Slumlord school of Technology

can i get a diploma from there?

My diploma is a DD214
GB4

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Check local hospitals and school districts, to see if your computer skills are of use, there. Little to no layoffs, better bennnies, and less stress.

And, yes, LOTS of folks would like to hire a good lawn guy who can speak English, and not look like he’s using the job as an opportunity to scope out stuff to steal when the sun goes down. Talk with them about a “cash discount”.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Buy a 24ft ladder and start knocking doors, cleaning out gutters.

200-400 cash a day

get a high school kid and pay him to do most of the work while you upsell the homeowner on attic ventilation, foundation moisture control, driveway sealing, pressure washing. Etc

Yeah, become a Traveler. Just don't stay in one town too long. How's your Gaelic accent?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
Starting over at 59 is going to be extra rough....I did it at 47 that
was rough..... I suggest you collect the employment the democrats are going to buy votes with an ride that out , spend the rest of the year with easy money rolling in ..and keep a eye out and let work find u ...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I worked at 84Lumber for 3 whole days, quit at lunch on the 4th lol

I sold 3 roofing jobs and a deck to customers in there. I couldn’t resist. Got spinoffs and family and friends and neighbor jobs off of those jobs 😃👍

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A bouncer at a titty bar maybe ?

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rem141r
Well i got my notice last week. not a total surprise but still a kick in the nuts. spent a lot of time soul searching. i'm 59, debt free, we have lived well below our means and while not rich, could swing it if push comes to shove, big unknowns aside. what i have is what i saved, no pension or anything like that. still wanted to work til 62 to buy some big ticket items though which i am not going to do unless i get another job. while i am marketable, i am also competing against people half my age, 2/3 my salary and frankly usually quicker learners. my ability to learn new complicated things has diminished in the past 10 or so years and my field changes a lot. i am looking for work but am bracing for the worst. fortunately my company is giving me a pretty good severance pkg which really helps. my emotions run the gamut from scared to happy to hopeful to anxious and all flavors in between. last time this happened was right smack dab in the middle of 2008 recession and i was schitting bricks with kids, mortgage, car payment, etc. totally different feeling now. i haven't enjoyed my line of work for 15 or more years but it pays really well. considering some totally different job but not sure what. most jobs suck and if a job is going to suck, i want it to pay well if possible. i have worked for 45 years and always been a saver. switching to being a spender is disconcerting.

anybody else ever just totally changed jobs at this point? the panhandling gig seems pretty good. just need to stay away from the intersections around clarksville.

I feel for you. My employer went bankrupt just before 9/11. I saw more talented people looking for work than I could shake a stick at. I was keeping a bunch of pc apps on a netware platform going in a world that wanted Microsoft server products. I didn't feel like making the switch. I went back to fixing things as a maintenance tech. PLC's, robotics are fairly easy to deal with as I had my hand in that along with IT.

Too much stress will kill you. My heart after 20 years of working at what I do now has healed. I no longer have LVH. I'm 63, planning on hanging on to 66 1/2 but willing to punch at 65 if work turns unbearable.

Pick something at a level that isn't as stressful, even if it doesn't pay as much. I wish you well.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Just don’t limit yourself. Being in one field all your life can make you feel like a one trick pony.
Lot of money to be made out there, watch for it.
Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
G
G23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
rem,

Where are you located? and what type of IT work do you do?

G23

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depending on your locale, IT people are generally in relatively high demand, degree or not, if your experience is solid.

MM

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by slumlord
Slumlord school of Technology

can i get a diploma from there?

Sure. Just write the check!

If you’re not ready/willing to retire, face this challenge as an opportunity - the be self employed, free lance, start something differenter.

Know a coach who told kids; the problem is not the challenge; your reaction is the challenge.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
First embrace it. Think about perfecting your Crappie fishing technique and become a guide. Last I have been retired for five years now and would be happy to find a job to take up some of my time and do something different.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I got my walking papers last April, wasn't what I wanted, was hoping for a couple more years, but it is what it is.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
When the magic negro trashed the economy in '09 my employer walked me to the door. I took advantage of the 13 weeks of severance pay and unemployment to take an extended break from employment. I too was age 59 and my wife had a good job with health insurance that covered me, we were debt free and the kid's college was already paid for. I eventually found work in an associated field at 2/3 my previous salary and much less stress. I worked until I was 64 and retired two years early, I have been enjoying life ever since. Retirement is the best job I ever had, no driving to work in rush hour traffic nor in winter snow and ice. No boss, no time clock and no kiss azz company politics to deal with, I do as I please when I please.

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by G23
rem,

Where are you located? and what type of IT work do you do?

G23

i am in PA and i do linux/network/vmware admin. i don't mind that work, if the job is not a pressure cooker. maintaining a banks transaction and storage environments or a healthcares datawarehouse sucks. good money, stress out the ass. oncall, RCA's, phone bridges in the middle of the night, that kind of schit. schit goes sideways and the buzzards circle. everybody in those environments is stressed usually. i would like to find a low stress linux admin job where i am not the Man. hit and run contracting has its appeal, but you are treated like a janitor most of the time. i could be an old fugger IT guy at a community college though. but those jobs pay less than unemployment usually.

My diploma is a DD214
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by BobBrown

i used to be able to kick a brothas ass but that schit hurts too much these days. i'd be good for 30-45 seconds of furious action and then looking for the exit. i would be more suited to being bounced than doing the bouncing anymore.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
rem,

Sorry about your situation. Best of luck with whichever path you choose.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Life throws us serious curve balls. I was just starting to make really good money when my heath problems overwhelmed me. Decide what you can control and what you can't. Try not to waste too much time worrying about what you can't and make some positive goals with what you can.

Its hard to shift gears when work has been a huge part of your life. Focus on what you have and enjoy your time now that it's yours. Sounds like you were smart and better prepared than some. I could have been much better prepared with a few more years but it turns out I was better prepared than I thought. Its been good to have a paid off house.

If it wasn't for $2000/month in medical premiums and lots of medical bills on top we would have got by even better. Look into medishare and those types of plans if your relatively healthy. Don't underestimate your value or your skills. You know some useful stuff and could find something you enjoy more. Best of luck.

Bb

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BobBrown

i used to be able to kick a brothas ass but that schit hurts too much these days. i'd be good for 30-45 seconds of furious action and then looking for the exit. i would be more suited to being bounced than doing the bouncing anymore.

#ThroatPunch

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
thank you for all the kinds words and encouragement gents. its what i needed. that and a nice long walk in the woods.

My diploma is a DD214
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,283
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.