Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

Yeah I have toyed with the idea of stripping most of Google off my Android phone. I use so few apps it wouldn't be hard. But I do use a multifactor authentication tool for secure access to my work network. And that tool will not work on a rooted phone.

No need to root using adb. Depends on how much google you want to remove. Its android, you can only remove so much before it just doesnt work anymore. So many services tied to certain apps.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Using a VPN, does that show up as an IP address in some other location? Or will it just route info/requests for location to my ISP and known location?

A VPN is like an encrypted tunnel to a proxy address. Think of all the traffic of all the people using the VPN as funneling through one server online, or one of a handful. So all those people will be masquerading as if they originated from that server address. You may live in Texas and you look like you're in Maine or Canada.

Thanks, but do they always switch around where your location appears or will it always go where the VPN company is? I mean, if it could always show me as in TX but never in CA I'd be happy.

And it sucks your multifactor deal won't work on a "rooted phone".

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bump for good information

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by pahick

I hate bloatware and apps I never use. Besides, most of the apps, even though theyre not in use, "call home" ...A LOT! On my home network I run pihole to block a lot of BS. But...its a never ending task to block most of these intrusive companies.

This is the main reason I don't have a phone. You never really own the damn thing. The vast majority of people have no idea what the thing is doing and who it is communicating with.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I hooked up to the internet when it was still fairly young. Hardly anybody had a web page back then and the few bulletin boards were very basic.

Now look at what it is. People have to take precautions to keep it from complicating their lives.

And it all happened so incredibly fast. Imagine how much will change in the next 10-20 years.

The future will see 2 changes which will make things much worse from a privacy standpoint.

AI (artificial intelligence) will explode. It will be used to replace human decisions, and it will be used to profile you as an individual down to a fine degree.AI will allow the people who control it to know more about you than you thought possible. It will be misused. Guaranteed.

The Internet of Things will became much more real. This is the idea that many normally mundane things are connected to the internet. DON'T connect stuff to the internet just because you can. Just don't.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Be bit careful on your assumptions - once you get a “token” (security SSL thing like a cookie) on the browser / Device it pretty much identifies the “USER INTERFACE” and the “USER”.. regardless of where you connect.

the Front end of the service (what is giving you that webpage, and or the firewall at the gateway to the resources on the application provider network) actually looks at device / interface level... vs. just what IP your are on. There are actually more ways to tell where you are like the Wi-if address your on identifies where you are at as well...

That’s why you have to re-authenticate when you hit a bank from a different compute -each computer has it’s own ID / Token.

VPN wise - there are encrypted VPN’s, and “NON-encrypted”... a VPN only extends the network IP addresses from one network the other - so your home computer can have an IP network address from work - BUT like I said, your machine tokens ‘ Cookies will still carry your ID if you used them on your IP network.

BTW - you guys ever watch the Snowden stuff ?

smile

Using a VPN, does that show up as an IP address in some other location? Or will it just route info/requests for location to my ISP and known location?

A VPN is like an encrypted tunnel to a proxy address. Think of all the traffic of all the people using the VPN as funneling through one server online, or one of a handful. So all those people will be masquerading as if they originated from that server address. You may live in Texas and you look like you're in Maine or Canada.

Thanks, but do they always switch around where your location appears or will it always go where the VPN company is? I mean, if it could always show me as in TX but never in CA I'd be happy.

And it sucks your multifactor deal won't work on a "rooted phone".

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I work in IT as well. Best I have read in a while. Especially this :

"Get rid of Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, Google, and Microsoft logons. If you need an explanation of why at this point, please do yourself a favor and start a thread calling Travis a homo and enjoy that for a while. "

Me. I deal with IT security every day at work. I'm also a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP). There are also other members that have similar background that I'm sure can speak their minds as well. I think Roger was asking in another thread about options for communicating securely. If you still want to stay online and have a smart phone, there are some suggestions that have been made by members. I'll just add my 2 cents here. Take it for what it's worth...

