Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Are you talking about the Immigration issue???

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
y'all should give formosan termites a try.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As far as the big snakes in Florida go,simple solution...Put an open season on em.

Did you say termites!YUM...

Last edited by Aardvark; 07/26/07.

/^\__/^\
((*) (*))
``(oo) ``
(V\/v\/V)

--AARDVARK--
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Nobody has mentioned fire ants and killer bees so I will. Neither are as bad as the horror stories but they are bad enough.

Chinese Tallow trees. Those things will take a place if you don't mow or spray regular.

BCR

Here in the west, Russian Olive trees........Communist trees grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Canadian Thistle--been fighting that stuff my entire life......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buckthorn is a big problem in Minnesota.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Burned up? Geesh, the list of invasive species in Florida reaches from Key West to somewhere up near Alberta probably....and that doesn't include illegal aliens. sick

Plants, animals, snakes, etc, etc...flippin' F&G has even stocked some in So. Florida. I do not, and never will understand why this stuff is allowed into the country. If you just gotta have one of "them" in your life, move to wherever they live. If you want to research it, get your passport current and go...elsewhere.

Our latest rage here on the Gulf Coast is Australian Jellyfish; their favorite menu item is juvenile fry of snapper and grouper.....

I'm gonna go puke...thanks for bringin' this up. sick

There are credible reports that Pythons are not the worst of it out in the 'Glades. My understanding is that a viable colony of kraits is living down there as well...but it's probably not politically correct to bring that up from an official perspective. mad

Last edited by DigitalDan; 07/26/07.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well wish me luck!!!!!! I am sure everyone knows about the rains here and the flooding causing fences to be washed out----well guess what??? Exotic game and even elk are running around at the ranch. Looks like a July elk hunt will be in order this weekend along with anything else that looks tasty!!! Hope I see a tasty one---will be taking the 300 Slowpoke and the 338 Lapua AI for those big boys. Never know when a hog will be coming out either because now that the heat is on and some of the water drying up the tanks and low spots look like the USMC has been practicing amphibious landings!!

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hog? Did you say Hog? laugh

Have gun, will travel.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i have listened to very specific presentations from Univ. personnel and they say we can "slow" the rate of infiltration through numerous methods, mostly with herbicides and hardlabor.

but their view is it can't be stopped.

Get that? it can't be stopped, but only slowed down. but we have an obligation to slow it down, possibly to near zero.

we can do it though volunteerism, hardlabor, and gov't funding.

how much can we slow it down? how hard are we willing to work?

Last edited by Gus; 07/26/07.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss
Well wish me luck!!!!!! I am sure everyone knows about the rains here and the flooding causing fences to be washed out----well guess what??? Exotic game and even elk are running around at the ranch. Looks like a July elk hunt will be in order this weekend along with anything else that looks tasty!!! Hope I see a tasty one---will be taking the 300 Slowpoke and the 338 Lapua AI for those big boys. Never know when a hog will be coming out either because now that the heat is on and some of the water drying up the tanks and low spots look like the USMC has been practicing amphibious landings!!

Need any help....I can be there for you........

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup,

............MS 13,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
varroe mites! they suck!

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
New hunting season? Maybe? that would at least thin them down some. We have started getting wild hogs in Kansas, the witldlife and parks office said that, no we weren't, until last year when they aknowledged that land ownwers or thier designees can kill them to control crop deprivation. They also deny that we have Cougars here, but I have seen two in twenty years and the tracks of several more. I am waiting to have one come close while I am armed, maybe to a varment call. But since they do not exist in Kansas I won't need a tag for one.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Try that in Michigan bd1 and tey will charge you anyways, just because it ain't listed doesn't mean you can shoot it. frown Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Plants, animals, snakes, etc, etc...flippin' F&G has even stocked some in So. Florida.

Historically, some of the worst purveyors of non-native species are state wildlife agencies........

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I doubt if there are many memebers here old enough to remember the most devastating invasive species to hit the eastern U.S.
Chryphonectria parisitica, commonly known as Chestnut blight, is a fungus of asian origin that was introduced into the U.S. in the early 20th century (first reported case was in New York, NY in 1904). By 1940 it had wiped out the American chestnut, an important mast producer and commercial timber tree that had comprised as much as 25% of the standing volume of timber in eastern hardwood forests. Very few people of my generation will ever have the oportunity of seeing a mature American chestnut, or to eat the chestnuts they produce (supposedly much better in taste the the European chestnuts that most are familiar with). A long list of imported tree pathogens and pests has followed:

Ink disease, a root rot fungus that actually preceded Chestnut blight. A fungus that travels in groud water, it attacks the root systems of trees of nearly every species. A major pathogen in the south east in areas with a high water table, causes hundreds of thousands of dollars of losses annually in seedling orchards throughout the south east.

Dutch elm disease, has nearly destroyed the American elm, once an important over-story species in eastern forests and a popular shade tree for yards and parks.

Butternut canker. Attacks and girdles butternut (White walnut) a valuable timber and mast producing tree.

Beech bark disease complex. A combination of an exotic fungus, carried by an exotic boring beetle. Currently killing large numbers of American beech in the eastern U.S.

Dogwood athracnosis. Currently killing large numbers of Dogwoods in the eastern U.S.

Hemlock wooly adelig(sp??). Currently killing large numbers of Hemlock in the north eastern U.S.

White pine blister rust. Currently killing large numbers of White pine, an important timber tree and mast producer in the inter-mountain west.

Gypsy moth. Major pest in eastern hardwood forests. Causing major deforestation in some areas, adversley effecting watersheds, fisheries, and timber values. Became established in the U.S. when a dipsh!t entemologist released four of them at the end of the 19th century.

Emerald ash borer. Boring beetle of asian origin. Killing large numbers of ash trees in the great lakes region.

Chestnut gall wasp. European import that lays eggs under the bark of branches of chestnuts, causing large galls that kill the branch. Will be a major factor in limiting the recovery of the American chestnut.

Sudden oak death syndrome. Finally identified as a phytopthora fungus (similar to Ink disease. Has killed large numbers of oaks in California. Originated in nurseries for ornamental shrubs on the west coast. Contaminated shrubs have been shipped nation wide.

It just gives you a warm fuzzy feeling all over, don't it? frown

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The white pine desease is hard on bears too, as that is their major summer food in the Yallerstone area. Some of those mountains have huge swatchs of dead pines. I didn't know there were any chestnut trees left in america. Used to be a major constituent of eastern forests. Made good barns.

Mule
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
There are a very few American chestnut that are surviving to maturity, although most are heavily scarred by blight cankers.
There was also a small population in Wisconsin, outside of the American chestnut's native range, that had been planted in the late 1800's. These trees had been doing well, and had actually escaped cultivation and were taking over the neighboring wood lots (sort of becoming an invasive species themselves), but Chestnut blight has finally made it into this population as well. I don't know if any of the mature trees are left now.

As far as impacts on wildlife, it is now generally accepted that the extinction of the Passenger pigeon is more closly linked to the loss of chestnuts as a food source than to the ever popular scapegoat of "over-hunting".

ego operor non tutela
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Love bugs.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,452
Posts18,528,906
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.