Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Charlie_Sisk
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Given that there are no signs of excess pressure, and 80K is well into the pressure that causes cartridge brass alloy to flow, I find the 80K+ figure suspect. And if that is what 80K+ PSI loads look like, I fail to see what the risk is.

This sends a chill up my spine.....
Charlie

I agree. Just because you can't see it...

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Winchester large rifle primers in ALL my cartridges. They all look like the pic on the left. WLRPs are known to be soft.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Buford,
Interesting post for sure. I know you've spent years studying the science of ballistics. One thing I also notice when shooting a high-pressure round is that I definitely notice muzzle blast to be "sharp" as well as recoil to be more "snappy" if there's such a thing. Accuracy also diminishes. In your pictures above, I'd be curious to know if chamber finish had an effect on the reason for not showing bolt swipe indications.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B

Originally Posted by devnull
Buford,
Interesting post for sure. I know you've spent years studying the science of ballistics. One thing I also notice when shooting a high-pressure round is that I definitely notice muzzle blast to be "sharp" as well as recoil to be more "snappy" if there's such a thing. Accuracy also diminishes. In your pictures above, I'd be curious to know if chamber finish had an effect on the reason for not showing bolt swipe indications.

The rifles were secured in a fixture and the pressure test system is also mounted to a fixture so I can't comment on recoil. I didn't notice anything abnormal about the muzzle blast but normally "doubled up" on hearing protection when shooting inside.

I don't have any way to intelligently reply to your question on chamber finish but think it was whatever was normally done when building the rifles.

My whole point for posting this was to provide information:

I thought I could recognize pressure signs.

Later experience with actual SAAMI pressure testing procedures taught me different.

I suspect most handloaders that "see pressure signs" are already above SAAMI recommendations. Note that they are "recommendations" and not laws.

How much pressure each shooter is willing to accept, and the way way they determine that, is totally up to them.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Charlie_Sisk
Given that there are no signs of excess pressure, and 80K is well into the pressure that causes cartridge brass alloy to flow, I find the 80K+ figure suspect. And if that is what 80K+ PSI loads look like, I fail to see what the risk is.

This sends a chill up my spine.....
Charlie

What I am saying there, Charlie, is that if there are no signs of high pressure, one hypothesis is that there isn't high pressure being exerted. It's possible that the pressure testing equipment is poorly calibrated or flawed in some other way.

The problem with high pressure isn't high pressure. It is the results of high pressure. If those results don't occur, either the pressure isn't high, or it isn't a problem.

That doesn't mean I would just load and shoot more of those. I am saying that thousands of guys over several decades have loaded and shot millions of those. Let's not pretend this hasn't happened, and then turn into Pollyannas. Let's deal with reality.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BufordBoone

Originally Posted by devnull
Buford,

The rifles were secured in a fixture and the pressure test system is also mounted to a fixture so I can't comment on recoil. I didn't notice anything abnormal about the muzzle blast but normally "doubled up" on hearing protection when shooting inside.

I don't have any way to intelligently reply to your question on chamber finish but think it was whatever was normally done when building the rifles.

My whole point for posting this was to provide information:

I thought I could recognize pressure signs.

Later experience with actual SAAMI pressure testing procedures taught me different.

I suspect most handloaders that "see pressure signs" are already above SAAMI recommendations. Note that they are "recommendations" and not laws.

How much pressure each shooter is willing to accept, and the way way they determine that, is totally up to them.

Buford
You statement is right on with my testing and experience...I thought I could recognize pressure signs.

Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Huntnshoot
I greatly respect your ideas and opinions. Sharing ideas and opinions are what makes the Campfire a great place. But, I want to say in the most respectful way, sir, I dont agree. I think it's best I refrain from further discussion on this particular thread as I dont think I can bring anything to the table.
Thanks
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
...What I am saying there, Charlie, is that if there are no signs of high pressure, one hypothesis is that there isn't high pressure being exerted. It's possible that the pressure testing equipment is poorly calibrated or flawed in some other way.

The problem with high pressure isn't high pressure. It is the results of high pressure. If those results don't occur, either the pressure isn't high, or it isn't a problem. ...

Is the cat alive, or is it dead?

Last edited by 5sdad; 01/27/21.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What I am saying there, Charlie, is that if there are no signs of high pressure, one hypothesis is that there isn't high pressure being exerted. It's possible that the pressure testing equipment is poorly calibrated or flawed in some other way.

