Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Someone should start a thread asking about how to correctly use a chronograph.

Overheard at Cabelas...

1. Using a chronograph helped me see how fast my bullets were going and still be safe. I know they are fast and safe because I didn't see any pressure signs. My chronograph confirmed my loads.
2. Using a chronograph made me realize how much more propellant I could add. I increased the powder level until I got the same velocities that others were getting from their rifles.
3. Using a chronograph helped me determine what the maximum safe velocity was for my loads. It was easy. I just loaded what I had been using for years, but I actually got to see the velocity on the screen! I bought an Oehler so I could correctly measure my old loads. No Chronos, Caldwells, or Pro Chronos for me! I do not want to take a chance with a cheap chronograph and blow myself up!
4. Using a chronograph is easy. No skill or instruction is required. For example, I never worried about extreme spread or any of that stuff before. I was grouping an inch with my Savage 308, but after reading about extreme spread and the number of shots required to get an accurate reading, I am sure that I can build loads that will have single digit ES and therefore reduce the size of my groups to half what I am getting now!
5. If I don't use a chronograph, and just load according to the manual, is that dangerous? Should I buy one?
6. My buddy says I should just buy ballistics software. No point investing in a chronograph too.
7. I don't own a chronograph. My buddy says the only ones to consider are Oehlers or Labradar ones. They're expensive though! Why can't I just buy a Chrony? I don't care if it's 10 or 15 fps off.
8. Do I really need a chronograph? I was with my buddy who owns one. Setting them up is a PITA! And the guys at the range give me 'that look'!
9. Who needs a chronograph? Years ago, I bought Lee scoops. I add powder in the scoop and level it with a playing card. My rifle groups an inch at 100 yd! You guys are a hoot!

laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Someone should start a thread asking about how to correctly use a chronograph.

Overheard at Cabelas...

1. Using a chronograph helped me see how fast my bullets were going and still be safe. I know they are fast and safe because I didn't see any pressure signs. My chronograph confirmed my loads.
2. Using a chronograph made me realize how much more propellant I could add. I increased the powder level until I got the same velocities that others were getting from their rifles.
3. Using a chronograph helped me determine what the maximum safe velocity was for my loads. It was easy. I just loaded what I had been using for years, but I actually got to see the velocity on the screen! I bought an Oehler so I could correctly measure my old loads. No Chronos, Caldwells, or Pro Chronos for me! I do not want to take a chance with a cheap chronograph and blow myself up!
4. Using a chronograph is easy. No skill or instruction is required. For example, I never worried about extreme spread or any of that stuff before. I was grouping an inch with my Savage 308, but after reading about extreme spread and the number of shots required to get an accurate reading, I am sure that I can build loads that will have single digit ES and therefore reduce the size of my groups to half what I am getting now!
5. If I don't use a chronograph, and just load according to the manual, is that dangerous? Should I buy one?
6. My buddy says I should just buy ballistics software. No point investing in a chronograph too.

laugh

The ignorance is staggering

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Like most everything else in life the truth is somewhere in the middle when it comes to Chrony chronographs, I would suggest that the biggest issue with them is with not setting them up properly. I have compared the velocity readings on mine against an Oehler and a LabRadar and all three were close enough that I do not have concerns about it giving bad readings, mine is 30 years old and still works just fine.

Chrony's seem to draw the same sort of condemnation as Remington bolt handles and Leupold scopes - "haters are going to hate", that's just human nature. As some other poster mentioned they made a product that was affordable and allowed a lot of folks to own a chronograph who couldn't have afforded one otherwise.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by drover
...Chrony's seem to draw the same sort of condemnation as Remington bolt handles and Leupold scopes - "haters are going to hate", that's just human nature...

drover

I know what you mean. I wonder about these people.

Yesterday, I decided to test some reloads for my 222 Remington. The test bed was a Remington 788 with a 3x9 Leupold scope. The chrono was a Chrony.

So I get to the range and set up. I looked downrange through the scope and I noticed the crosshairs were leaning! What the...?!!? Then, when I went to cycle the action, the bolt handle came off in my hand! No more cheap Remingtons or crappy Leupolds for me!

But I was already there and thought I could make do. After this lousy beginning, what else could go wrong? The stupid Chrony wouldn't turn on, that's what! It was one of those red Chronys. I even tried two sets of fresh batteries. I was really disappointed. I found a good load with 50 gr. VMaxes, last time I was there. According to my notes, they grouped at half an inch, at 4025 fps avg.

laugh laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
WOW, time to back off the moonshine and take a rest Steve tired

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think you're upset because you like Remington rifles, Leupold scopes and Shooting Chronys. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve, i don't think you were using the right powder if all you could get was 4025fps😂
I did have the hairs tilt once while i was shooting a 30-06 with them saboted 55g 22's. Hand loaded of course! None of those pokey factory rounds for me.
4250 fps. Ground squirrels vaporized. Until i couldnt hit em. Sent the scope back to baush and lomb. They returned it in a week. Note with it said "tilt, you may want to check your loads!"
Maybe you want some saboted 223 55grainers? Or maybe a mdl 70 with a frozen bolt?😄😄

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Steve, i don't think you were using the right powder if all you could get was 4025fps😂
I did have the hairs tilt once while i was shooting a 30-06 with them saboted 55g 22's. Hand loaded of course! None of those pokey factory rounds for me.
4250 fps. Ground squirrels vaporized. Until i couldnt hit em. Sent the scope back to baush and lomb. They returned it in a week. Note with it said "tilt, you may want to check your loads!"
Maybe you want some saboted 223 55grainers? Or maybe a mdl 70 with a frozen bolt?😄😄

I think you're right. I am going to have to start using faster burning, spherical powder so I can cram more in! laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 300_savage
I agree that the Chrony has its faults. I learned long ago that overcast days were my friend. But it really put an affordable chronograph in the hands of shooters back in the day, though most have upgraded to more reliable equipment. I used my Chrony for a physical science lab where the students fired a Styrofoam dart from a dart gun and measured velocity, then used the dart's mass and velocity to do KE and momentum calculations. Had to play with the lighting then too to make it work well.

I've had their very basic F1 Chrony for maybe 30 years now and it's been fine as far as I know. I check it regularly with subsonic Eley .22 RF ammo for measured consistency. Never any surprises so far. If it wasn't for the F1 Chrony being so affordable, I probably wouldn't have one. ( I never shoot it, never understood the need to do that). As far as lighting, you almost have to use an incandescent bulb to have any luck, fluorescent lamps with their 60 HZ flicker confuses the timing screens into thinking they are shadows of bullets passing thru the screens. This has been my observation anyway for the last thirty years. I think I gave $60 for it from Midway and that's not a bad return for 30 years of service.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,930
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.