Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Get youself one of them light scalpel changable blade units if your hunting becuase most folks dont know how to sharpen blades. Just a fact.

After that buy a Mora 511 theyre close to $10 and light. If you need a bit better one that excellent for food prep and has better handle but still thin and light then purchase a Mora Kansbol. This is an excellent fixed blade. Then put a small Opinel folder in your pocket.

You should have a saw and Gerber makes a cheap and very light sliding blade pocket saw that can be had for $10-$12.

These tools are what you need to process game quickly, use as food prep tools, and its toolage enough to process small wood and get to the center so you can get to dry kindling. All of these together weigh less than a robust fixed blade and theyre cheap. You dont need to use some custom blade from a well known maker or pricey super steels. Keep your tools maintained and sharp and when you go afield theyll take care of you.

I used to have one of these Gerber sliding saws. It was a real POS. It wouldn't stay open. Every time you pushed it forward, the blade would retract. A Sierra saw is 10x better for about the same price.

this one has Bear Grylls' name on it but it's the same saw.
[Linked Image from alanrhone-store.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
I carry a havalon for cutting animals and a folder for other chores (usually a brous blades pat mac).

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
These are much better for a hand saw

https://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet...T2v8nK6_CCn5kmSIKDXTy0lVHuAaAnlNEALw_wcB

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Get youself one of them light scalpel changable blade units if your hunting becuase most folks dont know how to sharpen blades. Just a fact.

After that buy a Mora 511 theyre close to $10 and light. If you need a bit better one that excellent for food prep and has better handle but still thin and light then purchase a Mora Kansbol. This is an excellent fixed blade. Then put a small Opinel folder in your pocket.

You should have a saw and Gerber makes a cheap and very light sliding blade pocket saw that can be had for $10-$12.

These tools are what you need to process game quickly, use as food prep tools, and its toolage enough to process small wood and get to the center so you can get to dry kindling. All of these together weigh less than a robust fixed blade and theyre cheap. You dont need to use some custom blade from a well known maker or pricey super steels. Keep your tools maintained and sharp and when you go afield theyll take care of you.

I used to have one of these Gerber sliding saws. It was a real POS. It wouldn't stay open. Every time you pushed it forward, the blade would retract. A Sierra saw is 10x better for about the same price.

this one has Bear Grylls' name on it but it's the same saw.
[Linked Image from alanrhone-store.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a fan of the Silky saws and their clones (Fiskars, etc).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ribka

I have one of those in my pack, along with an extra 9" blade. The stock blade is too short for a lot of stuff.

― George Orwell

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Silky saws are great as are the Bacho. Even the light and small Openil pocket saw is pretty nice.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
On overnight trips (where weight and space are considerations): Do you carry a folder in your pocket (Benchmade, Spyderco, whatever) in addition to a multitool and/or a dedicated butchering knife?

No usually a shorter (3") fixed blade on my belt. I have a Swiss Army knife in my pack that actually does most of the skinning on deer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
a small Swiss army knife (Walker) in my pocket for general use- under 2 oz

a Tyto knife and 6 blades in kill kit- under 2 oz

a BM Altitude knife in kill kit- under 2 oz

a small multi-tool (Leatherman Squirt) in my repair kit, but also to assist w/ stubborn blade changes- 2 oz

a custom saw w/ Silky Pocketboy blades (one wood, one bone)- 2.4 oz

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Gerber Gator S30V in pack. Swiss Army “Hunter” on belt.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I have one of those in my pack, along with an extra 9" blade. The stock blade is too short for a lot of stuff.

Funny, I do exactly the same after finding the 6" blade a little short for taking off skull caps. Along with a fixed blade or two and my Leatherman all in the field kit. Probably a small folder with a clip in my pocket.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Thegman

Funny, I do exactly the same after finding the 6" blade a little short for taking off skull caps. Along with a fixed blade or two and my Leatherman all in the field kit. Probably a small folder with a clip in my pocket.
While I have one because they're handy, the recip blade isn't the best for a hand saw. It's made for high speed cutting and it doesn't cut as fast as the sharp toothed type that Silky or Sierra use.

― George Orwell

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I carry my Montana saw, Havalon , and a couple others, I am prepared.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by elkmen1
How are the Havalons for dressing and skinning? I've seen them but don't know much about how well they work.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
How well do the silky type blades do on bone? I use my saws for that a lot more than wood.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Thegman

While I have one because they're handy, the recip blade isn't the best for a hand saw. It's made for high speed cutting and it doesn't cut as fast as the sharp toothed type that Silky or Sierra use.

I've tried a few different types of blades on mine. Still looking for the best bone cutter, but they've all worked reasonably well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the extra fine blades work well for bone w/ the Silky

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I always carry a pocketknife. Usually a Swiss Army Farmer. When hunting I add a fixed blade that varies and oftentimes a folding saw.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkmen1
How are the Havalons for dressing and skinning? I've seen them but don't know much about how well they work.
IME, great! I prefer the #70 blade for skinning as it has a rounded tip. I have both the Havalon and ther Gerber Vital and prefer the latter due to ease of blade changing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see that Gerber blades are stupid expensive compared to Havalon or Outdoor edge. Do they stay sharp 3 times longer?

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No, the opposite actually. Although ime they were much cheaper.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,429
Posts18,470,760
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.