Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by cra1948
Other than waterfowl, for which I use a modern, 3 1/2" gas-operated repeater for open water divers, the only shotgun I hunt with any more is my Merkel 1620, double triggers, straight grip, VZ and 1/2 choke. I also have a Fox Sterlingworth 16 gauge and had an Ithaca 16 gauge SXS that my brother liked so..... I could get it back but won't. Occasionally, I'll use my 12 gauge Ruger Red Label 12 bore, an early 80's gun that has proven to be bulletproof. I usually use the Ruger when I'm going with a group I've never hunted with before and don't want to look too high-falutin', but also don't want to miss anything.

For the life of me, I don't know why anyone with average means would want anything but a refined, 16 gauge SXS to hunt upland birds with. All this blather about chokes and shot sizes....a 16 gauge sxs choked ic and mod or mod and mod or mod and full with 1 1/8 ounces of 5 shot will do anything anyone wants it to do. Quail maybe? okay, 71/2's.

Go with minimum 28" barrels. The short-barrel shotgun nonsense has been exposed as such for decades. A shotgun is all about smooth, coordinated movement: not herky-jerkey throw the sucker up and let off a blast. Don't give me any bullschitt about "Oh, in the New England fugging jungles where I hunt...." No one has hunted grouse and woodcock in thicker schitt than I have. Those who think chopping a couple inches off the barrel of their shotgun (or rifle for that matter) gives them some great advantage would be better off losing 20 pounds and learning how to shoot.

Man, I'm starting to sound like a curmudgeon, aren't I. About fugging time, I've earned it.

Good advice here. A quality made 16ga SxS should weigh in the neighborhood of 6.5lbs - running right alongside a similar 20ga in weight, allowing comfortable carry throughout a long day in the field. I've a short-chambered Sauer for which I use the B&P F2 Classic load (1 oz of #5s) - thumps the snot out of my ND roosters and sharptails. Also functions through my Remington M11, my Winchester 1897 (also short chambered), and my Citori - making it a do-all load for me, which I buy by the case.

FYI - Scheels in Fargo, ND has a Dickinson 16ga in their display case for $1599 - Straight grip, checkered butt, case-hardened receiver, 28 inch barrels with interechangeable chokes, extractors. I'm not in love with case-hardening and the gun felt a bit heavy to me, but it sure pointed nice.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Where are Berger Helice SXS's made? Are they decent shotguns?

I saw this: https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...weight-sxs-bird-gun.cfm?gun_id=101560291

Ha, while looking on Gunsinternational, two SXS sold while watching.

Last edited by Old Ornery; 01/23/21.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There have been several recommendations for Fox Sterlingworths. Quite agree. There are many good reasons why. AH Fox guns have very few moving parts and their bolting mechanism is virtually self tightening because it employs a rotary bolt that engages a barrel extension. They also, in my experience have a nice dynamic feel. I have an ejector grade 20 with 30 in. tubes. It is sweet and a real bird smacker. As with all these old guns one needs to plan for a bit of stock adjustment. I restocked mine with an English style straight rhomboid grip. Did it myself and learned a lot about stock fit. If you do it yourself, you won't be out much using a plain grade of walnut. It was fun and the gun is a real classic upland piece. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton
Originally Posted by cra1948
Other than waterfowl, for which I use a modern, 3 1/2" gas-operated repeater for open water divers, the only shotgun I hunt with any more is my Merkel 1620, double triggers, straight grip, VZ and 1/2 choke. I also have a Fox Sterlingworth 16 gauge and had an Ithaca 16 gauge SXS that my brother liked so..... I could get it back but won't. Occasionally, I'll use my 12 gauge Ruger Red Label 12 bore, an early 80's gun that has proven to be bulletproof. I usually use the Ruger when I'm going with a group I've never hunted with before and don't want to look too high-falutin', but also don't want to miss anything.

For the life of me, I don't know why anyone with average means would want anything but a refined, 16 gauge SXS to hunt upland birds with. All this blather about chokes and shot sizes....a 16 gauge sxs choked ic and mod or mod and mod or mod and full with 1 1/8 ounces of 5 shot will do anything anyone wants it to do. Quail maybe? okay, 71/2's.

Go with minimum 28" barrels. The short-barrel shotgun nonsense has been exposed as such for decades. A shotgun is all about smooth, coordinated movement: not herky-jerkey throw the sucker up and let off a blast. Don't give me any bullschitt about "Oh, in the New England fugging jungles where I hunt...." No one has hunted grouse and woodcock in thicker schitt than I have. Those who think chopping a couple inches off the barrel of their shotgun (or rifle for that matter) gives them some great advantage would be better off losing 20 pounds and learning how to shoot.

Man, I'm starting to sound like a curmudgeon, aren't I. About fugging time, I've earned it.

Good advice here. A quality made 16ga SxS should weigh in the neighborhood of 6.5lbs - running right alongside a similar 20ga in weight, allowing comfortable carry throughout a long day in the field. I've a short-chambered Sauer for which I use the B&P F2 Classic load (1 oz of #5s) - thumps the snot out of my ND roosters and sharptails. Also functions through my Remington M11, my Winchester 1897 (also short chambered), and my Citori - making it a do-all load for me, which I buy by the case.

FYI - Scheels in Fargo, ND has a Dickinson 16ga in their display case for $1599 - Straight grip, checkered butt, case-hardened receiver, 28 inch barrels with interechangeable chokes, extractors. I'm not in love with case-hardening and the gun felt a bit heavy to me, but it sure pointed nice.

