Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
High comb for trap, no?

Back when sXs were the standard, most had straight stocks and splinter forends. A good sXs points.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 01/22/21.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Other than waterfowl, for which I use a modern, 3 1/2" gas-operated repeater for open water divers, the only shotgun I hunt with any more is my Merkel 1620, double triggers, straight grip, VZ and 1/2 choke. I also have a Fox Sterlingworth 16 gauge and had an Ithaca 16 gauge SXS that my brother liked so..... I could get it back but won't. Occasionally, I'll use my 12 gauge Ruger Red Label 12 bore, an early 80's gun that has proven to be bulletproof. I usually use the Ruger when I'm going with a group I've never hunted with before and don't want to look too high-falutin', but also don't want to miss anything.

For the life of me, I don't know why anyone with average means would want anything but a refined, 16 gauge SXS to hunt upland birds with. All this blather about chokes and shot sizes....a 16 gauge sxs choked ic and mod or mod and mod or mod and full with 1 1/8 ounces of 5 shot will do anything anyone wants it to do. Quail maybe? okay, 71/2's.

Go with minimum 28" barrels. The short-barrel shotgun nonsense has been exposed as such for decades. A shotgun is all about smooth, coordinated movement: not herky-jerkey throw the sucker up and let off a blast. Don't give me any bullschitt about "Oh, in the New England fugging jungles where I hunt...." No one has hunted grouse and woodcock in thicker schitt than I have. Those who think chopping a couple inches off the barrel of their shotgun (or rifle for that matter) gives them some great advantage would be better off losing 20 pounds and learning how to shoot.

Man, I'm starting to sound like a curmudgeon, aren't I. About fugging time, I've earned it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I started using an AYA 20ga SXS double at 12, 61 years ago. I shoot a few autoloaders now, but I prefer at DT SXS in general. They have the fastest barrel selection and handle much faster than pumps and autos. Since drillings are essentially a SXS+, I lump them into SXS DT doubleguns.

This Kreighoff Trumpf Dural is light and feels like a find double. I shoot it a lot as an upland double.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This high grade Simson 16ga didn't point well for me, but the new owner says it is radar guided for him.

My favorite is the 12ga SXS half of my two barrel cape gun/SXS set.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have collected dbbs for 40 years,also International trap O/U.The ou's shoot better but always load a Sxs

when hunting.dale06 has a galazan 20bore in the classified section fancy wood with good stock dems,I think he close on a fair price.The gun is cased in as new condition.JMHO pipeliner

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I have two 20’s by SKB. A 280, 26”barrel quail shotgun and another that I think is a model 300 ? with 28” barrels, both with English straight grips. I shoot both of them really well...they just fit right.

I'd like to find an Ithaca SKB 20G quail special, IM/IM, 25" barrels, a buddy had one one and It's a nice shooting light SXS.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
They are all I own, 12's, 16's and 20's.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I like the wide area of the side, by side. My father taught me to point a shotgun, not aim. Up, and lead, shoot. Birds get far away fast.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Well, in West Texas you will lose 20-40% of blue quail you down with 71/2 because by the time you get to where the broke wing birds fell they will be 75 yards away uphill or in desert sand you cant run in or 2-3 feet down a badger hole or burrowing owl hole or under several hundred pounds of pack rat nests 2 feet high and 6 ft across built up through 12 branches of a spreading mesquite.

With low base 20 ga 6's i will beat any gunner with a 12 and high brass 71/2's re birds in the bag at days end.
Wish I had learned to shoot with a sxs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/22/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Well, in West Texas you will lose 20-40% of blue quail you down with 71/2 because by the time you get to where the broke wing birds fell they will be 75 yards away uphill or in desert sand you cant run in or 2-3 feet down a badger hole or burrowing owl hole or under several hundred pounds of pack rat nests 2 feet high and 6 ft across built up through 12 branches of a spreading mesquite.

With low base 20 ga 6's i will beat any gunner with a 12 and high brass 71/2's re birds in the bag at days end.

I have always preferred to go up in shot size, eschewing "pattern density" (a concept important only to gunwriters) for broken bones and penetration through to vitals from behind.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot a lot of different SXS's but I love Philadelphia Foxes in 16 & 20 gauge the most. They shoot where I point or I send them down the road.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
What is this??!!! A thread on hunting???
Not politics? laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This slender and well-used 16ga Robust No. 4 French double looks like everything killed with it was clubbed to death by it. Ms. Scarlet wasn't too proud to be seen with it. The little SXS is a fast handling and pointing quail and grouse getter.

This slim 16ga Simson is a work in progress for me. I shoot it OK...just OK, though. I'm going to have the right barrel opened from what's now IM to IC.
it's the one on top:

Last edited by luv2safari; 01/22/21.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I have always preferred to go up in shot size, eschewing "pattern density" (a concept important only to gunwriters) for broken bones and penetration through to vitals from behind.

Truth. Thats the difference in shooting them and getting them. 2 7.5s in a big quail going away is an iffy deal. 2 6s in a big quail going away and the odds are in your favor for getting dinner.

Dayom i wish you could buy cheap low brass 5's. They would also be great for squirrels at 35 yards with an IM choke.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/22/21.

I Dindo Nuffin
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A good friend is one of the empty out the auto at every bird, the bird's in the next county by shot three! laugh

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I only have a couple but my Ithaca/SKB 200 is my go to. I also like my SKB 385. They both fit and point great!

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by EdM
They are all I own, 12's, 16's and 20's.

Beautiful, Ed.

I Dindo Nuffin
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Squidge
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I have two 20’s by SKB. A 280, 26”barrel quail shotgun and another that I think is a model 300 ? with 28” barrels, both with English straight grips. I shoot both of them really well...they just fit right.

I'd like to find an Ithaca SKB 20G quail special, IM/IM, 25" barrels, a buddy had one one and It's a nice shooting light SXS.

Every 25" SKB I've ever seen is choked Skt/Skt. I'd be curious to see the demarkations denoting IM?

SKB/Ithaca 100/200/280 are affordable choices as is the Charles Daly 500.

For a bit more coin if you can find one the newer late 90's SKB 385/485's are very good quality, have screw-in chokes, and usually had gorgeous wood.

Browning BSS, Beretta 625/626's if you can find them are also good choices that'll have a lot less drop than the guns from say before the 1960's or so.

Last edited by horse1; 01/22/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The SKB 280E quail special is IM/IM, they only made them for a couple of years and didn't make very many of them.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/906203274/280E-Ithaca-SKB-Quail-Special-20-Gauge-In-Box.htm

Last edited by Squidge; 01/22/21. Reason: added link

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bobinpa
I only have a couple but my Ithaca/SKB 200 is my go to. I also like my SKB 385. They both fit and point great!

Those Ithaca SKBs were real sleepers back in the day. They are finely made guns and point nice. I sold a few to knowledgeable customers in the late 1970s. They all came back to thank me. The 280 was about as Classic as they come. cool cool

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.