Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Fuelman
Wouldn't mind if you Texas guys would send a few live pigs to PA, I'd love to have more freezer fillers,lol. Have spent hours, sometimes days, in the mountains, just to see a feathered predator or tree rat.

You do not want pigs, took this a few minutes ago. We had to build fences to keep them off the ball fields. There is 25 or more in this sounder.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 03/03/21.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sure looks like a great trip, I need to get out on a pig hunt sometime

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Idk, I think PA hunters could keep them in check. I mean the only thing our state is overrun with are Democrats, which may be a problem for most states. Then again, the PA State Game Commission would probably be able to screw hog hunting up along with most everything else.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Fuelman
Idk, I think PA hunters could keep them in check. I mean the only thing our state is overrun with are Democrats, which may be a problem for most states. Then again, the PA State Game Commission would probably be able to screw hog hunting up along with most everything else.

No way to keep pigs in check, if you have a 100, you have to kill 66 yearly to break even. That is impossible to do. They reproduce rapidly.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Turkey Tx is about 70 miles SSW of me. I live in Wellington TX. When I was looking at those pictures I thought you had to not be too far from me. Very unique vegetation and landforms around here that I know well. Then I saw the picture of the sign for Turkey and it confirmed it for me. Anyways, lots of good pigs down in that area, lots of pigs in general.

West Texas has always been a very nebulous term. Ask 10 people and none of them will say exactly the same thing. High Plains is up on top of the Caprock, Rolling Plains is down off the Cap. Turkey is Rolling Plains just like us. Don't matter what you call it though, I call it home and love it here.

We do a lot of pig stalking at night and coyote calling. I have a Hogster R35 I use on my backup gun for my kids, and I use it as a spotter a lot. My main shooting thermal is a Thermion XQ50. I have lots of friends with all kinds of thermal. Hogsters, Super Hogsters, all kinds of Pulsars, Trijicons, whatever. Personally I don't feel like the Hogster gives up a whole bunch to the $4000 and below Pulsars. I have used both a lot in the same conditions. Hogster is more pixellated for sure, and does not handle zoom near as well. But it handles high humidity very well. On nights with really crappy thermal conditions it sees nearly as good as my Thermion. I feel the Hogster is very capable on pigs and coyotes out to 200-250 yards. I can ID pigs out to 400 yards with mine. Does it give up some to a Super or some of the Pulsars? Yeah, but not that much. Really get used to it and play with settings, and it is plenty capable.

Much of that has to do with getting your settings right, and then getting a lot of experience looking through thermal at distances you know. Across the street from my house we have goats, donkeys, cows, all kinds of stuff at ranges from 75 to 400+ yards. Sitting in my front yard playing with the thermal helped a lot estimating range. Getting out and stalking helps a lot too. Find some pigs and make a guess on range. Then take a certain number of steps, count them, and see what it looks like. Before long you start getting the hang of it. Much of thermal ID is based on behavior and not shape anyways, at least until you start getting under 200-250. Groups of animals are easier to ID than individuals with no scale around them.

Just curious, were you on a paid hunt or a hunt with someone you know from there?

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
No way does anyone want to import pigs. You might think you do, but you don't. They are the most destructive creatures I know.

No kind of hunting can compete with the reproductive capability of pigs. Not even aerial gunning in open country. Look at this video I took last weekend and wrap your mind around that number of babies. Then realize they will have that many again in 8-9 months at the latest (possible in 6 months). And that half of those babies can start having their own litters in 6-12 months.

https://youtu.be/qG4TbA3mEiw

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
You guys who deal with them are more than likely right. PA just isn't a target rich environment. I know you have to pay to play, but the prices to kill an,"unwanted, over populated pest," seem on the steep side.

R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

Thanks for your input on Texas and on thermals. I realized that I just have to get out more and practice at night .I passed on quite a few shots that I later learned I should have taken. Get used to the magnification at night. The pigs were sure a lot more comfortable in the dark in the open fields.

It was with a local I know and paid trespass fees.

I ran into a kid at a gas station north of Turkey that runs thermal pig night hunts in your area. He said he had a lot of the ranches leased up.

Beautiful country you live in and great folks.

Originally Posted by JTPinTX
Turkey Tx is about 70 miles SSW of me. I live in Wellington TX. When I was looking at those pictures I thought you had to not be too far from me. Very unique vegetation and landforms around here that I know well. Then I saw the picture of the sign for Turkey and it confirmed it for me. Anyways, lots of good pigs down in that area, lots of pigs in general.

West Texas has always been a very nebulous term. Ask 10 people and none of them will say exactly the same thing. High Plains is up on top of the Caprock, Rolling Plains is down off the Cap. Turkey is Rolling Plains just like us. Don't matter what you call it though, I call it home and love it here.

We do a lot of pig stalking at night and coyote calling. I have a Hogster R35 I use on my backup gun for my kids, and I use it as a spotter a lot. My main shooting thermal is a Thermion XQ50. I have lots of friends with all kinds of thermal. Hogsters, Super Hogsters, all kinds of Pulsars, Trijicons, whatever. Personally I don't feel like the Hogster gives up a whole bunch to the $4000 and below Pulsars. I have used both a lot in the same conditions. Hogster is more pixellated for sure, and does not handle zoom near as well. But it handles high humidity very well. On nights with really crappy thermal conditions it sees nearly as good as my Thermion. I feel the Hogster is very capable on pigs and coyotes out to 200-250 yards. I can ID pigs out to 400 yards with mine. Does it give up some to a Super or some of the Pulsars? Yeah, but not that much. Really get used to it and play with settings, and it is plenty capable.

Much of that has to do with getting your settings right, and then getting a lot of experience looking through thermal at distances you know. Across the street from my house we have goats, donkeys, cows, all kinds of stuff at ranges from 75 to 400+ yards. Sitting in my front yard playing with the thermal helped a lot estimating range. Getting out and stalking helps a lot too. Find some pigs and make a guess on range. Then take a certain number of steps, count them, and see what it looks like. Before long you start getting the hang of it. Much of thermal ID is based on behavior and not shape anyways, at least until you start getting under 200-250. Groups of animals are easier to ID than individuals with no scale around them.

Just curious, were you on a paid hunt or a hunt with someone you know from there?

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Really nice pics, thanks

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thank you. If you get out this way again give a holler.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,272
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.