Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
With the buck to doe ratio being as screwed up as it is in Michigan some does don't get bred until December. At least that's what I've read from Dr. Ozaga (sp?) I've seen dinks carrying half-a-rack into March in Saginaw County. YMMV... grin

Secondary rut, the doe fawns will get bred then.

Pretty common.

That's beyond secondary rut. First rut here is in September, does won't stand for bucks. The major rut is late October~early November. The third rut is late December, have actually heard of a later rut (rare) in January. The fawns produced from the December/ January rut don't have a high survivability rate for their first winter. Depends on snow cover...

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Depends on nutrition and overall health of the buck.

See them till March often and even one time in early April.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Uninjured, start dropping mid Feb here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blacktails around here seem to keep them until about March/April when they start growing new ones.

Carpe' Scrotum
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by rem141r
here in PA i see them into april.

In NJ depending upon the year I;'ve had good bucks drop them in mid-late january and others hold them past Feb.

Antlers still on here in NWNJ

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Not unusual here. The biologists put the peak of our rut in the first week of January.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steve
Blacktails around here seem to keep them until about March/April when they start growing new ones.

Weekend before I was in the yard just having returned with a trailer full of a ton of gravel....

dozen does come running by.. like something had them spooked.... looked in that direction for a coyote or something...

instead come running past me and never even looked at me was a Blacktail buck... he stopped long enough like 20 yds from me
to count the 7 points on each antler.... he crossed the creek, the does took off again....

guess the rut is still in full swing down here in So. Oregon...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saw a fork horn blacktail buck yesterday on the Olympic Peninsula, with a doe, still had antlers on both sides.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still have bucks with antlers on my cams in Northern IN

The beatings will continue until morale improves
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Steve

Weekend before I was in the yard just having returned with a trailer full of a ton of gravel....

dozen does come running by.. like something had them spooked.... looked in that direction for a coyote or something...

instead come running past me and never even looked at me was a Blacktail buck... he stopped long enough like 20 yds from me
to count the 7 points on each antler.... he crossed the creek, the does took off again....

guess the rut is still in full swing down here in So. Oregon...

Lets see, thats 7 times dos in Texas so iirc that would be 14 stickers, huh? Nice. Real nice. Id put out alfalfa for that boy chasing does. He needs more than pine needles to pass on those genes.

You know what they say: Give Back. wink

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/23/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heck the rut is just starting where I hunt in Alabama.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the SW, late March into April seems to be shedding time for deer and elk. Some do seem to drop early. Have been told that is due to T3 level.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

A few years ago saw a really big buck running a field with a couple of doe here in PA at the end of March.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The healthier the buck the longer they hold

Just the opposite with our mule deer. Big old robust bucks drop in Feb and the wimpy little guys might hang onto theirs into April

Had a group of four 4by's just behind the house this morning. Cookie ran out to get a couple images of the largest. Did not get close enough for a portrait, but did hit the shutter a couple times. Not one we had seen around here before. Other three have been regulars, and I can still see them bedded out the back door. A bit nippy out, and they all savoring some sunshine in a spot out of the wind.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Have seen elk here still carrying in early May, and some images from Wy feed grounds with both hard and branch velvets in the same frame.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/23/21.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
The healthier the buck the longer they hold

Just the opposite with our mule deer. Big old robust bucks drop in Feb and the wimpy little guys might hang onto theirs into April

Had a group of four 4by's just behind the house this morning. Cookie ran out to get a couple images of the largest. Did not get close enough for a portrait, but did hit the shutter a couple times. Not one we had seen around here before. Other three have been regulars, and I can still see them bedded through out back door.
[Linked Image from i.aostimg.cc]

Have seen elk here still carrying in early May, and some images from Wy feed grounds with both hard and branch velvets in the same frame.

I have to agree with 1minute. Our larger antlers fall first no matter elk mule deer or whitetail. Maybe regionally it’s different. Interesting anyways. Also I have seen no correlation to health either. Seems mass alone is the biggest factor. I swear our heathy young spike elk don’t shed until the new antler pops the old one off from below. They hold into June often and are healthy as any.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've heard that during tough winters bucks tend to drop earlier too.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here in Montana, I have seen a few Whitetails that have started to drop antlers. For the most part, February and March the bucks drop their antlers. The fact that a buck made it through the season in Michigan is impressive!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found a shed of a nice buck about 3.5 years old in Northern Missouri the day after Christmas. Lots of other bucks holding horns it seemed.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Interesting responses, it surely varies due to latitude.
This is an interesting subject, thanks for responding.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
We start shed hunting usually the second week of Febuary! The bucks that come to our place have their antlers, with the exception of a small three point. He only has the drivers side.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1minute, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 53 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,527
Posts18,472,663
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.