Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
A couple come to mind , once I was waiting on a friend to drop a canoe in the water . He was late , got bored and walked out on a dam and was jigging a motor oil power worm between some broken concrete slabs below me . About twenty feet straight down into the water .
All at once I hooked into something like deadweight .
Thought I had snagged some trash , no action just a dead straight crank up .
Then I saw what looked like a black hole coming to surface , about the size of a coffee can .
As it was about to break the surface I saw two eyeballs and then realized it was a bucket mouth .
I thought now ain’t this a bitch , I done caught a dead fish , and a nice one .
As I cranked up it hung motionless on the line and was waiting for the funk to hit my nose .
But realized it had a perfect body for a dead fish .
Got it up face level looking it over , no movement , no stench .
So I grabbed it by the lower lip and removed hook . Then I noticed the gills moving ever so slightly . The water level behind me was about six inches below dam wall , so I turned and gently set him in the water . He just sat there motionless . Slight gill movement . So I grabbed his tail and swished him back and forth gently and turned loose , he sunk a little and very slowly swam off .
Weird as hell .
Kenneth

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Few years ago fishing for winter steelhead in the Oswego River behind the Bridie Manor when someone hooked a large beaver. It made quite a run down the river.

Friend caught a bat on a 6” Rapala while night fishing for browns on the Delaware River above Hancock. Didn’t realize that a bat had hit the lure and he got bit.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Setterman
Most guys fishing surface plugs on Cape Cod or Long Island Sound have likely caught or just missed catching a diving gull. It’s a great airborne battle.

Bob

True, and not just gulls... wink

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some bats, a couple ducks and coots, and have hooked two beaver. First beaver was on trout gear and immediately broke off. Second was on my steelhead rig and the remote release came when I had him within about 20 ft and contemplating a landing procedure. Anyone other than Trump know of a safe method for grabbing beaver without enduring injury.

Cookie lost the fish and her wedding ring while attempting to land a tuna off the Oregon coast. A year later to the day and in near the same spot, she landed and nice albacore, and we took it home and ate it.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/30/21.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had a few surprises but not as much fun as you fellas. Funniest tale I’ve heard happened in the Gulf Stream off the South Floriduh coast. Long liner working deep snagged a sub, thought to be Russian. They were in a large craft, somewhere around 50’ long, making 20+ knots northbound. When they first hooked up they thought it a fish and tied the line to the bollard up in the foredeck. Towed them several miles before they grabbed a knife.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
During March at Toledo Bend, we once caught so many crappie that we ran out of live minnows. Then we caught em’ with dead minnows. Then we caught em’ with cigarette butts. Then we caught em’ with boogers. No schit.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
caught a duck when i was a kid. i think it was in the currituck sound.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hooked a mallard fishing in the park near home when I was in grade school. We were targeting carp with bacon.

Sean
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Not much of a fisherman edcept for trout. I have caught a couple of water ouzles and a Kingfisher in freshwater.

In the ocean I hooked a thresher shark. That was an impressive but brief tussel.

Spearfishing for ten plus years we got a lot of unusual things. Having Ling cod attack smaller ones already on your stringer is pretty exciting. I did shoot one dog shark with my pole spear. It is in a big glass jar at the middle school my kids went to.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My son and I were bottom fishing for rockcod off Pt St George, and he got hung up...but we were using really heavy halibut gear, 100 pound braided line, well he would gain a few cranks every time the boat would recede from a swell, so he kept pulling until he was exhausted, I took over, fought "it" up for a while, the kid is standing by with a big 6 foot gaff, he backs away to the port side to ease the list in the rough water...he lets out with screech, "Pops look, Jesus it's an octopus or something". I looked to the port gunwale and sure enough it's a big old slimy tentacle probing over the gunwale. About that time on the starboard side the body was just about to break water. We both panicked then, I forgot all about eating it and just wanted it to go away, reached for my belt knife and slashed my line...in the meantime the kid is just whaling billy hell out of it's arm with the gaff, but it is sucked on tight. He screeched , "fire it up, let's get the hell out of here". I said whoa, what if it's tough enough to thrash the prop or outdrive? We look out to the horizon, there isn't another boat to be seen. OK, let's take the filet knife to that arm, surely it'll let go. About the fourth wicked slice "it" let go finally and sunk into the depths. Measuring the boat later, it had a 70 inch beam and a 32 inch deadrise...so that arm had to be 8 1/2 ft long. Fish & Game checker at the boat ramp really raised a doubting eyebrow at our story but one of the commercials says it happens that they come up out of the deep occasionally with cold water up wellings.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
5lb channel cat on a fly rod fishing for bluegills in less than an ft of water.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Lots of wood bass, rock bass, and weed bass. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn gulls. Gotta hide that bait.

A buddy and I were drifting with the ocean current just off the north coast of California jigging lures off the bottom for rock fish and ling. Buddy's rod suddenly doubles over and he starts fighting this big fish that was fighting funny. It was an epic battle. He finally got it to the boat and it's a big red abalone. Huge. His hook dragged the bottom and stuck just perfectly under the lip of the abalone shell and pried it off a submerged rock.
It was big one, and legal to keep.

Once caught a lawn chair with a catfish attached to it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Cormorant...

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Got a opened up umbrella once , it fought the whole way to shore, my buddies thought it was hilarious. It was pretty tough to pull through the weeds.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bottomfishing with my buddy a few years ago in my little 18' river boat on a flat day on some nearshore reefs. He gets hung up on the bottom, so I reel up and circle back around trying to get him loose. Eventually he starts to gain some line, but something is very odd.

Eventually he comes up with this girl:

[Linked Image]

Near as we can figure, the octopus grabbed his jig, then grabbed onto some rocks. Only when it eventually loosened it's grip could he pull it up. It was fairly docile intil I decided I wanted to get my jig back, like a dumbass.

The water jets and ink shots were pretty cool to see.

Another occasion about 50 nautical miles offshore in my Grady on a tuna run, off in the distance we see some sort of splashing. Thinking it's a school of tuna feeding, we pull up gear and head farther out to see what's going on.

Turns out it's a pretty damn big shark rubbing alongside an ancient log. It would rub alongside one direction, then turn and come back and rub along the other side. Guess it was rubbiing parasites? I dunno, but was cool to see.

It was not afraid of us whatsoever, and came over to where we were drifting and started rubbing alongside the boat.

Cue the music...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My boat is 25' plus an offshore bracket, so around 30' altogether. This dude was not quite half the length of the boat, but close. OK, maybe only a third, but I'm a fisherman. I lie.

Makes you realize you aren't the top of the food chain out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used to catch a really good buzz back in the day while soaking bait. Wasn't unusual though.

GOA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
On two occasions I caught bats while fly fishing at dusk. I also caught a big snapping turtle on a local river. Caught a 2' alligator while fishing for bass in a Florida pond. Also caught a eye full of boobs attached to a beautiful yet very embarrassed woman as I passed an anchored boat on afternoon. She must have dozed off sunbathing and didn't know I was there until way too late.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Was fishing for bluegills as a kid at my grampa's farm. Went to throw one into the bucket and an water moccasin came out of my bucket with one of my bluegills in it's mouth. Caught a seagull in Alaska. Got to remove a wooley bugger from an idiot friends ear. Used to catch bullfrogs with a fly rod for my grampa that loved frog's legs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've reeled in a handful of these things but the state has a minimum 250lb limit on keepers so I have to throw them back.

[Linked Image from ctl.s6img.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (AnthonyB, bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 9 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,234
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.