Kaiser Norton

Plus 1

It “should carry like a 20 and kick like a 12” which is perfect for a bird gun.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Old Ornery

I saw this: https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...weight-sxs-bird-gun.cfm?gun_id=101560291

Looks French to me. The word Acier that is stamped on the barrel means steel in French. The very first shotgun I ever bought was French and had Acier Special stamped on the barrel. I still have it. For years I thought is was a boxlock but upon further inspection found it had a lock plate mechaniism, At first glance, that gun appears to have quite a bit of drop on the stock.

Soli Deo Gloria

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

It “should carry like a 20 and kick like a 12” which is perfect for a bird gun. [/quote]

That's not how I remember it. ;-{>8

Soli Deo Gloria

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That’s how I remember it as told by my grandpa when I was a young kid. Maybe I got the cleaned up version?? He hated the full choked single shot 12 “that shot like a rifle and kicked liked a mule” while outback behind the house pheasant hunting or road hunting during the depression..

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The sell phrase for the 16 gauge was, "It carries like a 20 and kills like a 12" which, depending on certain factors, is IMHO, true.

You can't put a 16 on a 12 frame and expect this to be true and like all other physics, you can't expect, nor do you need to, put a 12 load in it and expect not to get pounded.

Soli Deo Gloria

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Only the fanciest SxS come hunting with me. Anyone able to ID this fine piece?

Zastava (sp)?

That is Russian IZH. Most likely model once imported and sold by Remington as the Spartan.

You sound like you know what you're talking about, but as I recall the thing was stamped 'Baikal'. And yes, Russian made and sold under the Remington brand. Good call. It was kind of clunky but did fine when afield, but ultimately it was taken duck hunting in the salt marsh. After a couple of times getting sprayed with saltwater, on future hunts you could practically watch the barrels turning orange with rust before your eyes. So, it now lives in Texas with a hairy dude. Too much bother for me to have to meticulously clean a shotgun after every single outing.

I bought a Ithaca/SKB model 100 in 20ga from a fellah here a couple years back, and that little thing carries great and shoots damned well. Lots of upland critters--mostly birds--to its credit. I'm a 12ga guy really, but there's a lot to love about that 20. If it had an available third shot I'd take it everywhere, for everything!

wink

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by Squidge
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I have two 20’s by SKB. A 280, 26”barrel quail shotgun and another that I think is a model 300 ? with 28” barrels, both with English straight grips. I shoot both of them really well...they just fit right.

I'd like to find an Ithaca SKB 20G quail special, IM/IM, 25" barrels, a buddy had one one and It's a nice shooting light SXS.

Every 25" SKB I've ever seen is choked Skt/Skt. I'd be curious to see the demarkations denoting IM?

SKB/Ithaca 100/200/280 are affordable choices as is the Charles Daly 500.

For a bit more coin if you can find one the newer late 90's SKB 385/485's are very good quality, have screw-in chokes, and usually had gorgeous wood.

Browning BSS, Beretta 625/626's if you can find them are also good choices that'll have a lot less drop than the guns from say before the 1960's or so.

I think you’re right, my 280 has 25” barrels and I could be wrong but I think it’s bored IC/Mod. The other is definitely IC/Mod with silver nitride receiver.

25" or 26" bbls? I've owned 2 w/26's that were IC/Mod. The 25" I had was Skt/Skt.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I like to do some upland hunting with an old Sauer 20.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THAT made my tongue hard!

cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Originally Posted by Old Ornery

Looks French to me. The word Acier that is stamped on the barrel means steel in French. The very first shotgun I ever bought was French and had Acier Special stamped on the barrel. I still have it. For years I thought is was a boxlock but upon further inspection found it had a lock plate mechaniism, At first glance, that gun appears to have quite a bit of drop on the stock.

Has 65mm chambers, too. The chokes will be real tight in a gun of the 65mm chamber vintage. It's been opened up underneath by someone who didn't know doubles. Still, it's a nice field grade SXS.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SxS are my favorite hunting shotgun. Might be because I started out with an old 12 ga Stevens 311 hammer double. Here is my Dickinson Estate 16 ga. A little chunky at 6 3/4 lbs, but works fine with heavy pheasant loads.
That one looks pretty plain next to cheesy's 100+ year old German 16 built by Venus Gun Works on a Sauer forging. FANCY wood, horn trigger guard and buttplate, weighs just under 6 lbs.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Beautiful, thanks.

Soli Deo Gloria

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll say it. Side by sides are cool if you don't really care about hitting something.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
my father was a sxs guy scoffed pumps and autos. That was the greatest generation, I'm a boomer. Beretta 390 for me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Originally Posted by ltppowell
I'll say it. Side by sides are cool if you don't really care about hitting something.

Looks like pot stirrer boredom syndrome to me.

Two word reply: Percy Stanbury

Soli Deo Gloria

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Merkel 141 Double,

8 x 57 JRS (8mm Mauser, Rimmed)

I call it the triple double!

Works for me.

and the Latest,

CSMC RBL Professional, SXS 20 gauge Sabot DR.........

Test target

Regulated for Winchester Sabots.

Hope to perforate some porkers with it in the next week or so!

Ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/23/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
simson or merkel

Last edited by ribka; 01/23/21.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

Arrieta 903 SXS, 16 Ga.

Armas Ugartechea. 28 ga SXS

Arrieta 903 SxS, 16 Ga.

Hulu Ringneck, 28 ga. SXS

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

403 members (12344mag, 117LBS, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 45 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,319
Posts18,505,800
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.