Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
PatB Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
P
I'm in the market for a 100HP+ tractor, probably used.. Will be using it for moving round bales, pasture mowing, pulling a 14' disk, etc. Ranch work.

Last tractor I bought was a mid '80's IH. It's served me well but I've about used it up. Obviously I've been out of the market for a long time. Need some help!

Will probably only get a couple of hundred hours a year of use. Prefer to stay in under 50K.

Any input from you guys that do this kind of work what I should be looking at?

Appreciate any input..

Last edited by PatB; 01/22/21.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Any of the three you mentioned will work, and I'll add New Holland since that's what I own. I have a 115 HP New Holland that I use for what you say you do with one, and it has worked out fine. Pretty much any of them maintain their value well, especially JD. I'm old fashioned, and prefer the simple transmissions, instead of the electronic/hydraulic ones like I have on the NH. You should be able to get a very nice tractor for under 50K.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You gotta take into account what features you'd want in a tractor. From what you listed it seems like a 4 cylinder with a continuously variable trans will probably be your best bet. The next question is whether you're looking for a new or a used machine. From my experiences, Deere generally offers the best comfort in operating the machine and for long work hours, which might justify a higher price to you. They also have this nifty multifunction-lever on their never AutoPowr (CVT) models which makes it really simple and comfortable to do loader stuff and the like, since you don't have to move your hand all the time. Then again, Deere has done some really shady stuff regarding customers repairing the own machines in recent years (this comes from a lifelong Deere fan). Case IH is a little simpler but at a lower price, it all depends on where your priorities are. The Kubota in this power range I find pretty interesting, as it has a 4 cylinder engine, but with 6,1l displacement which gives it an advantage over the other 4 cylinders while being shorter and less thirsty than the 6 cyl engines. Sadly the Kubota is only available with a powershift transmission with 4 groups which makes it less suited for loader stuff and other precision tasks and better for field work.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Assuming a reasonable price, I'll, say condition, and dealer support are more important than color.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
We are running both Kubota and Deere loaders in my construction company.
Both are good I would pick the Kubota it drives a little smoother in my opinion but only if I were the only operator or if I knew the other driver was paying attention to maintenance needs and fluid levels. If you have several drivers like I do who are going to jump on and not check fluids or grease zerks and keep running it with warning lights on etc. go with the Deere because not that one is tougher than the other but when they do go down the Deere has been cheaper to fix in my experience. All my kubota repairs have been due to neglect operators that should have been prevented.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PatB
I'm in the market for a 100HP+ tractor, probably used.. Will be using it for moving round bales, pasture mowing, pulling a 14' disk, etc. Ranch work.

Last tractor I bought was a mid '80's IH. It's served me well but I've about used it up. Obviously I've been out of the market for a long time. Need some help!

Will probably only get a couple of hundred hours a year of use. Prefer to stay in under 50K.

Any input from you guys that do this kind of work what I should be looking at?

Appreciate any input..
Case and New Holland are the same company. The tractors they produce look alike. I don't know if they're the same thing or not. Of the three brands you mention, there are pluses and minuses to each. I'd probably go with the one I could get the best buy on, and factor in the local dealers.

That said, I might shy away from the Case brand. IOW, if I wanted one, I'd get the New Holland instead. Around here anyway, far fewer Case's are sold. This makes me wonder how much longer Case-IH branded units will be available, but that may just be around here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
You should be able to get a very nice tractor for under 50K.
I don't think you're going to find a new 115 hp tractor in any of the brands mentioned, for under $50,000. Maybe ten years ago you could've, but not today.

