Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
There is no doubt the GP100 is the stronger gun, but the Security Six was plenty strong and I always wondered why they thought they needed the bulkier gun. Both are nice, but it was a big loss when the Security Six was discontinued.

The Security Six and the S&W K-frames both had issues with short bullets at high velocity, such as the 125 grain .357 Mag that was so popular in the day. Ruger went to the GP100 and S&W went to the L-frame. Both the Security Six and the K-frame were big losses that were largely avoidable at the time and still, but neither belongs on a "toughest" list.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have both Rugers and Smith's

Ford vs Chevy

As mentioned previous the Smiths IMHO are just more refined in my opinion two faves model 28 and 586

Short of reloading mis hap
Who could really wear out either one?
It would take a lot if your really wore one out you probably got your money's worth

I am surprised not more mention of Blackhawks pretty darn tough
Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 01/28/21.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
My King Cobra is pretty stout.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I'd have to guess that a Redhawk would be extremely strong. But I like a Security Six for a strong, mid frame .357 revolver.

I like K Frames, also. But I don't stress my K-Frames very much. About 25,000 PSI is the most I'll put through one.

Two years ago I picked up a super clean, pretty much unused 6” SS Security Six. It is a great revolver and I really like it. Compared to my S&Ws, its trigger is not nearly as “refined”, but I shoot it well. I love its “Redhawk Junior” looks. Very old school cool.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yep...Ruger GP100 would be my choice as the toughest double action revolver...👍....Hb

IC B2

S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Get a Ruger GP100 in 6 shot or 7 shot and Milt Sparks makes nice holster.

That's most likely where I'm headed, and yes, Milt Sparks makes great holsters, I already two.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Yep...Ruger GP100 would be my choice as the toughest double action revolver...👍....Hb

When put together correctly, I believe you are correct. However one must never underestimate Ruger's ability to screw the QC pooch.

Today, I'd order that GP in 10mm.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
toughest and cheapest would be redhawk. toughest and nicest would be s&w mod 27. the mod 28 is the same but not as polished. i am a smith guy so thats what i've chosen over the years. but rugers are good too. my brother owns about ever model made and loves them.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
33 years and still keeps on ticking. Gets my vote.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Way back when a buddy brought over his brand new .44 Redhawk one day to shoot. I got out my 629 to shoot that day. We both were shooting each others gun. The first thing I noticed shooting the Redhawk besides the trigger was the lag time in the hammer fall. It seem to me it took a long time. I did not like it. At that time the only Rugers I had were the Blackhawks and Single Six's.

His Redhawk is a better gun to test loads with instead of the 629.

I like my GP100. Comes in handy sometimes. Only if my hand can find it and grab it off the floorboard of the truck in time. Ha!

OP-- Get a GP100 4" and be done with it.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I’ve carried and shot my 586 quite a bit.

But if your looking at Rugers, then aesthetics don’t matter much. smile

Geesus,... standards.
Your kinda high brow for a country guy!
I better hire a feng shui consultant to pick out some assthetic grips to salvage what little credibility I'll have left if I go Ruger.

Hah! Yep.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Gibby
Way back when a buddy brought over his brand new .44 Redhawk one day to shoot. I got out my 629 to shoot that day. We both were shooting each others gun. The first thing I noticed shooting the Redhawk besides the trigger was the lag time in the hammer fall. It seem to me it took a long time. I did not like it. At that time the only Rugers I had were the Blackhawks and Single Six's.

His Redhawk is a better gun to test loads with instead of the 629.

I like my GP100. Comes in handy sometimes. Only if my hand can find it and grab it off the floorboard of the truck in time. Ha!

OP-- Get a GP100 4" and be done with it.

I've always liked Rugers, my first being a 4 digit .44 carbine. I've had a lot of their long guns as well as revolvers and a couple auto pistols. The first Ruger revolver I got was a 7 1/2" Redhawk .44 mag which I've had for 29 years. Most of my revolvers are S&W. The only Ruger revolver I've ever had that had a decent single action trigger break was the 2" SP 101 that my brother has had for the last 20 years or so and I'll never get it back from him. To me, the Ruger triggers can best be described as "mushy", and yes, the lock time seems noticeably slow (although not as slow as the Blackhawks I have.)

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Highway Patrolman. .357 in an N frame is a stout package. And it’s a Smith.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by SargeMO

When put together correctly, I believe you are correct. However one must never underestimate Ruger's ability to screw the QC pooch.

No way is the GP-100 stronger/rougher than a Redhawk in 357

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jwp475

But it is a lot handier.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by jwp475

But it is a lot handier.

Yep but the OP didn't mention handiest or anything about carrying

Just as the title says, what in your opinion is the gun to have that'll take a beating and keep on shooting?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
, I should have been more specific. I'm thinking along the lines of DA EDC for both town and country/back country where the reliability in adverse conditions would be most important, at least as far as revolvers can realistically be counted on. But also for self defense training because I don't have a lot of time with a revolver and want to learn if for no other reason than just because (channeling Bill Jordon?).

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Savuti
, I should have been more specific. I'm thinking along the lines of DA EDC for both town and country/back country where the reliability in adverse conditions would be most important, at least as far as revolvers can realistically be counted on. But also for self defense training because I don't have a lot of time with a revolver and want to learn if for no other reason than just because (channeling Bill Jordon?).

In that case the GP100

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
BFR in 357 probably. But it might only be the answer to the less specific initial question.

For EDC DA S&W, Ruger, Dan Wesson, and new Colts are comparable. S&W have good triggers (except J frames) and the most options. The Colt is overpriced. Ruger tends to offer fewer options and they don't offer a custom shop like the S&W Performance Center but if they sell what you want or you're willing to have a 3rd party gunsmith make it what you want then they work fine. Dan Wesson are out of production and while they offer numerous barrel lengths, there's only one frame size that's widely available. The Kimber is also worth considering if it's single frame size is right for you.

If you're serious about training and not just practice, get a revolver that accepts moon clips, a set of 25 to 50 moon clips, and a BMT mooner/de-mooner tool. Use .38 Special ammo or if you handload, mild 357's (like 1251200 or 1581050). With that setup and a good holster you will be able to train in the same classes with all the Glock shooters. There are revolver-specific classes also which I recommend seeking out but you don't really want to be limited to them.

While J-frame, LCR or the Kimber are attractive to many people for EDC, the smaller and lighter it is, the more it sucks for actually fighting which is the reason for carrying it. If you really want a fighting handgun, try an L frame, GP100 or N frame. I suppose a Python, DW or Korth would work too but I don't want to pay that much and still have to cut it for moon-clips. Moon clips aren't that critical for fighting, but they are for training which itself is critical to fighting. A K-frame might be the ideal balance between carry and shooting but they're not offered cut for clips. They can be cut by the PC or by TK or another gunsmith. Don't waste your money on "trigger-job" unless you have an infinite supply of Federal primers. The stock S&W trigger is fine and it will detonate any kind of pistol primer. If you learn the DA trigger pull, you won't need it to be 8 pounds.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Glock 20.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 21 invisible), 14,571 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,985
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.