Get rid of Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, Google, and Microsoft logons. If you need an explanation of why at this point, please do yourself a favor and start a thread calling Travis a homo and enjoy that for a while.

For me, getting rid of Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo and Microsoft logons was easy, I just ripped the Band-Aid off. Google is more complicated. My Gmail account is all over the place online. I need to scrub all my online accounts. Cancel all the ones that are stupid to keep, and then change my account email address for the rest. If you have an android phone, it's difficult to use without a Google account and still use the core services or fetch apps off the Google play store for instance. It isn't impossible but it would required way more expertise than many have. But you can go into your Google account details and turn off a bunch of features like location history, search history etc. Yeah they probably can dig that off their servers but it would take effort.

I am going to a secure email address and account. An organization called protonmail is out of Switzerland. It's secure, encrypted email, they don't have ads, and they don't keep logs of email. They claim that even they cannot read your email. They also have a real VPN app (not just a proxy server) that does end to end encryption from your device to the VPN server. That makes it impossible for your ISP to watch your activities. Both the email and the VPN have free options, without ads and without logging and with full encryption. The paid accounts offer more features and bandwidth like being able to secure multiple devices simultaneously, having multiple email alias accounts, more load balancing across multiple servers, more email storage, more bandwidth etc. They only make money if someone gets a paid account so you may want to consider that. As an example, I got a paid email and VPN bundle deal on Black Friday for $8/ month called their "plus" plan. I can try and find a link to that if anyone is interested if it's still active on their web site.

For a messenger, a lot of people use Facebook messenger. Again, at this point- stupid. Some folks use a messenger called Whatsapp. Well, Facebook bought them, so still stupid. I am researching a secure messenger called "Signal", which is open source, not owned by any of the douche bag tech companies, and offers end to end encryption. That's all I know for now. If anyone is interested in that as an option, I will check it out and reply to the thread. The challenging thing about a messenger, is that whoever you communicate with will likely need the same app or the end to end encryption is moot and you might as well just shout your secrets out the window at rush hour.

For online searches, please do not use Google, Yahoo, or Bing anymore. Some have suggested they use Duckduckgo. That's better but not best imo. Yes, you are not using the Google servers for your searches. But as OP mentioned in another thread, Duckduckgo does use an archive of Google's search database. Google may not be tracking your searches in real time, but the search results may be optimized by their AI algorithms to give you targeted results that THEY want to give people to steer humans' thinking in a certain direction. For example, if you were to search on "corrupt politicians", Google's AI may give you a bunch of targeted results referring to Trump first, instead of Biden or Hilary etc. And that bias may be archived in what Duckduckgo uses. As someone mentioned in another thread, I use Qwant for a search engine which is out of France.

Bottom line, when looking for ways to securely communicate online, there is no perfect solution, but some simple changes can make you a lot more obscure. When looking at secure email, messengers and search engines, it's sad to say but I tend to look at options under the European Union security laws. Their privacy laws are much more strict than ours in the States. Our tech companies are in on the agenda and they are in bed with some very bad people.

Take care and welcome to Amerika comrads.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thank you Jake and others. I'm trying Brave right now, working out bugs. I'll probably try Opera too then decide which I'll keep. But Firefox will be gone!

BTW, I also use Thunderbird, is there an alternative to that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been using protonmail and their VPN for over a year. Some sites, like Brownells, detect foreign addresses and block access or refer you to their foreign sites. If a site won’t let you in, you can switch to a U.S. server for that site, or switch it off temporarily.

Gunbroker suspended my account when I signed in over the VPN. Not sure if it they detected the VPN or just the foreign IP address, but they didn’t like it and said the use of fake IP addresses was forboten on their site.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Pap,

Watching what IP you sign in on is the lowest level of security.... most of the encryption occurs once you hit the site, and then log in ...