The problem with high pressure isn't high pressure. It is the results of high pressure. If those results don't occur, either the pressure isn't high, or it isn't a problem.

That doesn't mean I would just load and shoot more of those. I am saying that thousands of guys over several decades have loaded and shot millions of those. Let's not pretend this hasn't happened, and then turn into Pollyannas. Let's deal with reality.

Over the last 20 years on 100 gun forums, I have learned the code words for the threshold of an effects of pressure problem, "long brass life".

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Over the last 20 years on 100 gun forums, I have learned the code words for the threshold of an effects of pressure problem, "long brass life".

Shooters have to learn not to hot rod cartridges. They laugh and say it's part of being a looney. It's not. If they truly were looneys, they would use the need for speed as an excuse to buy another rifle.

If they cannot afford another firearm, increasing pressure to dangerous levels with their existing rifle is an accident waiting to happen. The best case is you end up with a broken rifle and can no longer shoot. I don't think we need to talk about the worst case scenario.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know what speed certain cartridges get with certain weight bullets.

If I need bullets to go faster than what that cartridge is known to safely get, I simply go with a bigger case. I came to that conclusion some time back, trying to achieve a velocity goal with a .30-06 AI. It was a stretch, but I finally realized the .300 WinMag would easily do what I wanted....

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by BufordBoone
There has been a bit of discussion about safe pressures and how to "work up a load". Most people look at the base of a fired cartridge to determine "traditional reloader pressure signs". That, and measuring the case expansion, is the way I used to do it.

Attached is a photo of two fired cartridges. Using "traditional reloader pressure signs", I'd not be concerned with either one. The one on the left has a flatter primer but they are the same load, fired in the same rifle.

Do any of you see anything that would make you say the pressure was too high or would the load be OK?

[Linked Image]

BTW, based on piezo pressure testing of the same ammunition, it was significantly beyond pressure levels I'd be comfortable with. Memory is they were 80K+.

I’d guess the load on the right is from a clean bore. The load on the left looks to be cratering of the primer.( apparently excessive pressure in this case but definitely not always the case.) Nothing definitive however because you don’t have enough of the whole picture. Experienced reloaders know they have to couple that information ( primer appearance) rwith a chronograph reading, a reference to a loading manual, shooting conditions, knowledge about powder characteristics in all weather conditions, rifle behaviour and the rifle history. Given all of that, you would be able to guess that was an overpressure situation.

Any one of these indicators alone is pretty much worthless IMO, and I’m not sure when in history primer appearance became the traditional source of gauging the excessive pressure of a load. I don’t have the greatest memory but in the last 25 years of reloading I don’t recall primer appearance being touted as the sole source of pressure estimation in anything I’ve read. Could be before my time however.

Last edited by akaSawDoctor; 01/27/21.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
akaSawDoctor,

Did you read my column on primer appearance and pressure-guessing? It's still listed above the recent threads on this forum, and generated a LOT of debate:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ch-column-primer-flattening#Post13673133

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I know what speed certain cartridges get with certain weight bullets.

If I need bullets to go faster than what that cartridge is known to safely get, I simply go with a bigger case. I came to that conclusion some time back, trying to achieve a velocity goal with a .30-06 AI. It was a stretch, but I finally realized the .300 WinMag would easily do what I wanted....

Sensible. I think that some people believe that they can push the envelope because they have been reloading for a long time and consider themselves experts. Both in and out of the service, I have seen at least 10 rifles and several handguns come apart when they came across my bench.

6x45mm testing

This happened before Christmas. I was testing some 6x45mm loads. The first 20 shots (10 shots x two different powders) with some 85 gr Noslers were uneventful. The velocities varied from 2715 to 2767 fps. That's on the money for the 6x45mm.

When I started with the third powder, things seemed off. The velocities had climbed, and were hanging around 2800 to 2820 fps, so I stopped shooting them. I checked the cartridges, but nothing seemed wrong. No shininess, crated or pierced primers. At this point, the velocities were up a tad, but in my estimation, not dangerous.

I tried a fourth powder.

The first two shots chronoed at approximately 2850 fps. Alarm bells went off, so I stopped shooting the fourth powder.

Foolishly, I tried the fifth powder. The first shot chronoed at 2917 fps. Full stop. The increased recoil, primer appearance and velocity told me that there was something wrong. Probably too much powder. The combination of the three told me I had problems, so I went home.

I disassembled the loads and weighed them on three different scales - a Lee Safety scale, Ohaus 10-10 and the Lyman 1500

It did not take long to discover that there was something wrong with my Lyman digital scale. This was the scale I used to put the loads together.

