Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If your car has sensors for light malfunction you will need an adapter. Otherwise, the warning lights will be on all of the time. The LED draws less current so the sensors read it as a light malfunction

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
After some searching, it appears that Dodge and Chevy require the canbus decoders. That adds at least $20 to the price. It's simple to install them. They just fit inline in the wires. The connectors are already attached.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
After some searching, it appears that Dodge and Chevy require the canbus decoders. That adds at least $20 to the price. It's simple to install them. They just fit inline in the wires. The connectors are already attached.

My Silverado shouldnt(2011). All vehicle dependent. Some Dodge trucks dont need them either. Majority of newer Jeeps seem to need it. Volvos. Probably a good idea to see what ya like, call the manufacturer and find out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's another thread here where the OP states he's having issues with LEDs. Specifically, they don't get hot and therefore allow snow to accumulate and form an 'ice lens', and extremely limit forward vision. The vehicle he's having an issue with is a new GMC Sierra. FWIW, my boss just got one (2021 GMC Sierra) and has the same problem. GM dealer is clueless.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WiFowler
There's another thread here where the OP states he's having issues with LEDs. Specifically, they don't get hot and therefore allow snow to accumulate and form an 'ice lens', and extremely limit forward vision. The vehicle he's having an issue with is a new GMC Sierra. FWIW, my boss just got one (2021 GMC Sierra) and has the same problem. GM dealer is clueless.

I read the thread. Has nothing to do with LEDs and everything to do with vehicle design. Any flat faced light collects snow/ice...especially when heavy. You know how many Jeeps ive had throughout the years that had the same issue...with halogens??? Yes it sucks, but you stop when you can and wipe them off. Or use something like rainx, which doesnt do a whole lot in the heavy stuff. FWIW id not use Pam or other spray oil, itll degrade the headlight eventually.

IC B2

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Finally got around to putting them in my Silverado. Holy Fook! The highs are awesome! Lows are a lot brighter also, but the pattern isnt quite as wide as the Osram halogens. Dont need driving lights on now on low. But I also put the driving lights in......ill get flashed for sure if I have lows and driving on at the same time! grin Wish I wouldnt have waited so long. It makes one helluva difference! Very happy.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by pahick
Anybody switch out their halogen headlights to LED?

Just popped passenger side bulb. Got 6 months out of this Osram Nightbreaker Laser. Im on the 3rd set and I never got more than 10 months out of em. It definitely was brighter and better beam than OEM, but I got the schitts of changing out bulbs. Drivers sides easy, and I can yank the airbox out of the passenger side and have a bulb in in 5 minutes but damn does it get old. Especially when its cold out and I dont have a garage.

I just ordered some LEDs for low and high beam. Good reviews on Amazon, even though theyre cheapies......so how long LEDs usually last? Any issues?

That is the problem with headlights. You pay more and see a lot better with the premium lamps. But damn, they die in a hurry. Especially if one is commuting both ways in the dark.

Good luck on the LED.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I replaced the pretend bulb in my Harley Lowrider with a halogen. Nice to actually see, at night!

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Anybody switch out their halogen headlights to LED?

Just popped passenger side bulb. Got 6 months out of this Osram Nightbreaker Laser. Im on the 3rd set and I never got more than 10 months out of em. It definitely was brighter and better beam than OEM, but I got the schitts of changing out bulbs. Drivers sides easy, and I can yank the airbox out of the passenger side and have a bulb in in 5 minutes but damn does it get old. Especially when its cold out and I dont have a garage.

I just ordered some LEDs for low and high beam. Good reviews on Amazon, even though theyre cheapies......so how long LEDs usually last? Any issues?

That is the problem with headlights. You pay more and see a lot better with the premium lamps. But damn, they die in a hurry. Especially if one is commuting both ways in the dark.

Good luck on the LED.

I can honestly say ill never go back to halogen. These LEDs are cheaper than the Osrams so even if they dont last, which im sure they will, its just better sense going with the LEDs. Any vehicle I own from now on gets em.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WiFowler

I read the thread. Has nothing to do with LEDs and everything to do with vehicle design. Any flat faced light collects snow/ice...especially when heavy. You know how many Jeeps ive had throughout the years that had the same issue...with halogens??? Yes it sucks, but you stop when you can and wipe them off. Or use something like rainx, which doesnt do a whole lot in the heavy stuff. FWIW id not use Pam or other spray oil, itll degrade the headlight eventually.

Not exactly.
LEDs will be much worse.
They make very little heat.
When thery started putting them on trailers, I thought they were great.
Low current draw, long life, bright. What's not to like?

Trailer lights totally snow covered and an invisible truck. That's what.
Old lamps made enough heat that the center would stay clear.
Slush would dry and cover them in dirt, but that takes time.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I replaced my old bulbs in my 2011 Ford F150 with LED bulbs. Don't remember what brand they were. The new bulbs interfered with my radio reception so bad that I can no longer listen to some local stations. I researched it and found where that is fairly common. Anybody else have that problem and if so, what did you do?

Thanks

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deputy30
I replaced my old bulbs in my 2011 Ford F150 with LED bulbs. Don't remember what brand they were. The new bulbs interfered with my radio reception so bad that I can no longer listen to some local stations. I researched it and found where that is fairly common. Anybody else have that problem and if so, what did you do?

Thanks
You need decoders. I'm not sure what they do but they fit in the wires behind the bulb. A pair costs about $20. I had to get them for my Dodge. This is a common problem and easy to fix. You just unplug the wiring from the bulb and plug in the decoders. It takes about 30 sec. per bulb...IF you can get at them. That can take considerably longer.

― George Orwell

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You need decoders. I'm not sure what they do but they fit in the wires behind the bulb. A pair costs about $20. I had to get them for my Dodge. This is a common problem and easy to fix. You just unplug the wiring from the bulb and plug in the decoders. It takes about 30 sec. per bulb...IF you can get at them. That can take considerably longer.

Most LED kits apparently come with decoders. Both the Fahrens and Sealites I bought had them wired in. I posted a pic of the Fahrens and you can see the decoder in line.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
LEDs suck if you drive in winter weather.They emit no heat and freeze up with slush.HID lights are tits.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Huntz
LEDs suck if you drive in winter weather.They emit no heat and freeze up with slush.HID lights are tits.
We have them in our Toyota. We've driven in some really nasty weather this winter and have had no problems at all. At one point last month, I had to find a car wash because all the electonic sensors were iced over and not working so I had to hose them off. The headlights were clear.

― George Orwell

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Had two trips visiting the grandkids in last few months. I crossed the bridge and hit the UP the snow stuck to my headlights with the LEDS I had to pull over and wipe them off to see.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
......so how long LEDs usually last? Any issues?

Not as long as they advertise. You're better off adding external light bars or pods. I tried LED replacement bulbs and they did not last any longer than a regular halogen. Given that my entire front grill has to be removed to install bulbs I just threw all my leftover LED's in the trash after three tries, the last was $200 Morimoto's. Only lasted 4 years. That was last weekend I went back to OEM Halogens.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Changing bulbs on my Dodge pickup involves removing 3 bolts (very easy to get at) and pulling the light forward.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
get two different color bulbs ( k) you will be able to see better!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Most LED kits apparently come with decoders. Both the Fahrens and Sealites I bought had them wired in. I posted a pic of the Fahrens and you can see the decoder in line.

That is not the decoders you are seeing, it is the ballasts !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 1minute, 47 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,859
Posts18,478,555
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.