Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Some of the early '03s under S/N 800,000 were rebarreled and used in WWII.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Gnnoah is right and can't reiterate it enough
I do a lot of gunshows allways some asswipe trying to pedal a low number 03 either springfield or rock island for big money . Hatcher's Notebook is the best refererence , as a shooter the low #'s are a major risk. A guy I know had his low number immaculate Sedgley sporter come apart like a bomb at a cast.bullet shoot awhile back.
The brittle receiver shattered. He sustained minor injuries and luckily no one adjacent to him was injured. I have and shoot all my springfields but do NOT have any 03's less than 875,000 serial number wise or rock islands under 280, 000 serial range. Hatchers Notebook is the best reference on that factual history of the 1903 Springfield , if you want to own and enjoy using a Springfield get one there is no doubts about not one some bubba that says bullshit I know more than Gen Hatcher did. Magnum bob

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 01/25/21.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by model70man

They were held in emergency reserve and not used.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There is at least one major facility not far from where I live that flat out bans the firing of low number 03's on their firing line, as that was where one let go a few years ago.

Sedgleys, as beautiful as they are, are a real crap-shoot. You don't know if you're getting a low or high number gun as they, in their infinite wisdom, obliterated the serial numbers on most of them. On top of that, Sedgley claimed to have a process whereby they could safely re-heat treat low number rifles making them safe. Kind of a P.T.Barnum-like claim, as due to the low carbon primitive alloy that was used it couldn't be done. (Once steel like that is "burned" there's no fixing it.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think if you look at this link, you might have a different view of the unsafe '03's.

http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Interesting read. I'll still leave the shooting of low number Springfields to others though. Statistically he makes a lot of valid points.

He makes one point I disagree with: that the adoption of the "double heat treatment" didn't really fix the problem, that said receivers continued to fail. But, notice that said receivers merely bent, they didn't shatter which to me makes them a lot safer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to shoot ‘03’s a lot - there was a time when the only center fire rifles I had was a 6mm Remington on a 98 Mauser action and a “customized” ‘03.
If I owned one of the low numbered ‘03’s I’d probably shoot cast bullets in them - even though I believe that the often stated alarm regarding danger on these is over stated.
If the only rifle I owned was an ‘03, I’d be hunting anything I could in the USA with it and I’d bet it would work well enough. It would work pretty good in Africa too for most game. But I’d not push the pressure beyond factory level pressures.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I still shoot 03's a lot. I own 10 .30-06's and 8 of them are 03's. My 03A1 Sniper, Style T Target, and NRA Sporter see the most use and to lessen the wear on their bores I shoot mostly reduced cast bullet loads, but that's just me as I'm a lifelong cast bullet experimenter and would shoot such loads regardless. My service rifles stand by with ammo belt and bandoliers stuffed with 5-round clips of home made Ball M2 ammo, as well as the trusty M1 with several ammo cans full of the same stuff in enbloc clips. Let those Zombies try to crash my party, haha!!

I had what I thought was a great supply of 4895 and Sierra 150 FMJBT's until last year when the Zombies got restless. I still have those components but now they are in the form of over a thousand M2 Ball copies.

I may have mentioned before that I have a pristine early Remington 1903 (not 03A3, I really don't have much time for them) action that I'm on the fence whether to "restore" it, sporterize it, or sell it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by model70man

They were held in emergency reserve and not used.

Thanks. I did not know that.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Model 70 man that's what Hatcher said. The barrels aren't the problem it's the brittle receiver that is.

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
The story of early 03's blowing up has been blown up. They were not as dangerous as many claim. There were a few, but there were other circumstances.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Bugger
The so-called unsafe 03's were put into service and very few had problems. The safety issue was blown out of proportion, but it has been repeated so many times that it has now become fact

I have read similar, lots of hype, and little evidence as to the exact cause. Lots of variables in those days. I have a beautifully done, low number 03, a classic for the 50's. Like Bugger I don't push it.

Last edited by elkmen1; 01/31/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first deer rifle was a Remington 1903-A1, sporterized. I still have it and I haven't shot it in decades.

Dan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a couple US Rems, both 6/42 and numbers in the same range as the one the OP noted. One sporter, one original except for the stock. Both are good shooters. And the original one is pretty much the same as the 1903s turned out by US armories.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.