Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have a deck that was made of Lowe's brand of composite about 8 or 10 years ago. Last year we decided to expand the deck but Lowes had dropped that color. I finally found some at Home Depot that was close but not an exact match. The deck was sort of L shaped. I removed some of the decking and rearranged it to get all the old stuff together and the new stuff together. The new stuff is slightly narrower so the spaces are larger but it came out ok. We did the expansion last spring so this is the 1st winter but so far it's looking good. Ask me again in 5 years.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Going on our seventh year with Trex installed with screws in this high-altitude sun-blasted and snowy Utah. Not one problem whatsoever.

Same with my Trex decking itself. I installed about 700 SF on my covered wrap around porch about 24 years ago. The Trex decking itself is as good as the day I installed it. Glad I used Trex.

Problem I am having now though is the joists underneath the decking is rotting after 24 years of lots of snow, rain, sun, and at 7,000 foot elevation. If I had thought about it back then, I would have installed pressure treated wood for the joists. I am going to have to take the deck apart to replace the joists probably within the next 2-3 years.

Last edited by flagstaff; 01/30/21.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by flagstaff
Going on our seventh year with Trex installed with screws in this high-altitude sun-blasted and snowy Utah. Not one problem whatsoever.

Same with my Trex decking itself. I installed about 700 SF on my covered wrap around porch about 24 years ago. The Trex decking itself is as good as the day I installed it. Glad I used Trex.

Problem I am having now though is the joists underneath the decking is rotting after 24 years of lots of snow, rain, sun, and at 7,000 foot elevation. If I had thought about it back then, I would have installed pressure treated wood for the joists. I am going to have to take the deck apart to replace the joists probably within the next 2-3 years.

You didn't use pressure treated for joists and it lasted 24 years?? Dang! That's a pretty good stretch!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I did 850 sf of trex transcend during covid. Resurface of a multilevel. I would just get clips set and then when whole run in place, go back and tighten down.

Can't believe I hadn't done this years ago.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have 2 large 16x20 decks, both with 20' long boards - no seams, straight runs (available at the time special order from home depot).

16" OC joists. Clips weren't an option for these boards 12 years ago, so counter-sunk screws.

Looks like the day I installed it. In Colorado - plenty of brutal sun and expand/contract.

I cannot IMAGINE the amount of sanding and staining I'd have done to 640 sq ft of real wood by now, in our climate.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Any way you can sister in some new joists without taking the deck apart?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Ya, I thought of that too. It might work. But my fear is the beams between the porch posts that these joists attach to are in sad shape too. I need to shimmy under my deck and see how it looks under there. Probably not going to like what I see.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It's like vinyl siding...sure it works but who wants a plastic house.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Who wants to have to refinish the deck every couple of years? I have better things to do.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by duck911
We have 2 large 16x20 decks, both with 20' long boards - no seams, straight runs (available at the time special order from home depot).

16" OC joists. Clips weren't an option for these boards 12 years ago, so counter-sunk screws.

Looks like the day I installed it. In Colorado - plenty of brutal sun and expand/contract.

I cannot IMAGINE the amount of sanding and staining I'd have done to 640 sq ft of real wood by now, in our climate.

You didn’t build a phugking deck. Do you you think we forgot your dumb question about how to attach wood siding to a house? Dumb azz

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
#Fancysteakhouses
#EliteClients
#YoureaFuggtardDuck

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't know why we didn't do it long ago. Materials are outrageous but not having to refinish is worth a lot of money.

The complaint of direct sunlight making it hot is legitimate. If that's a deal breaker, look elsewhere. Out deck is in the shade by 2-2:30 pm most days, and when in the shade, no problem walking on it with bare feet.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Go with a lighter color. Brown is nice but hot. Light gray or some of the other light shades stay considerably cooler.
That applies to roofs, too. A light colored roof will be cooler and last longer as it reflects more sun.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Going on almost 20 years with Trex in the Florida sun. Never a problem, and no splinters of any type, ever!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Ya, I thought of that too. It might work. But my fear is the beams between the porch posts that these joists attach to are in sad shape too. I need to shimmy under my deck and see how it looks under there. Probably not going to like what I see.

Good luck with what you find under there.

And enjoy that snow while you're getting it!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Been over a decade since I did a composite deck. What I do remember is 12" O/C on the stringers would have been way better than 16".

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Been over a decade since I did a composite deck. What I do remember is 12" O/C on the stringers would have been way better than 16".

In fairness, some composites are better than others... 16" O/C may be spec with newer composites.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
12" OC is ridiculous.

Anything under 16" points to a severe fault in the 'plastic' being used. Enjoy your plastic.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Ours came with instructions for 16". It's been fine for 5 or 6 years so far. There some flimsier brands, though.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Back when the emerald ash borer was tearing up Ohio et al... I scored quarter sawn ash for less than composite or 5/4 PT.

Made a hell of a good deck with it.

Lowes sells Trex at $28 on a 16'. That comes out to about $3.60 a board foot. Catch a sawmill guy and you can match that maybe with locust probably... maybe.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,572
Posts18,491,887
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.