Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Ultra-long-range match bullets for the big boomers are made of lathed mono-metal. It doesn't matter to me, but I am guessing that mono-metal target bullets can be lathed in a way that allows them to travel down the bore with less resistance and less deformation, thus producing more consistent BC over the flight of the bullet. I don't think this matters for bench rest, but it likely does at a mile and beyond.
Do they still machine driving bands into them? That feature is nearly impossible to make on a conventional jacketed bullet.

Monos also solve the problem of bullet blowup from driving long, high BC bullets fast.

I can't recall not seeing one of them without the driving band, gas seal, or whatever they want to call it. And I agree that jacketed bullets would not work with such, as they "slug up" when fired.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Because if you use a FMJ, the base is open. Open bases are notoriously inconsistent and that degrades accuracy. Even Lapua discontinued their FMJ match bullets.

They are HP because everyone wants the utmost in length consistency for seating at the most accurate OAL. Soft points have inconsistent lengths and the tips are easily damaged.

Yes, the empty space/balance in the jacket has an effect on accuracy, however small, with Berger introducing their "column target bullets" that is supposed to have that empty space optimized.

Tyrone mentions the reason in hi first paragraph.
The way bullets are made is that a ram pushes on a copper plate to make a cup that is then filled with lead. You can make the open end of the cup, the bullet jacket, either at the front or the back of the bullet. The most important part of a bullet as far as stability is concerned is the last little bit that touches the rifling as it exits the muzzle, that is, the base of the bullet. In order for that to be the most uniform and consistent, manufacturers fill the lead in from the other end - the hollow point.
At least that's the way the US Army Marksmanship Unit explained it to me.

Have you been able to do any sling matches this year?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (2ndwind, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 16 invisible), 1,667 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,482
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.