-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I currently have 1 Wyoming preference point for Pronghorn. I plan on buying another one this year.

I will be hunting private land this Fall with an outfitter, and will not need points, so I want to keep the point that I have.

Should I apply for a license in an area that would need a fair amount of points as my first choice (knowing I won't get selected) and apply for the private land as my second choice? Will getting turned down for my first choice allow me to keep the point I have so I can accumulate points?

Are you forced to use points regardless of the area?

Trying to learn how it all works since I am out of state.

Thanks

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I believe you're on the right track. I don't think you burn your points when you draw a second choice tag. But, personally, I would call Wyoming Game and Fish Dept. They are very helpful and patient.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I believe you're on the right track. I don't think you burn your points when you draw a second choice tag. But, personally, I would call Wyoming Game and Fish Dept. They are very helpful and patient.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes that is correct, preference points only count toward 1st choice hunts you apply for. If you did drew a 2nd or even 3rd choice you put in for your points would not go towards that tag.

Not sure what you mean by private land though - are you putting in for and hunting a unit with lots or private that should be easy to draw?? That used to be easy to do but if you look at last years draw results there aren't many units you can draw anymore as a 2nd choice, even in tough to find public land units.

Or are you hunting a unit set up like unit 23, that has type 2 tags that are specific to private land only? If thats the case you should be able to draw that as a 2nd no problem.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, type 2 tags specific to private. So I should get picked for that as a 2nd choice then, right?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Yes, type 2 tags specific to private. So I should get picked for that as a 2nd choice then, right?

I would think so, seems even this last year there where unsold type private land only tags in several units - I know there where in 23 anyway so unless things really go sideways in 2021 you should draw no problem. I assume your outfitters knows the odds better than anyone though so if they say you will be OK then good luck on your hunt wink

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. I am going to give the outfitter a call prior to buying the license to firm things up. I wanted to do some research on my own first. The WY web page is very helpful but I wanted to hear other folks experiences too.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
And, you would still be eligible to buy a point again this year. I just spoke with a woman at WGFD.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. It goes to the end of Oct I think. Thanks

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Check 2020 draw results to make sure there are type 2 i. Your area and what the odds are as a second choice.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be careful. I got burned last year thinking I was safe with Wyoming pronghorn draw. It should've been a slam dunk as my 2nd choice with two PP's and a 93% draw rate. Trouble was a lot more people applied and draw odds dropped to 80% and I didn't get it. This year I'm applying my 3 points to my first choice

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You also need to bear in mind that 25 percent of the licenses are awarded outside of the preference point pool. So you could draw your first choice even if you applied for an area with very low odds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But PP's are only applied to your first choice right? For choices 2 and 3 you have to apply for units that probably can be drawn without a PP?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That is correct.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am putting in for a Zone 23 Type 2, per the outfitter. It has been 100% draw since it is all private.

I may just say screw it and not play games with the PP. If I get picked for another unit as a first choice, I risk losing my deposit. Not worth it for 1 PP.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There's a way to do it without the risk of losing the point you have, and gaining another. You can PM me if you'd like and I can help you through it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I am putting in for a Zone 23 Type 2, per the outfitter. It has been 100% draw since it is all private.

I may just say screw it and not play games with the PP. If I get picked for another unit as a first choice, I risk losing my deposit. Not worth it for 1 PP.

Yup. I'd love to save my 3 points until I have enough for unit 27 which is what I want. But I want to hunt this year so I'm going to burn them on as good a unit as I can get

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 907brass, 11 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.