.

My thoughts are to try dry canning by loading jars that are pre heated to 250ish and sealing while hot.

Anyone do this? Anyone have any other or better storage tips for non refrigerated long term storage?

All meat is whole muscle elk.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jerky? Jerky is dried meat. No need to freeze or can.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm hoping to carry some into next elk season which could be up to a year.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Jerky will mold if you don’t freeze it. What about just buying the packets that take the air out like jerky comes in from the store?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by high_country_
Wife and I just finished #50 of elk jerky after a dandy season and I would like to be able to keep some jerky out of the freezer to avoid the taste and texture the freezer can add.

My thoughts are to try dry canning by loading jars that are pre heated to 250ish and sealing while hot.

Anyone do this? Anyone have any other or better storage tips for non refrigerated long term storage?

Thanks.

I'd try vac-packing it, always had mold issues without keeping dried meats frozen long term.

It seems to work for all those companies selling jerky in the stores.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm hoping to carry some into next elk season which could be up to a year.

Then make pemmican out of it. Pemmican is good for decades.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
a year is a long time. i store mine in paper lunch bags in the frig for a few months. maybe vac pak as someone said.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA

Thanks.

I'd try vac-packing it, always had mold issues without keeping dried meats frozen long term.

It seems to work for all those companies selling jerky in the stores.

This.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A poor man's vacuum pack is a quality ziplock bag and a soda straw. It's surprising how much air you can get out with your mouth.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I threw my vac machine into the fireplace after hitting it with a hammer and pissing on it. That thing worked not so well for me.

Thats why I was considering the Mason jars. My wife is pissed because we can't put a bag of peas in the freezer after 3 elk this year, so I'm trying to buy some space.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Mine never lasts a year. Too many samplers checking the quality.
The prepers might have some insight into dry storage of meat.
Curious in hearing your results.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Mine never lasts a year. Too many samplers checking the quality.
The prepers might have some insight into dry storage of meat.
Curious in hearing your results.

I hear you. We bought a commercial dehydrator and that thing changed the way we eat. It does 12 pounds every 5 hours.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I threw my vac machine into the fireplace after hitting it with a hammer and pissing on it. That thing worked not so well for me.

Thats why I was considering the Mason jars. My wife is pissed because we can't put a bag of peas in the freezer after 3 elk this year, so I'm trying to buy some space.

That had to stink.

What about storing in a tub of salt?

Isn’t that what the “old timers” did? Salt meat.

Being dehydrated it shouldn’t draw in salt. Just keep mold off.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My jerky molds after thawing it out? Take it out of bag leave at room temp but moisture seems to build up and mold in a week or two

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Esox357
My jerky molds after thawing it out? Take it out of bag leave at room temp but moisture seems to build up and mold in a week or two

The mold is already on it then.

What off you store your ziplocks in a sealed plastic container under bags of rice or dried beans?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thought there was some kind of vacuum sealer for canning jars used in storing dried beans and grains
Seems like it was a hand held vac pump that sucked the air out of the jar and force the seal down in place for long term food storage. I am sure of it ,was a article in the "Backwoodsmen " magazine. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For long term storage, moisture is the enemy.
If it's molding up, it's because it has enough moisture to mold up.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Vacuum seal in 1 lb and freeze. Without a commercial preservation method you will loose it all without freezing.

Canning will reduce it to mush.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I would think a 5 minute cook may bring some piece of mind-

“Despite its extreme potency, botulinum toxin is easily destroyed. Heating to an internal temperature of 85°C for at least 5 minutes will decontaminate affected food or drink. All foods suspected of contamination should be promptly removed from potential consumers and submitted to public health authorities for testing.”

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Don't confuse what I'm considering with canning. I'm thinking:

take dry jerky and drop it in a 250* jar and set a lid. When it cools, it should be under vacuum unless the temp comes up over 250.

It's worked for my morel stash.....but I've never tried jerky.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.