Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I don't regret walking away from that beautiful young girl 40 years ago that all she had to offer were looks. crazy

There are women with looks and brains.

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Marrying my wife and having 2 fantastic children.

Started to read the bible at 50. Better late then never.

Going to college. Waited 4 years after high school.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Giving my Dad a 222 Remington he always wanted but wouldn't buy. He & Mom moved to northern WY and after seeing all the P-dogs there I found what he wanted. He gave it back to me just before he passed in April. He used it hard judging by all the dings and copper fouling.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I DON'T regret spending the last 2 years caring for my dad through his dementia! It was a blessing my siblings will never get to experience as they had little to do with dad. Dad passed on Monday morning at the age of 88 years old. The 15th of next month would have his and mom's 67th wedding anniversary. Dad was an electrician for 42 years before retiring and as a kid worked on dairy farms in NE Wisconsin. He was 5'-7" and about 175 pounds, I'm 6'-4" and about 240, I used to stand over him and call him shorty, he'd reply I might be short and skinny, but so is dynamite! LOL! He was a character and my mentor, started me hunting over 50 years ago, see ya dad!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7
One thing I don't regret, was at 18 years old, I told my boss, at my $4.00/hr lumber yard job, that I was leaving to go see my Grandpa in the hospital because he went into a coma.

He yelled at me and told me that if he's in a coma, he won't know you're there anyway! After a heated discussion, I told him I'm leaving and I don't care what you say.

See, I used to take care of my grandparents yard as a youth and me and Grandpa always played "mercy" (where you lock fingers and try to bend the others backwards until they say mercy).

Being an old farmer that thrashed, He ALWAYS won but said he wanted to see how strong I was getting. He chuckled the whole time while I was trying my hardest.

Anyway, I got to the hospital where the family was sitting around crying because they knew it was close to the end. They said he was gone but still breathing.

I went up and grabbed my Grandpa's hand and told him I was there. He squeezed my hand so hard my fingers turned white. I could hear his chuckle even though he couldn't make it physically.

The family saw this and he passed shortly after.

I'm SO glad I wasn't too intimidated by my boss to not leave that day.

Good for you buddy. My dad taught me to always bust my ass at work, no matter the pay. But he also taught me that family is more important than any job. You did the right thing by a long shot.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Thanks Certifiable. That makes me feel good.

The thing with Grandpa though, his eyes gave out, his ears gave out, his knees gave out and he was pretty much confined to sitting in a chair.

But the one thing that didn't give out were those old farmer hands. I was in football, Tae Kwon Do and lifted weights. Even after all that, that man would just laugh at me when we played mercy.

They were tough. They needed to be. They'd be laughing at all these pussies and their complaining about minimal schit these days. They are the Greatest Generation for a reason.

Camp is where you make it.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Allowing Lord Jesus into my life, that had everything to finding my lovely wife.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I loved living in Alaska for 35+ years. But never once regretted moving to Tennessee almost 5 years ago. I do however regret the wife and I didn't move out to the bush in Alaska and live that lifestyle for at least a few years.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't regret Marrying the gal I married (Bad choice on her part)
I don't regret spending 3 years taking care of my mom, a lot of memories were made in those 3 years.

There are a lot more.......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Walking back into church in 2007. I’ve done more to help others in the past 13 years than I did in the previous 35. A LOT more!

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I forgot to mention that Grandpa milked cows as well. That probably explains the stronger than average hands.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Dropped everything in February to take care of my dad. He passed on February 28th. I've been with my mom ever since... Stage 4 plus pancreatic cancer since October 2019... her day is coming soon.

I will have zero regrets... and then I will get back to the other things I was doing before.

P.S. 24HC has been a phenomenal distraction... I think I would have gone out of my gourd without the community to laugh with... and the commies to fugh with.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A life lived with few regrets is a great life.

A life lived with no regrets is perfection.

My life has had many regrets, but I hope to add no more.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Joining the Army in 1965 and volunteering for Vietnam after graduating from OCS.

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Going into O’Reilly with a mask on

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Eloping... and avoiding the wedding circus between my controlling father and her uncompromising mother.

Still together 29 years later.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My great grandfather took me under his wing when I was young. A hell of a man, veteran, county sheriff, blacksmith. Took me fishing, built whatever I wanted in his wood shop, gave me my first 22, and a long list of many things. We weren't even related by blood, but that didn't matter. When I was about 22, I went back to my hometown to hook up with my buddies for some BS, ended up visiting with him instead. A thunderstorm rolled through and we lost electricity. We sat in the dark for an hour or more, not talking a lot, but that didn't matter much. Never found my buddies that night. I'll always be glad I saw him that summer, He died soon after while I was gone to the Colorado mountains on my motorcycle, no cell phones then, I didn't find out for over a week. Thanks for jogging my memory, Rooster. God Bless

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have often thought myself a selfish man for choosing to live where I do.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Moving to Colorado in 77 & buying a 30/06

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool story Rooster, thanks.

Things I don't regret.

I quit a good paying job at 20 years old, $3.10 an hour when min wage was about $1.85 Boss wouldn't give me a 5-6 week leave of absence to leave SoCal, take a bus to WA, spend 8 or so days crossing the Olympics from Quinalt to the Elwah drainage, then busing and ferrying over and spending a week climbing Mt Rainier after a record snowfall year. As the Wonderland trail was still mostly snow covered we bused south to Tahoe, went in at the Desolation Wilderness, and hiked another week+ down the John Muir trail (No Pac Crest at the time). What doesn't kill one makes one tough, right? Postholing in the drifts with a 45-50lb pack over the pass in the Olympics, being lowered into a crevasse on Rainier, surviving 60mph windstorms, lightning storms that required pulling the center pole out and tossing it out on the glacier, freezing rain, whiteout blizzard, igloos melting on a down bag when the storm passed in the night, helping drag a guy down to the lodge after he tore his knee up in a snowbank, such fun should not be allowed.

Surfing, boogie boarding, and body surfing for years. ( I sure miss it here in the desert)
Learning to scuba dive in cold water, made diving in nice places that much nicer.
My college education and career afterwards. I worked with cool animals in cool (and extremely hot!) places. Sometimes with cool people too, but I'm not a fan of most folks.
Meeting and marrying my wife...............mostly........some days though eek
Being a dog person, I've had a bunch of wonderful ones.
A weeks vacation in Hawai'i. on the Big Island. If rich I'd move there.
Being a partyer when younger...............worked it all out before I was too wore out to enjoy the rest of life.
Having a taste for "exotic" foods, or ethnic, or more than meat and taters if you will.

Rooster, nice of you to start a good thread about things other than politics and the crap going on in the world today.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,147
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.