Usually medium sized tractors are well represented at the three dealers in our county...John Deere, Case and Kubota. Right now, I think the Case dealer has one, the Deere dealer has none and the Kubota dealer probably has several. They have been low on stock for awhile now.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
None are cheap, all parts are expensive, that said I’m pretty darn happy with our 65 HP, 12 year old (pre emissions), Kubota! We got it about 4 years ago, with 800 hours on it for less than half of it’s new price! I’ve put more wear and tear on it than the previous owner did in twice the years of use! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/22/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
A 6400 or a 6410 John Deere.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I run a New Holland for the same reasons your looking for. It’s a 90’s model. I thought about upgrading until I saw the prices of new ones. My NH still works great for my needs. I did have to replace a hydraulic hose and steering rod this past year. It’s the only issue I’ve had since purchasing it new in ‘96. The repairman said if I used it more those issues would not have happened. Tractors don’t like sit unused for long periods of time.

Last edited by bamagun01; 01/22/21.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
All my farming and ranching friends and relatives would say Deere.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a kubota. I’ve been happy with it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Kubota M7060HD12 I purchased new. I've had it a couple years and I'm right at 100 hours. I like the tractor OK. It's used mainly for rotary cutting, box grading and food plots. However, Wabigoon's recommendation to find the dealer and associated support first is spot on. My tractor had an issue out of the gate with a scratched hydraulic ram causing a leak in the hydraulics. Being that it wasn't immediately noticed, the warranty had come and gone before noticing the leak.

Kubota, under their good faith, warrantied the part but not the labor. I therefore had to pay the labor for a part that doesn't look factory (ram wasn't painted in the pin area) even though it is a factory part. The dealer could've chosen to eat the cost for labor but chose not to. This was after spending close to $42K with them. That and them trying to charge me $1200 for a 50 hr break-in service left me somewhat sour. In that case, they did not call me as requested before performing the service. They changed ALL fluids which ran the bill up. I'm not for those types of tactics.

Bottom line, as you know, if you own a tractor, you will need dealer support sooner or later. They can either help you or try to break it off in you. Tractors are expensive.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I sell ag.equipment for a living and have done it for years.I would buy which ever one has the best dealer support locally.I sell Deere for a living but on a used purchase your local dealer would determine which one i would choose.Not trying to sell you a piece of equipment but if you want an honest opinion you can private message me and can tell you pros and cons of a particular model.I have run every color of tractor under the sun and would be glad to help a fellow campfire member.Thanks

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
A 6400 or a 6410 John Deere.

I was gonna say look for a <5000 hour 7410 but damn...

Just looked at tractorhouse and a decent one with loader is $60k on up.

The crazy thing is you could put a 1000 hours on one and sell it for more than you paid.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by JamesJr
You should be able to get a very nice tractor for under 50K.
I don't think you're going to find a new 115 hp tractor in any of the brands mentioned, for under $50,000. Maybe ten years ago you could've, but not today.

Usually medium sized tractors are well represented at the three dealers in our county...John Deere, Case and Kubota. Right now, I think the Case dealer has one, the Deere dealer has none and the Kubota dealer probably has several. They have been low on stock for awhile now.

The OP said USED not new.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Whichever you have the dealer support for - probably at the closest distance.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Where I am, used tractor prices are stupid, so much so that new tractor financing becomes attractive. As others have said, I think the dealer service/relationship matters more than the color. Newer tractors are cursed with emission requirements you may not be accustomed to. In addition, newer models are frequently highly dependent upon turbos to meet hp demands. I find the low end power of older tractors much more preferable. Although more of an issue with compacts, the Kubotas are generally not as heavy as other brands. IMO, mass really matters and I have intentionally shied away from lighter tractors. Nothing made by man is perfect, and I have acquaintances with owners of newer models of all colors. All have had problems.... The same applies to the MFs and Landini I run.... Good luck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here it is! Just what you ordered! smile

Been happy with my Case 100hp.

It was the last year model before the govt imposed DEF BS... 2015.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Been thinking of making a switch, due to my ag. services business trying to go to a lesser HP batwing. 1700 hours... VERY well maintained and cared for. Everything works. You won't find a nicer tractor on the used market.

$50k.

Come get it. I'm in Texas as well.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I am looking for smaller... Kioti will probably be my pick in the 25 - 35 HP range.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1936M71, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,473
Posts18,489,910
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.