same in society.. So I guess God in his genius went
and made it even harder for folks by giving the word
a new and different meaning just for the struggling
literacy Bible folk.. šŸ˜‚

Romans 8:29 and 8:30
Greek text analysis and Strongs Concordance
show 'predestination' is rather straighforward
and how we normally understand it.

I know and have known some folks that believe in predestination in the sense that God chooses who he will save and that's it. Nothing you can do about it. That doesn't comport with common sense. As far as what paul said in Romans, he is a nut case, that contradicted Jesus, John the Baptist, Old Testament law, you name it, he took the other side. When Jonah was dispatched to Nineveh (an enemy city) against his will they were under sentence of destruction. This was headed off by repentance and outward evidence of said repentance. Mind you, this was a Jewish prophet sent to an unfriendly gentile city. The city was spared as was Nebuchadnezzar in another instance illustrating a gentile accepting salvation through repentance. Jesus did not ever explicitly endorse predestination. Getting back to repentance, I have to wonder if Judas Iscariot received salvation. He certainly repented evidenced by returning his bribe money and being distressed enough to hang himself. Pilate is claimed to have repented and is honored as a saint. Why don't you drop your guard just a little and check out Jesus? I recommend a site named Jesuswordsonly. It won't hurt to look, you can always just say no.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
GB1

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Predestination? Goodbye freedom:

''Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, '' Ephesians 1:4-5

''The Lord has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble. '' Proverbs 16:4

''Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him.'' Ephesians 1:4

''And all who dwell on earth will worship it, everyone whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain. '' Revelation 13:8

ā€œBefore I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.ā€ Jeremiah 1:5

''To do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place.'' Acts 4:28

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
.. Getting back to repentance I have to wonder if Judas Iscariot received salvation. He certainly repented evidenced by returning his bribe money and being distressed enough to hang himself.

Remorse/gulit some say is not the same
as repentance... ie; one can acknowledge
ones wrong doing, but have you sincerely
committed to changed your ways?

You see nothing can be simple/straighforward
for christians , coz there are those that need to
put some twisted arcane word wizardry def.
to millenia old ordinary everyday things...coz
apparently God puts special meaning on them
just for christians to decifer!

Originally Posted by Hastings
Jesus did not ever explicitly endorse predestination..

How would you know?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Predestination.
Free Will.

It may be that a good starting point for considering the crossroad of these two issues is to figure out what the state of manā€™s will is in a fallen world. Is the Will fully free or is it somehow restricted or confined? Do physical, mental, spiritual constraints exist that define, restrict or contain the Will?

If limited, what do those limits mean concerning the inclination, ability, desire, etc., of the Will?

If fully free and unrestricted or unrestrained why do we find limitations on the Will?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Will is confined by the underlying process the forms it, the underlying neural information processing activity milliseconds prior to conscious expression of thought, will and decision making.

We do not consciously form our thoughts, desires, fears or will.

Will is not the master of the mind or decision making.

It is the brain that generates both conscious and unconscious mind.

No brain activity, no mind, no consciousness, no you.

Last edited by DBT; 01/16/21.
IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
While you address neurological function or process do you consider nurture and environment to set constraints on or influence the will in any way?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffP
What I wonder is why people who donā€™t believe in a creator, why they feel the need to always come on a thread like this and keep crowing about it.
ā€˜Cause they canā€™t stand it that you, as a believer, choose to believe something that they donā€™t want you to believe. They canā€™t stand it that you, as a believer, choose to believe in something that they donā€™t believe in. And they try to camouflage that truth with ā€œI see no evidence of...ā€ or ā€œIf itā€™s true it should be provable...ā€ or ā€œSeparating fact from fiction...ā€ type statements. They are clearly WAY more bothered by what you, as a believer, choose to believe...than you are bothered by what they, as unbelievers, choose not to believe.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IZH27
While you address neurological function or process do you consider nurture and environment to set constraints on or influence the will in any way?