When I turned it on, the display read 23.2 grains with nothing on, or around it. I let it warm up, calibrated it and weighed the powder. The display showed an amount less than the original charge weight. I threw the first powder load on my Lee and the Ohaus. The charge weight was supposed to be 25.8 grains, but showed 26.3 grains on the two beam scales.

I weighed the rest and they varied from 0.4 to 0.7 grains higher than what the Lyman told me.

I went to my computer and did some number crunching. It suggested that my pressures were around 60KPSI - but the software will have a bit of skew. It's a small case, so small differences can have a big effect. Was it only 60KPSI or could it have been higher?

Now, to my point.

I would not use primers as the sole indicator, because, at first, they seemed normal. It wasn't until later that I discovered there was too much powder in the cases. There was no cratering or pierced primers with the second or third loads. The trouble started with the fourth load - measuring 2800 to 2850 fps. Maybe 0.4 or 0.5 grains above max. The fourth load showed cratering. The fifth powder load, the one that measured 2917 fps, was 0.7 grains above what I considered was the max.

There were three things that told me I had problems. The combination of primer condition, the 2917 fps chrono display, and the increased recoil. You can see the case with the pierced primer. That was the fifth load. The two cases from the fourth load are beside it.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have never used primer appearance as an indicator of pressure the reason being it depended too much on other factors -such as headspace- than it does on actual pressure.

Instead, I pay attention to muzzle speed. Given the use and adequate powder-cartridge-bullet weight combination and barrel length, I consider I am within safe pressures if I am within reasonable speed limits. To determine what is a reaonable speed limit I refer to manuals which publish pressuure tested loads, the experience of knowledgeable authors like Mule Deer, and my own brains.

New powders that seem to hold pressures longer could change the picture and move the speeds another 100fps higher -Re26/270WCF/150gr is a good example- but I yet have to lay my hands on any.

I don't see any practical advantage in getting those 100 extra fps and when I thought I needed them I shot larger cartridges.

Alvaro

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
akaSawDoctor,

Did you read my column on primer appearance and pressure-guessing? It's still listed above the recent threads on this forum, and generated a LOT of debate:

I hadn’t read it up until now. Good article and a little bit more to add to the tool box. Thanks John.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
akaSawDoctor,

Great article, MD. Wish I had seen it earlier. I'm a big fan of Hatcher's Notebook.

BTW, on primers backing out, I saw definitive proof of this when measuring "barrel time". We instrumented a fixture with an oscilloscope and energized it with a 9v battery such that firing pin contact with the primer completed the electrical circuit. In addition, we setup high-speed video with good backlighting so that we could observe the firing pin movement and projectile exit. I think we shot the video at 10K frames/second but it may have been higher.

The firing pin came out, impacted the primer, bounced (don't know if this bounce was specific to this fixture or normal), primer backed out, case backed into breach block and obturated.

It was fascinating video to watch. Not only were we fascinated by it but the engineers for a major ammunition manufacturer were, as well.

Crimping the primer pockets, in this instance, greatly reduced or removed the primer backout.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I operate under the premise that metal fatigue is cumulative but failure of a rifle action happens all at once, sometimes with no indications of a problem other than velocities or powder charges that indicate you're operating above the range that's safe. In other words like someone already said, high pressure isn't a problem until it is. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that.

And I've seen it happen. It wasn't my rifle but my son who was 12 at the time had been shooting the same rifle with the same loads about 30 minutes prior. That will get your attention.

And the guy who owned the rifle was more experienced than most on here and didn't hot rod his loads.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by smokepole

I operate under the premise that metal fatigue is cumulative but failure of a rifle action happens all at once, sometimes with no indications of a problem other than velocities or powder charges that indicate you're operating above the range that's safe. In other words like someone already said, high pressure isn't a problem until it is. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that.

And I've seen it happen. It wasn't my rifle but my son who was 12 at the time had been shooting the same rifle with the same loads about 30 minutes prior. That will get your attention.

And the guy who owned the rifle was more experienced than most on here and didn't hot rod his loads.

Metal fatigue is indeed cumulative, yet when metal lets go it is sudden and mostly without warning

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475

Metal fatigue is indeed cumulative, yet when metal lets go it is sudden and mostly without warning

Absolutely spot on. That is why G meters are installed on aircraft and service life gets adjusted depending on that.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 204guy, 260Remguy, 222ND, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,533
Posts18,530,989
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.