Many of us on the fire are current or past IT admins, Engineers, hell some of us wrote the specifications that CISSP’s (security pro’s) are trying to evoke... yet others designed the security systems themselves a couple of decades ago until they now.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tag for reference

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whichever way you harden, stay ready to reconfigure, swap stuff in and out, adjust to threat, and generally keep your knees loose.
Thank you Jake the Missileleer for this thread.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For folks looking at desktop browser options, as I mentioned elsewhere in the thread, give Iridium a try. It's a Chrome spin off like many others, was built from the ground up for security, and it's probably got the smallest overhead of similar browsers. It loads the Campfire faster than all the browsers I have tried. I would add the Ublock Origin ad blocker extension to keep those at bay. Ublock probably has the least overhead of ad blockers too. It does not have a browser level VPN, so you would have to add one if you wanted to go that route. But for basic security and performance out of the box, you probably won't find better. It also comes with Qwant as the default search engine and has all the pointers to Google services disabled if that matters to you.

https://iridiumbrowser.de

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Jake, Do you have or know of a list of the steps necessary to shut down FB properly and de-fang their intrusions / stealing of your data?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Jake, Do you have or know of a list of the steps necessary to shut down FB properly and de-fang their intrusions / stealing of your data?

I can't tell you the exact steps because I can longer get in LOL. But somewhere in the account settings there is a deactivate option and you should be given an option to either deactivate for 30 days or to completely delete. I just choose the delete option. I assume they have all your correspondence archived somewhere even if you delete, but at least they won't have information on you going forward.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I can't tell you the exact steps because I can longer get in LOL. But somewhere in the account settings there is a deactivate option and you should be given an option to either deactivate for 30 days or to completely delete. I just choose the delete option. I assume they have all your correspondence archived somewhere even if you delete, but at least they won't have information on you going forward.

If you're persistent enough in the account settings and dig around you'll run into an area just as Jake mentioned. While it wouldn't let me "full delete" it did allow me to deactivate and as long as I didn't attempt a log in for 30 days it would then delete my account. As Jake said they have your original account information archived somewhere I'm sure but you can't do anything about that, only the future smile

BTW, I did this on NOV 4 when I was proven right about FB, twatter, etc. I assume/hope it's still that easy to unplug

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MARCEL

If you're persistent enough in the account settings and dig around you'll run into an area just as Jake mentioned. While it wouldn't let me "full delete" it did allow me to deactivate and as long as I didn't attempt a log in for 30 days it would then delete my account. As Jake said they have your original account information archived somewhere I'm sure but you can't do anything about that, only the future smile

BTW, I did this on NOV 4 when I was proven right about FB, twatter, etc. I assume/hope it's still that easy to unplug

Thanks, fellas. I remember one time a while back, I tried to delete certain personal information and if they didn't "allow" that. Lol

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FB keeps all your data. You can be officially "quit" of FB, come back months later, and everything is still there.

FB does offer an interface for deleting posts, likes, etc. Deleting even a weeks worth of stuff would be a pain that few are willing to undertake.
However, some enterprising individual could likely write a script that could march through all the material and interact with the interface and eventually delete all of it. It wouldn't totally eliminate the data, it would still be on backups, but it would sure make it a PITA to do so. No nobodies outside FB would be able to go snooping for stuff. Since it would execute from your desktop and interact with your browser, I believe it would be very difficult for them to block. It would simply look like a very quick, determined user clicking.

I wrote a similar app years ago, one that clicked on every link in a webpage and iterated down several layers in each of those, so it is possible.

Last edited by Tyrone; 01/11/21.

Politics is War by Other Means
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
For general information, Opera Browser is now owned by the Chinese.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Thank you Jake and others. I'm trying Brave right now, working out bugs. I'll probably try Opera too then decide which I'll keep. But Firefox will be gone!

BTW, I also use Thunderbird, is there an alternative to that?

If you are on Windows I can't help you. If you are on Linux this email client is much simpler than Thunderbird, but does the job well enough.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution

Thunderbird is a monster piece of software and unnecessarily so IMO.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

284 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 32 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,540
Posts18,531,171
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.