Of course. We are not separate from our environment. Our environment shapes us, language, values, outlook.....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Predestination? Goodbye freedom:

''Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, '' Ephesians 1:4-5

''The Lord has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble. '' Proverbs 16:4

''Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him.'' Ephesians 1:4

''And all who dwell on earth will worship it, everyone whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain. '' Revelation 13:8

ā€œBefore I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.ā€ Jeremiah 1:5

''To do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place.'' Acts 4:28

So, you can do a Bible search. Now go on and do a search of ā€œfree will.ā€ Post the results.

Your one sided view of predestination will be shown to be intellectually biased to the point of being simply dishonest.

The tax collector said: ā€œLord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.ā€ Jesus said he went home ā€œjustified.ā€

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Amen

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I wonder how many Israelites cursed Moses in their flight to the Red Sea.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Can we change the title to "Meeting of the Minds."

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Well, that was pretty early in their departure.

So I'd say any negativity they conveyed didn't compare to the next forty fugkin' years.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Well, that was pretty early in their departure.

So I'd say any negativity they conveyed didn't compare to the next forty fugkin' years.

LOL

You got that right, Col.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Can we change the title to "Meeting of the Minds."

LOL

Of course. Many mind with you in the meeting. grin

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by JeffP
What I wonder is why people who donā€™t believe in a creator, why they feel the need to always come on a thread like this and keep crowing about it.
ā€˜Cause they canā€™t stand it that you, as a believer, choose to believe something that they donā€™t want you to believe. They canā€™t stand it that you, as a believer, choose to believe in something that they donā€™t believe in. And they try to camouflage that truth with ā€œI see no evidence of...ā€ or ā€œIf itā€™s true it should be provable...ā€ or ā€œSeparating fact from fiction...ā€ type statements. They are clearly WAY more bothered by what you, as a believer, choose to believe...then you are bothered by what they, as unbelievers, choose not to believe.

Thatā€™s why I say they should question their own world views, using the same metric as they use against others. They may be surprised .

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim1611
We still need the old testament though.
The Old Testament scriptures didnā€™t become the first part of the Christian Bible, first. Early Jesus followers, ā€˜notā€™ the Jews themselves, saw that they pointed to the Messiah, who they recognized and believed to be Jesus. But Jesusā€™ followers are NOT required to follow the Old Covenant. Those Law keepers thought they were living holy lives if they just obeyed all 630 something rules in the Law. Jesus Himself disagreed, and pointed out that those Law keepers found enough loopholes to obey all those rules in the Law and ā€˜stillā€™ be wicked and greedy (Matthew 23:23-28). He stressed that obedience to God involved intentions and attitudes (ā€˜the heartā€™) rather than strict adherence to the rituals and rules in the Law. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, and Romans ā€˜allā€™ said that Jesus fulfilled the Law...His sacrifice on the cross ended forever the Old Covenant. Peter, James (Jesusā€™ brother), Barnabas, and Paul...at the Council of Jerusalem...all agreed that NOTHING was required of Gentile followers of Jesus except faith in Him, and they were NOT bound by the Law. Jesusā€™ own teachings, along with the Council of Jerusalem, and other teachings in the New Testament scriptures make it crystal clear that Jesusā€™ followers are NOT required to follow the Old Covenant.

There are those to this day that ā€˜stillā€™ insist, and would have you believe, that salvation is obtained by keeping the Law, and good works...rather than by Godā€™s grace.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
They are clearly WAY more bothered by what you, as a believer, choose to believe...than you are bothered by what they, as unbelievers, choose not to believe.

Hilarious!
Considering Christianity has a global mission/
agenda to convert mankind's beliefs ,. Why can't
they just leave mankind alone?..I mean if God
really wants them he can find and guide them, surely?

Instead you have an army of self appointed
God botherers with the deluded idea that they
have divine authority to brainwash folks for
their own good... and they got the moitivation
after reading some bronze age mythology.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
GRACE is the ONLY THING.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Starman][/quote]
It's so unfortunate that you were predestined to be damned. You seem very bitter about it.

Politics is War by Other Means
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (1lesfox, 1936M71, 257 mag, 160user, 2500HD, 21, 28 invisible), 12,352 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,232
Posts18,544,173
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.