Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I have right-foot soreness at times.

I walk/hike in my Zamberlan boots about 35 miles per week, and my feet feel fine.

I have these Salomon hiking shoes:
https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/x-ultra-3-gtxr.html#color=10098

I can’t walk long distances in them without my right foot feeling like it’s broken. It’s probably because of the thinness of the sole. I even put a good extra insole in them, but that doesn’t help for some reason.

As an aside, a couple of hears ago, I started mostly going on long, 5-mile, hikes/walks everyday for lower-body exercise. Up until then, I loved the Salomon hiking boots, but they all start squeaking once I put over 60-90 miles on them or so. And that drives me crazy. So, I’ve already bought my last Salomon.

Wow that sucks! I was going to order them. Really dont wanna go over that price point tho. I might order them anyhow and keep searching. Im done with Merrell, definitely no Columbias unless for just around camp. Appreciate the info.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pahick, if I didn't have some unknown to me condition that gives me right-root soreness, those shoes likely would would be fine. I don't know if they will start squeaking for you or not. My Salomon hiking boots were, by far, my favorites until they all eventually started squeaking.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I bought Keen Targhee EXP and have enjoyed them immensely. We do a lot of flat ground walking and some crusty terrain hiking. I’ve had very good luck w these. Wore Merrill’s for years but they’ve been in a downward spiral quality wise for me. Check them out.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check out the Altra lone peaks.

Someone on here told me about them. They get good reviews.

They are a flat shoe. I forget their marketing term.

Zero drop or something.

They do t have a wide model. But the standard width has a wide toe area.

I wear 12ee and the 12’s fit me fine.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gkt5450
I bought Keen Targhee EXP and have enjoyed them immensely. We do a lot of flat ground walking and some crusty terrain hiking. I’ve had very good luck w these. Wore Merrill’s for years but they’ve been in a downward spiral quality wise for me. Check them out.

Thanks ill look them up.

IC B2

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Check out the Altra lone peaks.

Someone on here told me about them. They get good reviews.

They are a flat shoe. I forget their marketing term.

Zero drop or something.

They do t have a wide model. But the standard width has a wide toe area.

I wear 12ee and the 12’s fit me fine.

I looked at them a bit ago. Theres a guy that has a store in Westminster, MD just over the border from where im at. Come to find out my buddy who owns a sports shop runs and bikes with him. He has a video on the Lone Peaks. Im not sure theyre for me, they dont seem as rugged as others ive looked at, but im gonna talk to my buddy and then stop down at Runmoore. Thanks!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If your forefoot is narrow, the Altras aren't for you. Also, it takes a while to transition to zero drop, many people complain of achilles pain when doing so. Another thing with Altra's is that in my experience, they don't last very long. The Salomon's will likely work for you. You might also check out the Topo line of shoes.

https://www.topoathletic.com/

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Another altra vote.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by gkt5450

I wear these at work, hunting, hiking, and even jogging. I have to use inserts because they are a little flat for my feet. But I have them in a couple heights. I wore a pair on duty for 3 years.

Last edited by Gooch_McGrundle; 01/17/21.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I wore Salomons for a long time but have switched to the Altra Lone Peaks. That webbed foot toe box works for me as does the zero drop. The Stoneguard works better than any shoe on rocky trails and the traction is excellent My running shoes become town shoes after 6 months and I have yet to experience a blowout in my Altras or Salomons. I would call the Lone Peaks a high volume shoe and their lace system allow me to wear a thin sock or a light wool sock depending on conditions. Great shoes for some but everyone is different.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I wore Salomons for a long time but have switched to the Altra Lone Peaks. That webbed foot toe box works for me as does the zero drop. The Stoneguard works better than any shoe on rocky trails and the traction is excellent My running shoes become town shoes after 6 months and I have yet to experience a blowout in my Altras or Salomons. I would call the Lone Peaks a high volume shoe and their lace system allow me to wear a thin sock or a light wool sock depending on conditions. Great shoes for some but everyone is different.

mike r

Mike:

How many running miles do you get on the Lone Peaks before they become town shoes. I was on the Altra website and it looks as if they are closing out the 4.5. I'd like to try them, but will wait for the Lone Peaks 5. I've worn New Balance of one type or another for 40 years, but they no longer seem to suit my feet.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I am required to wear boots for work outdoors, which can mean anything from mid-height Merrell Moabs to mountaineering boots and mid-calf logger boots. I have had good luck with Moabs, although my last pair wore out much more quickly than previous ones. I know several guys who have had good luck with Salomons and they recommend them to me.

I like Moabs because they aren't that heavy and they are available without waterproofing/goretex, which just makes my feet sweaty. Waterproof Salomons make my feet sweat just trying them on in the store, but that goes for any shoe with a waterproof lining.

But if I could, I would just wear running shoes in the woods.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by logger
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Mike:

How many running miles do you get on the Lone Peaks before they become town shoes. I was on the Altra website and it looks as if they are closing out the 4.5. I'd like to try them, but will wait for the Lone Peaks 5. I've worn New Balance of one type or another for 40 years, but they no longer seem to suit my feet.

I average about 40 miles/week, 70% of which is hiking speed. I mostly run on the flats and downhills where the footing is decent. This old frame doesn't need another wreck. I have had 1 pair of 3.5s and am on my 2nd pair of 4.0s I hope they don't screw up the 5.0. I liked Salomons but every model seemed to get a narrower toe box, The Altras are truly a different type of shoe and they really suit me for most of what I do that does not involve deep snow.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been really pleased with the Salomon Speedcross series. In fact new pair of the Speedcross 5’s arrived at my hotel today

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,169
Posts18,484,568
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.