Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mozilla (Firefox) has very recently advocated deplatforming any group or application allowing Trump to communicate for what that's worth.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
Mozilla (Firefox) has very recently advocated deplatforming any group or application allowing Trump to communicate for what that's worth.

JFC

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Excellent information. Im not very computer savvy but would like some advice on what my options might be. Currently I use gmail and have for a long time. I run my own business so its on our website, magazine adds and numerous other places. Changing it on the website would be easy, but the other places would pose some real problems. Is there some way to have gmail forward messages to say Proton ? I have switched to Dissenter and duck duck go, but would love to ditch all the commie tech companies.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yukon254
Excellent information. Im not very computer savvy but would like some advice on what my options might be. Currently I use gmail and have for a long time. I run my own business so its on our website, magazine adds and numerous other places. Changing it on the website would be easy, but the other places would pose some real problems. Is there some way to have gmail forward messages to say Proton ? I have switched to Dissenter and duck duck go, but would love to ditch all the commie tech companies.

There lies the big issue with sticking it to these companies. Let's take Facebook for instance. I had like 100 friends on there. My inner circle of family and friends know how to find me but when I pulled the plug, that's it. A lot of people hate Facebook but don't want to cut off all those people. So they put up with unacceptable behavior so they can have the social media crack. This is just my own opinion, but I think in times like these and what may come, it's important to think hard about who you can trust and who is really important to you. All those other 2nd and 3rd level associations imo are just social clutter in my life that needs to take a back seat to acting on principles. If I really wanted to find one of those "friends" on Facebook because I'm visiting that part of the country or whatever, I can find them through another avenue.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good info, thanks Jake. I’ve been using Opera for several years but I need to look into tightening up on the email.
I closed my never used Twitter account and seldom used Instagram yesterday, so I got that going for me.
This site is pretty much my social media.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I took a closer look at the Signal Messenger app specs. The way they do things, even the people at Signal would not be able to view or listen to your messages or calls. They also claim, no ads, no tracking, no logging of any of your correspondence and no selling or sharing of any of your information. The minimum information for an account appears to be a phone number. And it's free.

In a bitter twist of irony, probably because it's a dated endorsement, one of there quotes on the web site for how good the product is was from Jack Dorsey, dipschit CEO of Twitter. Probably how he and his commie friends communicate securely.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FyI iridium lists a "portable version download now

Edit.
This may mean you put it in a thumb drive and go from computer to computer.
They say "The Imodium portable version works out of the box. We recommend to create a shortcut using the (--user-data-dir=/IridiumUserData) configuration option to store the user data to a preferred location (like a USB stick, etc.)"

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 01/10/21.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Would be a good thread to keep live made a sticky.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

Edit.
They say "The Imodium portable version works out of the box. We recommend to create a shortcut using the (--user-data-dir=/IridiumUserData) configuration option to store the user data to a preferred location (like a USB stick, etc.)"

Imodium???
I’ll be steering clear of that one.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Edit.

Imodium???

LOL

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackbrush

This prompted me to give the Brave browser a try and it kicks FireFox's ass for speed and resource.

I pretty much figure everything is being seen but Mozillas statement pissed me off and I do like the Brave much better.

Maybe it's less monitored but how would I know?

Damn sure faster.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JB,

Thanks for the post & info dump.

I have a couple of questions:

1. If using ProtonMail, how secure is it if the recipient is not using it also?

2. I'm using Epic Browser with a VPN that lest you move around the world to different servers & I know it works for various websites as they have not been able to track me & when I check my IP location, it's where Epic says I am....................do you have any knowledge about Epic & comments, good or bad?

Thanks,

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Edit.

Imodium???

Sorry auto correct telling us what it thinks of MSM news I'm afraid.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Great info. Top

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for posting this! Given recent events, this should probably be a sticky.

What are your thought on Tor?

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by lostleader
Would be a good thread to keep live made a sticky.

Agreed, especially as things morph over time.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good stuff, Jake and many thanks.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Originally Posted by yukon254

There lies the big issue with sticking it to these companies. Let's take Facebook for instance. I had like 100 friends on there. My inner circle of family and friends know how to find me but when I pulled the plug, that's it. A lot of people hate Facebook but don't want to cut off all those people. So they put up with unacceptable behavior so they can have the social media crack. This is just my own opinion, but I think in times like these and what may come, it's important to think hard about who you can trust and who is really important to you. All those other 2nd and 3rd level associations imo are just social clutter in my life that needs to take a back seat to acting on principles. If I really wanted to find one of those "friends" on Facebook because I'm visiting that part of the country or whatever, I can find them through another avenue.

I have no issue with ditching facebook, my issue is if I change my email from gmail to another email like one of the ones you mentioned, then all of the advertising we have out there will have the wrong email address on it. Is there anyway to fix that ?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 444afic
Thanks for posting this! Given recent events, this should probably be a sticky.

What are your thought on Tor?

Tor + VPN is probably about as good as most people can do. Check the details of the VPN though to make sure it works with Tor.

Just another bit of info on VPNs...

In case people are saying WTF is a VPN? It's a virtual private network. Oh great, much clearer. Okay, it's an encrypted tunnel from your device to a server on the Internet. Everything that gets transferred between those points cannot be spied upon. There are two types of VPNs, a device level VPN and a browser extension basically. If your browser has a built-in VPN, that means the traffic going from your BROWSER to that endpoint server online is all encrypted. If you have a device level VPN, like a standalone app that is separate from the browser, it will encrypt traffic going from the COMPUTER to that endpoint server online, which would also include the browser traffic. But it covers everything else leaving the computer as well. That's one of the reason I was using the Opera browser with it's built-in VPN and went with the ProtonVPN mentioned in the OP. The latter is a standalone app. Just something to consider.

A VPN is not 100% security though. Yes everything going from your computer to the VPN endpoint server is secure. But what about from there to the destination web site? Yep, it open again. So a VPN cannot protect your from yourself if you go to stupid web sites. So why even use a VPN then? Well, everything from you to the VPN endpoint will be hidden and that may be something that's important to you. Even your ISP that handles all your Internet access cannot see it. Or what if you are "in the wild" like at an airport WIFI hotspot or something like that? Then it's important because it secures the Internet entryway traffic.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Etoh
Big ++++++++ on Signal

Signal is about as secure as a common guy can get right now I think.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 2500HD, 1973cb450, 16 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,053
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.