Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Bump for those getting ready for the season.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I started muzzle loading hobby in the '60's, never had to pull a breech plug, one of my guns was made in San Francisco in 1859, I doubt the breech plug was ever pulled....So is this a THING with the LGBTQ stainless inline crowd?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by antietamgw
I know nobody here would heat one without checking BUT, some years ago a local 'smith sent a load through his shop wall doing just that. Apparently never checked to see if it was even loaded before he headed for the torch. He's long gone now. It wasn't a story he liked to have get around. Don't be that guy...

When I was in gunsmithing school in Denver several decades ago, there was this nice hole in the overhead of my bench...... IIRC, that too was a heated ML, not checked for load by a predecessor

Last edited by las; 10/13/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by las
I know nobody here would heat one without checking BUT, some years ago a local 'smith sent a load through his shop wall doing just that. Apparently never checked to see if it was even loaded before he headed for the torch. He's long gone now. It wasn't a story he liked to have get around. Don't be that guy...

When I was in gunsmithing school in Denver several decades ago, there was this nice hole in the overhead of my bench...... IIRC, that too was a heated ML, not checked for load by a predecessor

Happens a lot more than you would think....or double loaded, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A rubber tipped blow gun on an air compressor will blow the bullet down the bore. I put a rag on the floor and blow the bore while touching the rag....very easy and safe.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Had a Knight’s in-line with a frozen breach plug I ended up drilling it for an easy-out to remove it. New plug pretty much a sure thing that’s going to be needed.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Isn't the Omega breach plug the same or similar to the Encore? I can put a socket on my Encore plug. Big wrench and good vise holding the barrel after its had a penetrating oil soak should do it.

I'd plug the breech plug and put a healthy dose down the barrel and stand it up and let it sit a few days.

I'd agree....I don't know about metallurgy but I'm not heating steel red hot not knowing what it'll do for the structural integrity. Maybe it's OK? Do I want 40+k PSI 2 inches from my face in compromised metal? Nope!

Also good call on making dang sure it's not loaded.

I bought an Encore and the guy shipped it to my shop....we did the transfer....went home to inspect it. Pushed out a couple pellets and a power belt. Never assume a muzzleloader is unloaded. Verify.

I pull my plug every cleaning, clean it and then put antiseize on the threads just to make sure I don't get it stuck.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
well after hearing all this breech plug trouble i took my Omega breech plug out with my socket/set kit i put in my musket box cleaned the plug and put new breech plug lube on it. thanks for the reminder,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Store them without plug in

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have 150lb air pressure here. It will not budge any bullet in the 3 of my 50 cal rifles. Doesn't matter which bullets either. I have 5 different conical bullet molds, round balls and sabots. NONE will blow out with air.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by readonly
Originally Posted by las

Happens a lot more than you would think....or double loaded, etc.

Yup, I have a good friend missing his right thumb do to a similar accident. The guy who brought the gun in swore he "didn't know it was loaded".

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (1936M71, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,167 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,547
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.